Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

My Experience with the Westell 7500 Modem/Router

Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:04 pm

...was very sucky. It took forever for changes to be made. Half the time that a change was made, the modem would have to reset which would mean I'd have to go through the whole ordeal of going to activatemydsl.verizon.net and logging back in. Fortunately, making the Westell 7500 a transparent bridge worked fairly simply once I found a good set of directions. I'd also have to say that my access to the Internet is a bit snappier now, and my Web server actually works now.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Re: My Experience with the Westell 7500 Modem/Router

Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:09 pm

I just realized that the wireless radio on the Westell Router is still powered. I can see it when I search for available networks with my laptop as well, so I know it isn't just the light being stuck on. Anybody know how to disable it for real? I have my Netgear router sitting on top of it, and I'm pretty sure it's interfering. Worse comes to worse, it's no big deal to separate the two, but I'd like to turn it off for good anyway.

Contingency
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:57 pm

If there's not a transmit power or disable radio/AP option, the best course to mimimize interference would be to have it transmit on an non-overlapping channel. Removing the antenna would cut down on gain, but there is a risk of damaging the radio thanks to VSWR.
#182 TT: 13/DNVT, Precedence: Flash Override. Switch: Node Center. MSE forever.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:36 pm

Contingency wrote:
If there's not a transmit power or disable radio/AP option, the best course to mimimize interference would be to have it transmit on an non-overlapping channel. Removing the antenna would cut down on gain, but there is a risk of damaging the radio thanks to VSWR.

It is on a separate channel, but I believe it's interference by proximity. Also, the only way I'm going to get rid of the antenna is by cracking open the case. Don't think I should do that. :D

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:32 pm

RF gets really weird in the near field, make sure the antennas are a couple of feet apart and that should fix the interference as long as the radios are on non-overlapping channels (remember there are only 3 that don't overlap).

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:36 pm

notfred wrote:
RF gets really weird in the near field, make sure the antennas are a couple of feet apart and that should fix the interference as long as the radios are on non-overlapping channels (remember there are only 3 that don't overlap).

And which three would those be?

Contingency
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:45 pm

1, 6, and 11. Note that if your Netgear router uses 40 MHz of bandwidth, you'd have to make a choice between dropping it to 20 MHz or living with some level of interference.
#182 TT: 13/DNVT, Precedence: Flash Override. Switch: Node Center. MSE forever.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:00 am

Well, I think I have something new to add to the list. UPnP doesn't actually work. Neither does WPA2.

I have a PS3 now and I've enabled UPnP on the Westell 7500. (There was an outage in the 828 area code and I had to reset the modem.) I decided that I'd try just using the Westell as I've had some issues the last few weeks. UPnP isn't available according to the PS3 whereas when I had the Netgear in place it was available. I don't want to have to figure out which ports I need to forward.

Also, none of the wireless devices I have can connect to the Westell using WPA2. The Netgear, again, didn't present this problem.

Well, I'm going to hook up the Netgear router again later tonight.

lstmate
Gerbil In Training

Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:02 pm

You may need to setup the option TKIP. This is a default setting in the WPA2 setting on the Westell but not necessarily so on devices using WPA2.