Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

tmoble
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

pass flags to notfred USB F@H client?

Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:59 pm

I need to pass the -oneunit flag/option/command line qualifier to the linux client running from the notfreds USB distro. any way of doing this?

tmoble
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Re: pass flags to notfred USB F@H client?

Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:45 pm

so, nobody has any idea or did I just post at a bad time?

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:00 am

It's possible that nobody else here has tried to do that, in which case you may need to wait for notfred to see your post.

It's definitely doable, but I'm not familiar enough with notfred's USB distro to know where the option needs to be inserted.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

tmoble
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:40 pm

in the syslinux.cfg file included with the distro I see these two lines or sections:

LABEL fold64
KERNEL kernel64
APPEND initrd=initrd USER=Tom TEAM=53803 BIG=big MEM= ADVMETHODS=yes SMPCPUS=4 BACKUP=15 REBOOT=enabled INSTALL=yes BENCHMARK=no BLANK=0 SAMBA=2 GROUP=DISKLESS PROXY_HOST= PROXY_PORT= PROXY_USER= PROXY_PASS= INTF= IP= MASK= GATEWAY= DNS= TFTP= SHELL=no

and

LABEL benchmark64
KERNEL kernel64
APPEND initrd=initrd USER=Tom TEAM=53803 BIG=big MEM= ADVMETHODS=yes SMPCPUS=4 BACKUP=15 REBOOT=enabled INSTALL=yes BENCHMARK=yes BLANK=0 SAMBA=2 GROUP=DISKLESS PROXY_HOST= PROXY_PORT= PROXY_USER= PROXY_PASS= INTF= IP= MASK= GATEWAY= DNS= TFTP= SHELL=no

I think in both of those I'll add the text "ONEUNIT=yes" right after the "ADVMETHODS=yes" and reboot the thing. I guess it can't do any worse than blow up the machine and set the desk on fire. :)

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:15 pm

tmoble wrote:
in the syslinux.cfg file included with the distro I see these two lines or sections:

LABEL fold64
KERNEL kernel64
APPEND initrd=initrd USER=Tom TEAM=53803 BIG=big MEM= ADVMETHODS=yes SMPCPUS=4 BACKUP=15 REBOOT=enabled INSTALL=yes BENCHMARK=no BLANK=0 SAMBA=2 GROUP=DISKLESS PROXY_HOST= PROXY_PORT= PROXY_USER= PROXY_PASS= INTF= IP= MASK= GATEWAY= DNS= TFTP= SHELL=no

and

LABEL benchmark64
KERNEL kernel64
APPEND initrd=initrd USER=Tom TEAM=53803 BIG=big MEM= ADVMETHODS=yes SMPCPUS=4 BACKUP=15 REBOOT=enabled INSTALL=yes BENCHMARK=yes BLANK=0 SAMBA=2 GROUP=DISKLESS PROXY_HOST= PROXY_PORT= PROXY_USER= PROXY_PASS= INTF= IP= MASK= GATEWAY= DNS= TFTP= SHELL=no

I think in both of those I'll add the text "ONEUNIT=yes" right after the "ADVMETHODS=yes" and reboot the thing. I guess it can't do any worse than blow up the machine and set the desk on fire. :)

Yes, I can't imagine anything worse happening when using the -oneunit flag. :lol:
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:27 pm

Anything not explicitly listed there and not a kernel parameter is just going to be ignored unfortunately. The only way to do it would be to unpack the initrd, edit the init file and add "-oneunit" to where it calls the fah6 executable.

Edit - just had another thought on this. What you could do is change the SHELL option to "SHELL=yes", then when it is booted login to the shell, kill the current fah6 client and restart it with the -oneunit option.

tmoble
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:32 pm

notfred,

Thanks for stopping by and helping a noob.

I think I understand the difference now.

"unpack the initrd, edit the init file and add "-oneunit" to where it calls the fah6 executable." I could do that I guess, but wouldn't that make me a linux nerd? :) Egad, I don't even know what kind of compress is used on an initrd. I can look it up. Let's see, I could have a little herd of initrd's. Rename or copy as needed.

initrd, a question about it was the knife in the back of my RHEL cert test. Whatta dummy I was.

If I can get a shell on the machine I can do the bounce thing. With luck it will accept a telnet connection, that's easy. And fast. jeez, where's my putty? I haven't used that at home in quite some time. PuTTY, IIRC. One of the all time greatest programs that can be run from a DOS floppy.

That's a pretty hefty piece of work there notfred. Thanks for having the ability, skill, energy and confidence to do something new and good. I was amazed when I figured out I could map a drive to it and use fahmon from my winweenie desktop. Samba all built in and everything.

tmoble
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:43 am

how does this look?

http://sial.org/howto/linux/initrd/initrd-util

it's gzip/gunzip, I thought it was some weird deal. might be educational.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:19 pm

The compress is gzip, but within that it is a cpio archive. That script is actually doing the Redhat thing of an e2fs filesystem for the initrd and will not work with my setup.

You're much better off setting the SHELL=yes and logging in on to it. You login directly on the console (plugin a keyboard), not via telnet or ssh or anything like that.