Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

That felt good. Where's the pride?

Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:46 pm

It's another sad day for TR.

And as you can see the butt-whooping we got today is NOT the last.

Thank you may I have another?
Last edited by Gerbil Jedidiah on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

Fastfreak39
Gerbil Elite

Re: That felt good.

Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:59 pm

Hmm I don't like seeing my fellow gerbils in trouble. I had to curtail my folding operation since summer arrived. Maybe if I grab 2 more case fans and lower the oc a bit I can help out. I'll order fans tomorrow if you tell me which ones to get :D They have to be no louder than antec 3-speeds.

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:24 pm

Is that like 8th place overall in the entire world? If so, dang not bad for a website for PC enthusiasts.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:44 pm

Fastfreak39 wrote:
Hmm I don't like seeing my fellow gerbils in trouble. I had to curtail my folding operation since summer arrived. Maybe if I grab 2 more case fans and lower the oc a bit I can help out. I'll order fans tomorrow if you tell me which ones to get :D They have to be no louder than antec 3-speeds.

Thanks Freak for helping out :D

Lowering the OC would probably allow you to fold without the fans. If you really want them, though, try Ninja Scythe fans.

You're best bet may be running the GPU2 client on that 9600GT of yours. I think that card is capable of 3k PPD, maybe more.
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:49 pm

Yes, we're #8 in the world, now, but we're heading for #10 within a few months, and eventually #12. We had been #7, and as recently as last year we were threatening to overtake #6 because we were outproducing Alliance Francophone.

They kicked it up a notch, but we did not.

(And I think Team MacOS X passed us not too long ago, too.)
Last edited by Ragnar Dan on Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:50 pm

ssidbroadcast wrote:
Is that like 8th place overall in the entire world? If so, dang not bad for a website for PC enthusiasts.

We were #6 just a few months ago. Sadly, our relative folding prowess weakens as other websites grow stronger. My theory is that the other sites are rallying the troops and getting them to run the GPU2 client. It's a new beta client that produces wicked numbers. Anyone with a recent Nvidia or ATI card can run it.

Byzantine1453
Gerbil

Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:34 pm

I lost most my folding power after i switched jobs :(...I had every comp in my company folding and friends comps going at it. I went from about 38 comps down to just 3 comps.. O plus my ps3 died within 2 weeks of owning it so that shut down my ps3 folding :(
E6600 2.88GHZ | Corsair 4GB DDR2 800 | 3x320 GB Raid 0 | BFG Geforce 8800GTX | Xonar D2 | OCZ 800 watt

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:43 pm

ssidbroadcast wrote:

Who else folds? The top teams are nearly, if not entirely, PC enthusiast websites.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:31 pm

Byzantine1453 wrote:
I lost most my folding power after i switched jobs :(...I had every comp in my company folding and friends comps going at it. I went from about 38 comps down to just 3 comps.. O plus my ps3 died within 2 weeks of owning it so that shut down my ps3 folding :(

Your 8800 GTX would be a folding monster if you installed the GPU2 client. You'd get over 4,000 PPD, maybe even 5,000.

kitsura
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:59 am

I have a MacBook Pro which i can deploy but I've never been able to make it fold once the screen is closed as it will always go into suspend mode. Anyone with any solutions.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:17 pm

Whomever moved this thread to the Distributed Computing forum did a disservice to the team.

themattman
Gerbil Elite

Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:45 pm

I feel that we should send some sort of mass PM asking the forum-goers to try the GPU client if possible. It would require a lot less GPU's than CPU's to gain back our spot.
|Intel Q9450 @3.6 1.425v|Lapped TRUE|Gigabyte EP45-UD3P|Mushkin & Patriot 2x2gb DDR2-900|EVGA 8800 GTS 512 750/1873/1000|Antec 900|Corsair 520HX|Asus Xonar DX|
13895 3DMarks

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:14 pm

themattman wrote:
I feel that we should send some sort of mass PM asking the forum-goers to try the GPU client if possible. It would require a lot less GPU's than CPU's to gain back our spot.

I don't see why we can't get an article on the front page.

So, anyone, why can't we get an article on the front page?

Guys, whether you fold or not, you gotta admit, TR is taking this one lying down. Let's put up a fight!

I wonder how other websites promote folding? Let's see, ah HA!, Front page article!!!

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:16 pm

kitsura wrote:
I have a MacBook Pro which i can deploy but I've never been able to make it fold once the screen is closed as it will always go into suspend mode. Anyone with any solutions.

