Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Re: The CALL to ARMS. What's your contribution?

Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:12 pm

2000 ppd is good!! :P
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:17 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
IIRC you need to enable a flag in the vmx file. Try this and see if it helps after you enable the BIOS option.

Linux Tip: How to Tell if Your Processor Supports VT

Virtualization Technology (VT) is a set of enhancements to newer processors that improve performance for running a virtual machine by offloading some of the work to the new cpu extensions. Both AMD and Intel have processors that support this technology, but how do you tell if your system can handle it?

It's quite simple: We'll need to take a peek inside the /proc/cpuinfo file and look at the flags section for one of two values, vmx or svm.

* vmx - (intel)
    * svm - (amd)

You can use grep to quickly see if either value exists in the file by running the following command:

egrep '(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo

If your system supports VT, then you'll see vmx or svm in the list of flags. My system has two processors, so there are two separate sections:

flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall nx lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
    flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall nx lm constant_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm

VT technology can still be disabled in your computer's BIOS, however, so you'll want to check there to make sure that it hasn't been disabled. The flags in cpuinfo simply mean that your processor supports it.

From my research, VT is required in order to run 64-bit guests under the free VMware server for linux… so it would logically follow that if you can do so, VT is enabled.

32-bit VT is not enabled by default under VMware server. If you want to enable it, you need to add the following line to your *.vmx file for your virtual machine:

monitor_control.vt32 = TRUE

VMware does not recommend that you use VT for 32-bit guests, because they say it will actually hurt performance.

Uh, wth is egrep? Unix command? How would I run that? I can't even get the VM environment to come up. I am so lost. I think I have to find this flag and enable it somewhere, but they just say the /proc/cpuinfo folder... Uh, what about the stuff before the /proc??? Me. Confused.
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:00 pm

david00214 wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:
IIRC you need to enable a flag in the vmx file. Try this and see if it helps after you enable the BIOS option.

Uh, wth is egrep? Unix command? How would I run that? I can't even get the VM environment to come up. I am so lost. I think I have to find this flag and enable it somewhere, but they just say the /proc/cpuinfo folder... Uh, what about the stuff before the /proc??? Me. Confused.

In the .vmx file, add this line:
monitor_control.vt32 = TRUE

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:08 pm

Line added. Now I get this:

If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:18 pm

More googling.

Add this one too:
monitor_control.restrict_backdoor = TRUE

Remember to restart the VM. The BIOS option has been enabled right?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:35 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
More googling.

Add this one too:

I restarted the VM, removed and reinstalled the VM, double checked VT is enabled in the BIOS... all that.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:38 pm

david00214 wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:
More googling.

Add this one too:

I restarted the VM, removed and reinstalled the VM, double checked VT is enabled in the BIOS... all that.

With both lines in the .vmx file still nothing?

Failing that, I run out of ideas. VT is supposed to be supported with your CPU, but somehow it did not work. Or you may have to hack VMware Server to run on that thing.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:41 am

Thanks FF. I may give it some more efforts over the weekend.

We haven't had anyone answer the CALL to ARMs lately?

kitsura
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:32 pm

Watch this space. I might get a dual proc G5 up and running soon.

Ttocs
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:26 pm

Some early results...

MSI HD 4870 X2, which is factory overclocked to 780MHz core...

Running on a [email protected]

I'm going to have to watch heat closely, though... the card barely fits in my case.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:28 pm

kitsura wrote:

Now that would be most excellent :D

@Ttocs - What's your PPD?

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:28 pm

kitsura wrote:

I'd be really curious as to how that'd be in PPD
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:18 pm

I have been running two single core clients on a laptop... Same one I failed to get the SMP client to run on... Well, it got so hot today running the clients that the power adaptor would just about burn you and the laptop itself was giving off the smell of burning plastic! While it did this all day (since I was not here to stop it) I felt bad for the poor thing and shut it down. Maybe I should just run one client on it to keep it below the melting zone.

HurgyMcGurgyGurg
Gerbil First Class

Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:41 pm

Well I've finally got the first stage of my contribution up. 2 console clients on one laptop and another 2 console clients on another. Not much but if I kept them on 24/7 I would be getting close to 650 ppd, (According to fahmon) To be honest I know they will probably be on for only 12 hours a day though, I don't like the whole psychological issue of leaving it on while I sleep. So it should be around 300-400 ppd. Not much but its something to tide me over until I get a new desktop which should definitely help maybe 10x my current ppd.

kitsura
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:39 am

v6.20 for some reason can't run on the G5 and keeps crashing immediately. I reverted to version 5 of the software and could only run non-SMP mode. I guess support for the PPC client is really sucky now.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:28 am

kitsura wrote:
v6.20 for some reason can't run on the G5 and keeps crashing immediately. I reverted to version 5 of the software and could only run non-SMP mode. I guess support for the PPC client is really sucky now.

That sucks. All that wasted power. Hopefully someone will have a brilliant idea *looks around the room expectantly*

Ttocs
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:55 pm

I have no idea what my PPD is, I'd have to do the calculations.

I shut down my PCs at night, as well, so it goes down somewhat.

Unfortunately, I'm having some problem where it thinks my GPU isn't supported on the second client. Strange...

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:13 pm

Ttocs wrote:
I have no idea what my PPD is, I'd have to do the calculations.

I shut down my PCs at night, as well, so it goes down somewhat.

Unfortunately, I'm having some problem where it thinks my GPU isn't supported on the second client. Strange...

FahMon/FahSpy will do the calculations for you. ;)

Ttocs
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:05 pm

FahMon reports ~1480 per instance, on project 4727.

