Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

GodsMadClown
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Very nice price on a very decent receiver

Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:33 am

Ripped from Dealnews.com

Refurbished Onkyo TX-SR500 Dolby Digital Receiver for $134

OneCall.com offers the factory-refurbished Onkyo TX-SR500 Dolby Digital Home Theater Receiver for $133.87. That's $16 off our last mention and $140 less than the best price we could find for a new, factory-sealed unit. Add $22.96 for shipping. Features include five channels at 65 watts per channel, dedicated subwoofer output with selectable crossover, and Dolby Digital, DTS, and Pro Logic II decoding. A one-year Onkyo warranty applies. Offer ends July 14, 2003.

I used to own one. It was lost in an apartment fire, but it had excellent sound for twice that price, and more than enough wattage for a small/medium room, like the one that a computer might be in. It also has multichannel analog inputs, making it a good match for the analog outputs of something like a Revo or an Audigy2. Any ideas on a good 5.1 speaker package to match this to? Can we come up with a decent alternative to a set of Promedias, at the same price point?

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:59 pm

I still love my reliable old Onkyo home theater receiver (Onkyo Integra TX-DS838). The even-older Onkyo Integra AV-810S Pro that I had before it is still going strong in my parents' living room.

I picked up some decent Infinity bookshelf speakers to use as surrounds from my local Circuit City for less than the cost of the Klipsch Pro-media system. Circuit City has "Open Box" or trade-in items on display in one area of the store that are usually marked down to about half of the retail price. I used to go in every so often and offer them half of that. Sometimes they would take it, and sometimes we would settle on something in between.

jim021
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:40 pm

Sounds like you are a perfect match for the logitech z-680s..

Price: 300 USD

Wonderful system, and you dont need that reciever because its the only high quality system that includes an external decoder. Meh, instead of typing out all the specs ill give you the link. This baby (which i own 8) ) is the main competitor and in my mind victor of the fight against the promedias

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page= ... nguageid=1

Dont buy from anywhere that is selling them for more than the area of 300, or ur being ripped. Best bet is newegg.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:31 pm

the logitech z-680s... you dont need that reciever because its [z-680s] the only high quality system that includes an external decoder

Klipsch has a set of 5.1 speakers that include an external Dolby Digital, DTS, and ProLogic decoder.

Something like Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Digital Dream system... I have a set sitting on my desk. And I'm quite sure my neighbors can hear them when I turn them up. :-) Klipsch was the first company to make THX certified multimedia (i.e. computer) speakers.

But I only use them for gaming and mp3s. When I actually watch movies I have a Sony ES DD/DTS receiver (ES is Sony's exclusive high-end line), 200Wx5, sitting beside my 65" HD TV. :-)

jim021
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Jul 13, 2003 7:24 pm

Ya, thats basically the promedias with that external decoder they sell as a combo, except with a bit of a price break because ur buying them as a combo.