It's possible to flip a switch somewhere in the software that will prevent it from going to sleep on screen close (always, though, so you'd have to put it to sleep manually when you wanted to); you could google it.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:17 pm

And here's the article. Sounds like they actually have a little enthusiasm. We need that!

http://www.custompc.co.uk/news/604563/c ... -spot.html

CustomPC wrote:
It may have taken 4.5 months to get there since we took the number 8 spot on the leaderboard, but all your work has been worthwhile as Custom PC’s world-class folding team has now proudly taken the number 7 slot from The_Tech_Report.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Re: That felt good. Where's the pride?

Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:24 pm

I suppose someone could ask them how much a front page ad costs.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:19 am

david00214 wrote:
And here's the article. Sounds like they actually have a little enthusiasm. We need that!

http://www.custompc.co.uk/news/604563/c ... -spot.html

CustomPC wrote:
It may have taken 4.5 months to get there since we took the number 8 spot on the leaderboard, but all your work has been worthwhile as Custom PC’s world-class folding team has now proudly taken the number 7 slot from The_Tech_Report.

Think about what you can do then. ;)
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:01 am

Ragnar Dan wrote:
Whomever moved this thread to the Distributed Computing forum did a disservice to the team.
How dare they move a thread on distributed computing to the distributed computing forum!?

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:36 am

mattsteg wrote:
Ragnar Dan wrote:
How dare they move a thread on distributed computing to the distributed computing forum!?

Let's not get of the topic here, It's a serious concern for TR's folding team cause we are getting out numbered by the other teams. :(

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:20 pm

I've been out of comission {mostly} for months now. I can't have a computer putting off 62 degrees in a room i sleep in.

I'll be back in september, at least partly, as I take possession of my brother's Q6600 + 8800 GT
No firm ETA on when my 4850 + [email protected] rejoin.
My PS3 would do more if people didn't keep playing rock band
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:37 pm

Once winter gets here I'll be back to folding, it's too hot in my room to run 24/7. I haven't seen a front page mention in a long time, but admittedly I wasn't looking either.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:01 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Think about what you can do then. ;)

What I get out of that link is that for years Techreport folders have wanted the website to be more enthusiastic about folding, and not made much progress.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:29 pm

What I get out of it is, some people tried to provide the info and didn't have the time to do it. It is a lot of work. Also that management doesn't want to spam a list of names weekly/monthly with no real new info. Unless it is provided by people on the Folding team nothing is going to happen.

Also from the last post, there was need for clean up in the stickies and less "atta'boys" more real info I don't think that was ever done...

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:32 pm

Forget weekly or monthly articles. How about an article every once in a while? A folding membership drive? Points like MaximumPC grants? Something to get F@H in the spotlight once in a while.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:41 pm

david00214 wrote:
Forget weekly or monthly articles. How about an article every once in a while? A folding membership drive? Points like MaximumPC grants? Something to get F@H in the spotlight once in a while.

Are you prepared to write them, and write them according to the standards that were laid out? And more importantly, are you prepared to do this for the long haul? A lot of these "drives", "rushes", "gauntlets" happen to have a swarm of people starting at first, then real life kicks in and nobody is willing to take up the mantle ever since. This is what happened to the old Folding Update, and what happened to the "team website" at team2630.com as well. :(

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:00 pm

david00214 wrote:

Plenty of us are happy with the front page being left to newsworthy stuff.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:23 pm

mattsteg wrote:
david00214 wrote:

Plenty of us are happy with the front page being left to newsworthy stuff.

Yep I agree and actually I would question if some of the stuff that makes it there in the first place is news worthy.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:24 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
...and what happened to the "team website" at team2630.com as well. :(

Yeah that was my fault. I volunteered to spearhead that and then didn't have the time and didn't come to terms with that in time for someone else to take charge. I apologized then, and I do so again now.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:38 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:
...and what happened to the "team website" at team2630.com as well. :(

Yeah that was my fault. I volunteered to spearhead that and then didn't have the time and didn't come to terms with that in time for someone else to take charge. I apologized then, and I do so again now.

I was not faulting anyone. Real life takes over fast. Not everyone can be doing this repeated throughout the long haul. This just goes to show most of TR gerbils do have this thing called life. ;)

Of course the price we pay is to apparent lack of recruiting/newsy efforts. But who can/will step up to the plate and be in for the long haul? We are already missing Tarx and his montly updates.

Damage
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:07 pm

Guys, we've always been willing to let someone from the team write up posts, so long as they are reasonably readable and informative. And, ahem, we *do* have a folding team ad on the front page!

That said, it looks like we'll have to take more initiative. I've talked with Cyril about incorporating some folding posts into his news post routine.

As if Custom PC can really stay ahead of us. :lol:

I think we should focus on getting more people to upgrade to the GPU clients, for starters, as well as trying to get people to schedule time on their home PCs while they're away. Seems like a couple of good places to begin.
Scott Wasson - "Damage"