Turns out, however, that the F@H client doesn't properly detect the second X2 core. That might explain a few things...
I'll probably wind up waiting years for them to fix that, if at all. Unfortunate.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:16 pm

Ttocs wrote:

Turns out, however, that the F@H client doesn't properly detect the second X2 core. That might explain a few things...
I'll probably wind up waiting years for them to fix that, if at all. Unfortunate.

It may be a limitation of ATI's current GPU computing framework, and not something specific to the folding core. (I don't actually know, I'm just wondering...)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Pegasus
Gerbil First Class

Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:44 pm

Ttocs wrote:

Those numbers don't seem far off from a single 4800. Why don't you think it detects the second core? Unless crossfire can't be disabled.
But if it can't see the 2nd core then both clients you are running are sharing the one core they can see. Why run 2 then? If you try just running 1 then you should get the same PPD as both of them added together now if it really can't see the 2nd core.
i3-530 | HR-01 Plus (passive) | DH55TC | 4GB Kingston DDR3 | Toshiba 250GB 2.5" HDD | Mini P180 | picoPSU 150-xt w/102w brick | 21w idle

Ttocs
Gerbil Elite

Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:42 pm

I wasn't aware of the problem when I made the screenshot.

Apparently, a lot of it is discussed starting at about halfway/at the end of page 1 here: http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f ... &sk=t&sd=a

I can run two at once and get no slowdown right now (PPD doesn't change when I close one of my clients), because unless it's one of the new "big" workunits, I'm only using about 320 of the 800 stream processors. That's part of the reason why nVidia is beating AMD/ATI on F@H right now - fewer shaders, clocked higher.

JBI, it likely is an ATI Driver (or CAL.. or whatever their variant of CUDA is) addressing issue. I'm not sure how responsive ATI is with these issues. We'll see!

Pegasus
Gerbil First Class

Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:39 pm

Ttocs wrote:
Apparently, a lot of it is discussed starting at about halfway/at the end of page 1 here: http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f ... &sk=t&sd=a
I'll check it out. thanks :)

Ttocs wrote:
I can run two at once and get no slowdown right now (PPD doesn't change when I close one of my clients), because unless it's one of the new "big" workunits, I'm only using about 320 of the 800 stream processors. That's part of the reason why nVidia is beating AMD/ATI on F@H right now - fewer shaders, clocked higher.
I ran another GPU2 client on my 4850 to see if it would use the unused processors. (The core speed is OCed) PPD was split between the two. From 1800PPD on 1 client to 900 and 900 PPD on 2 clients. I'm not seeing how I could use the extra processors on 1 core by running multiple clients.
i3-530 | HR-01 Plus (passive) | DH55TC | 4GB Kingston DDR3 | Toshiba 250GB 2.5" HDD | Mini P180 | picoPSU 150-xt w/102w brick | 21w idle

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:54 am

my WUs havn't successfully sent for like four days now
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

41.60l23
Gerbil XP

Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:15 am

Hey guys,

I quit folding for the summer (my AC couldn't quite keep up with it), but now that it's getting cooler, I'm going to start getting back into the game. I have a few machines to add:

P4 w/ 2600Pro GPU2
Celeron 2.66 w/ Linux Client
X2 5400 @3.0 w/ 8800 GTS (GPU2 client, I guess)

The first two are working fine, and I'll have them up soon. However, the third one (at a different house) is having some problems. Every time I start up the client, it gives the error "Error code 0 - Could not download core". This happens no matter the client I use. I have no firewall software, and the Windows firewall is disabled. As far as I know, there is nothing that should be blocking it on my router, either. Doesn't the client just use port 80 as a HTTP browser would? There's nothing helpful on the Stanford forum.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:24 am

41.60l23 wrote:
Hey guys,

I quit folding for the summer (my AC couldn't quite keep up with it), but now that it's getting cooler, I'm going to start getting back into the game. I have a few machines to add:

P4 w/ 2600Pro GPU2
Celeron 2.66 w/ Linux Client
X2 5400 @3.0 w/ 8800 GTS (GPU2 client, I guess)

The first two are working fine, and I'll have them up soon. However, the third one (at a different house) is having some problems. Every time I start up the client, it gives the error "Error code 0 - Could not download core". This happens no matter the client I use. I have no firewall software, and the Windows firewall is disabled. As far as I know, there is nothing that should be blocking it on my router, either. Doesn't the client just use port 80 as a HTTP browser would? There's nothing helpful on the Stanford forum.

When you do figure it out, make sure to settle on using the GPU2 client. By far the most points.

I haven't had the error your describing before.

41.60l23
Gerbil XP

Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:29 am

Actually-

If anybody can figure out my problem, I'll be happy to fold on the card under their name for a month.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:11 am

41.60l23 wrote:
If anybody can figure out my problem, I'll be happy to fold on the card under their name for a month.

Did you answer "no" to "use Internet Explorer settings"? Some reported that to be the problem for connectivity issues.

41.60l23
Gerbil XP

Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:11 am

This was a solution when it was included with the clients. Unfortunately, none of the new clients have that option, including SMP and GPU2 =(

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:39 am

41.60l23 wrote:
This was a solution when it was included with the clients. Unfortunately, none of the new clients have that option, including SMP and GPU2 =(

Sure they do, just run the config command for the SMP client.
cd ~/folding/FAH
./fah6 -configonly

And for the GPU2 client, open "notepad" and then open your "Folding@Home GPU" folder with notepad, select "all files" in the notpad open window so you can see everything in the "Folding@Home GPU" folder, then open the client.cfg file and edit as you like.