Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Derek Andersen
Gerbil

Thu Mar 28, 2002 1:14 pm

I should really just leave this thread alone...I can't believe it's still active.

On 2002-03-27 17:07, Speed wrote:
I keep seeing this "you can't tell me what to do" bluster. I can only speak for myself, and I can say that I am certainly not telling people what to do! I've stated it several times -- I'm asking people to examine their own actions, and make up their own minds. The only conclusion that I can draw from the angry, blaming responses that I have gotten is that some of you don't like what you see in yourselves, but aren't willing to face the fact that it is <i>yours</i> to own.

Speed, your responses indicate that you don't really want people to make up their own minds about how they act, since you glibly insult the people saying that they're okay with their behavior. It seems that the only response that wouldn't draw a dismissive post from you is if someone were to say that they had indeed examined their behavior and decided that it was despicable (as various posters have decreed as the only reasonable point of view).

You seem to be saying that only one particular opinion of this sort of behavior (your opinion, as it happens) is valid, and the others aren't worthy of even being addressed; while you may not come out and say, "You should act in this way," that's what you're implying.

If you really want to be seen as non-judgemental, at least try to have your posts reflect that.

Derek Andersen

dolemitecomputers
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 28, 2002 1:42 pm

I think Dis or Damage should close this thread. Kind of out of control now.

Speed
Gerbil Elite

Thu Mar 28, 2002 1:59 pm

Where am I insulting people?

I have been talking about a particular behavior. Am I less entitled to my opinions than others? If someone decides that the behavior that I describe fits them, and decide to become angry about that, is that my fault? Of course not! One who behaves dishonorably insults himself.

This is a public forum; I can't force people to do anything, so knock off the BS about that. If you are unable to save face or exit this forum feeling good about yourself, that's your problem, to deal with yourself. I never volunteered to be a scapegoat, so you really shouldn't be so surprised when I refuse to accept your misplaced blame.

No, I don't have any sympathy for those who are willing to be total jerks when they can get away with it, and then turn around and whine about being picked on when they don't get their way.
You are false data.

Derek Andersen
Gerbil

Thu Mar 28, 2002 3:01 pm

On 2002-03-28 12:59, Speed wrote:

I have been talking about a particular behavior. Am I less entitled to my opinions than others? If someone decides that the behavior that I describe fits them, and decide to become angry about that, is that my fault? Of course not! One who behaves dishonorably insults himself.

Sigh.

People aren't angry at you because they happen to practice the behavior you're describing.

They disagree with you about whether or not that behavior is quite as "dishonorable" as you think it is, which is what I think you're having problems with.

The way that you describe the 'self-examination,' the only reasonable outcome is self-disgust in those who verbally taunt others during games; if someone tries to defend their behavior without repenting, they obviously must be secretly ashamed and lashing out at you because of it.

At the very least, this is a patronizing viewpoint, so it should be no surprise that it garners somewhat hostile replies.

This is a public forum; I can't force people to do anything, so knock off the BS about that. If you are unable to save face or exit this forum feeling good about yourself, that's your problem, to deal with yourself. I never volunteered to be a scapegoat, so you really shouldn't be so surprised when I refuse to accept your misplaced blame.

Speed, again, these people do not feel bad about themselves. There is no secret shame being sublimated into anger against you. Sheesh.

As for the "forc[ing] people to do anything" bit, I stated a while back that I wasn't naive enough to think that posts to a forum would change anything on either side. I'm not accusing you of actually having the power to change people, just pointing out that they may not appreciate your benevolent advice.

No, I don't have any sympathy for those who are willing to be total jerks when they can get away with it, and then turn around and whine about being picked on when they don't get their way.

Okay, one last try: have you ever experienced this sort of environment (friendly competition, rather vicious taunting)? They're not being jerks; that's the mode of behavior for LAN parties and the like.

You have noticed, I hope, that some of the posters that you've just labeled "jerks" have been quite civil elsewhere in this forum (though I'll grant that this particular thread has at times been an exception). Taunting during a game does not necessarily carry over into any other form of human interaction.

Derek Andersen

St. Babu
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Mar 28, 2002 3:04 pm

How about your cute "Clock Tower" remark? Actually, I rather enjoyed that. I love stereotypes.

From following your postings, it becomes more and more obvious that you are indeed a self-absorbed holier-than-thou argumentative A-hole. Nobody's opinion is right, unless it happens to be the one you're harboring. You can describe any of us all you like and, of course, YOU'LL say it fits us. But you don't know anything more about us than the fact that we like to argue too, we play games, and we like to sling insults back and forth among friends regardless of whether or not others might find them offensive. Sorry it bugs you. Glad to know you're above such "Boorish" "Immature" and "Juvenile" behavior.

Nobody's asking you to be a scapegoat. What is suggested, though, is that you actually argue the issue at hand instead of roundly dismissing everyone whose opinion is different from yours. Just think: If we weren't here to cast a dissenting vote, how would you get your jollies by insulting and attempting to belittle us?

A lack of sympathy for total jerks... Even I feel sorry for myself once in a while. It's OK if you do too.

DIREWOLF75
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Mar 28, 2002 4:30 pm

The ones being "holier than thou" are DEFINETLY not Speed.

Taunting and bullying doesn´t belong in games. And it DOES spread to real life, which is why it doesn´t belong in games NOR in real life.

I´m just very happy that the larger part of where I game online doesn´t try to bully others. It´s repulsive and usually just causes a game to get unfriendly and vicious, not fun.

Technophile, still dealing in drugs and shoplifting?

Now that was soooo relevant, wasn´t it?

You bullies are showing off some really good sides here, just the reasons why most people I game with call "smacktalkers"(bullyboys) idiots and then shoot them on spawn no matter if they are on the same team.
That´s how I prefer to deal with bullies, which you have shown very neatly that you are.

0oALio0

Thu Mar 28, 2002 4:45 pm

On 2002-03-28 15:30, DIREWOLF75 wrote:
Taunting and bullying doesn´t belong in games. And it DOES spread to real life, which is why it doesn´t belong in games NOR in real life.

Do you guys even know what this thread is about? (Not trying to single you out DIREWOLF75, just using you as an example).

technophile
Gerbil First Class

Fri Mar 29, 2002 3:43 pm

Technophile, still dealing in drugs and shoplifting?

Now that was soooo relevant, wasn´t it?

Direwolf, I asked my "beat your wife question" because it is the classic example of a question that can't be answered. ("yes" = I'm a wife beater, "no" = I used to be). I was comparing this age-old example to Speed's accusations of self-hate being channeled into anger against him. The problem with that argument (amongst others) is that it allows Speed to dismiss any arguement as being just more sublimated anger.

The other example I provided was the "Speed is so argumentative" one, which he has cleverly avoided arguing against. But that doesn't make the amateur psychoanalyst style "you're all feeling guilt inside" accusation any more valid.