Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

thatz ironnick
Gerbil
Topic Author

Blu-ray drive

Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:40 am

I've been thinking about blowing some money on one of these drives, but I don't know, will it be worth it? I'm planning on getting the 24 inch Gateway as well with it so that I can watch the Harry Potter series in 1080P :]

What kind of experiences have you guys had with Blu-ray drives?
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz | 2 GB DDR2 Corsair Dominator (PC2 8500) | Cooler Master CM 690 | ATI HD 4850 | Hitachi 500 GB (7200 RPM) | Gigabyte X48 DQ6 | Antec Earthwatts 650 watt

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Re: Blu-ray drive

Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:42 am

For the computer? I'm waiting for Vista's Media Center to support it, then I'll get one.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:11 pm

I prefer to watch Blu-Ray discs on my 65" TV, but if that's all ya got... :-)

Actually, I was thinking more about getting a Blu-Ray drive for the 'puter to see if I could rip Blu-Ray discs, down-convert them, and reburn them to a DVD so that we can get the latest kids discs in Blu-Ray, but still play them in the DVD player in the car. Not sure how well something like this would work, yet, though.

thatz ironnick
Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:46 pm

Buub wrote:

Actually, I was thinking more about getting a Blu-Ray drive for the 'puter to see if I could rip Blu-Ray discs, down-convert them, and reburn them to a DVD so that we can get the latest kids discs in Blu-Ray, but still play them in the DVD player in the car. Not sure how well something like this would work, yet, though.

That would be pretty cool. If you try it out tell us how it goes k? Yea i would watch Blu-rays on the Sony Hi-Def, but thats not happening with my parents who watch HDTV pretty all the time after work. I just want to watch in my room (Harry Potter ftw :]).
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz | 2 GB DDR2 Corsair Dominator (PC2 8500) | Cooler Master CM 690 | ATI HD 4850 | Hitachi 500 GB (7200 RPM) | Gigabyte X48 DQ6 | Antec Earthwatts 650 watt

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:15 am

Buub wrote:

Does it have a video input on it that you can plug in another player and use the built-in screens?

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:34 pm

thatz ironnick wrote:
Buub wrote:

That would be pretty cool. If you try it out tell us how it goes k? Yea i would watch Blu-rays on the Sony Hi-Def, but thats not happening with my parents who watch HDTV pretty all the time after work. I just want to watch in my room (Harry Potter ftw :]).
More and more Blu-ray movies are coming with "digital copy" these days which makes this relatively painless (and 100% legal)...I wish all of them came with it.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:47 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Buub wrote:

Does it have a video input on it that you can plug in another player and use the built-in screens?

Yes, but I'm not buying a Blu-Ray player for the car just so the kids can step on it and drop crap all over it!

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:48 pm

Vrock wrote:
thatz ironnick wrote:
Buub wrote:

More and more Blu-ray movies are coming with "digital copy" these days which makes this relatively painless (and 100% legal)...I wish all of them came with it.

Cool, I'll have to check on that.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:00 pm

You can pick up a reader for about 150 and a writer for about 250 still a bit steep in price if you ask me. Blank media you can burn at 10 bucks a pop hurts to. Personally I would want the writer to be in the 150 range to buy and the reader in the 75 dollar price range. Prices arent going to do anything but go down so the long you hold out the more money you will save.

thatz ironnick
Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:21 pm

Hance wrote:
You can pick up a reader for about 150 and a writer for about 250 still a bit steep in price if you ask me. Blank media you can burn at 10 bucks a pop hurts to. Personally I would want the writer to be in the 150 range to buy and the reader in the 75 dollar price range. Prices arent going to do anything but go down so the long you hold out the more money you will save.

Do you know if I can have dual monitors with Blu-Ray? I intend to get a huge collection of movies, and ideally, I want to set up two 24 inch monitors in my room (hooked up to my 4850) and have one monitor playing Blu-Ray and the other I can do my photo-editing and video-editing?