Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

HurgyMcGurgyGurg
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Installation Woes

Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:14 am

I am trying to re-optimize a laptop for folding, I used to just use a single console client for one core (Its a dual core) but I decided to help with the call to arms to install a second console client. Anyways, I first decided to delete the current client as the 6.20 version is out I figured I would just re-download it. So the problem is whenever I download it for some reason the console client never configures? It just starts right away with machine id 1 and default settings, the same things happens when I install the second console client, it just starts immediately? No config. I keep on thinking I missed a configuration file when I deleted the old client but I can't find it.

Oh and don't recommend I try smp, this is a heavily used laptop and I doubt windows smp will be anything but trouble on it, since it is 64 bit vista and I'm not going to mess with vm for linux. But hey you could try to convince me if you really want to try.

Please help?

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Installation Woes

Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:58 am

HurgyMcGurgyGurg wrote:
I am trying to re-optimize a laptop for folding, I used to just use a single console client for one core (Its a dual core) but I decided to help with the call to arms to install a second console client. Anyways, I first decided to delete the current client as the 6.20 version is out I figured I would just re-download it. So the problem is whenever I download it for some reason the console client never configures? It just starts right away with machine id 1 and default settings, the same things happens when I install the second console client, it just starts immediately? No config. I keep on thinking I missed a configuration file when I deleted the old client but I can't find it.

Oh and don't recommend I try smp, this is a heavily used laptop and I doubt windows smp will be anything but trouble on it, since it is 64 bit vista and I'm not going to mess with vm for linux. But hey you could try to convince me if you really want to try.

Please help?

The new client is catching config info from an old installation is my guess. There's probably a txt or ini file you can edit to change your config

You can also install the CPU client (The one that has the little molecule in your system tray) With that one you can "right click" it and change config.

Or better yet, install the SMP Client. Uses the same amount of CPU cycles as two regular clients and gets more points. But, as FF rightly mentions, all clients do different kinds of research and are worth running.
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:38 am

Bring up the Command Prompt, "cd" to the folders (you have to install the 2nd instance of the client in a different folder anyway) and launch the program with the -configonly switch. Then you can change the parameters. Remember to give each instance a different machine ID.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:28 am

Flying Fox wrote:
Bring up the Command Prompt, "cd" to the folders (you have to install the 2nd instance of the client in a different folder anyway) and launch the program with the -configonly switch. Then you can change the parameters. Remember to give each instance a different machine ID.

This should work! You can also just navigate to the folder that contains the 2nd folding installation, open the config and change the machine ID, save it and away you go!

Another thought I am having is that you installed the client twice automatically and you only have one client installed if you didn't choose a different location for your second install. If this is the case you can copy your entire folding folder, paste it to a new location, change the machine ID in the config file and create a new shortcut for the ow new 2nd console client.
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!

HurgyMcGurgyGurg
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:17 am

Well that was embarrassing...

I forget to extract it... But since I can I'm going to blame I'm not familiar with Vista's GUI.

Thanks for the recommendations though.

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:37 am

HurgyMcGurgyGurg wrote:
Well that was embarrassing...

I forget to extract it... But since I can I'm going to blame I'm not familiar with Vista's GUI.

Thanks for the recommendations though.

Blaming Windows is cool. 8)
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:01 pm

HurgyMcGurgyGurg wrote:

You can join the bitching in that 36+ pages (and still growing) thread in the Windows forum. :lol:
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.