Topic Author

Video replay in Baseball?

Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:08 pm

"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Video replay in Baseball?

Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:06 am

This is only a good thing. I think they oughtta do it kind of like football - any play except balls and strikes or balls called foul (which would stop play), each team gets 2 per game, and you can't use them after, say, the 7th inning (because that's when all the pitching changes are most likely to happen; let's keep the game moving) - everything else would be umpires' discretion.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:59 am

From what I've heard, it sounds like a good implementation. Only usable for boundary calls.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:01 am

I like limited video replay in all sports. Once in a while, I've wished the NBA had it too.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:03 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:
I like limited video replay in all sports. Once in a while, I've wished the NBA had it too.

The only times I could see it being helpful then is looking at stepping OB, shot-clock violations, or other very-clearly-defined objective measurements. Instant replay shouldn't determine subjective rulings (which is why I think that the baseball one's are done right).

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:06 am

Hawkwing74 wrote:

The NBA does.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:39 pm

They do? For what types of calls? I haven't watched it much in recent years.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:49 pm

Hawkwing74 wrote:
They do? For what types of calls? I haven't watched it much in recent years.

http://espn.go.com/nba/preview2002/colu ... 51368.html
In the NBA version, there are four, and only four, triggers for the replay system. Replay cannot be initiated by a coach -- no "challenge" system here -- or even by the officials themselves. The triggers are automatic, and unambiguous:

*A made basket at the end of the first, second or third quarters, with no time remaining -- 0:00 -- on the clock.
*A made basket at the end of the fourth quarter or overtime with no time remaining -- 0:00 -- on the clock that could affect the outcome of the game. In other words, a basket that ties or wins the game for one team. If the score is 100-90, a made basket at 0:00 will not be reviewable.
*A foul called at the end of the first, second or third quarters, with no time remaining -- 0:00 -- on the clock.
*A foul called at the end of the fourth quarter or overtime with no time remaining -- 0:00 -- on the clock for which the resulting free throws could affect the outcome of the game. In other words, the team committing the foul has to be in the penalty, or get in the penalty with the foul, or the player who is fouled has to be in the act of shooting. But again, if the score is 100-90, the foul will not be reviewed.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:55 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
From what I've heard, it sounds like a good implementation. Only usable for boundary calls.
Yeah. Derfunk's idea goes way too far IMO. Giving the managers challenges just gives managers more opportunity for gamesmanship, throwing off the rhythm of pitchers or whatever.

I don't like the particulars of this implementation, though. All the video for every game goes to the head office in NY in real time (which it does anyway) and then, in the case of a disputed boundary call, the crew chief goes to a screen installed in the dugout or in/near the umpire room and makes a call to the office to have the best angles replayed back to him so he can make the call. This seems slow and inefficient. I think they should just expand the umpiring crew to 5 (7 in the playoffs) with one "hidden" guy who sits at that screen and has a radio link to the on-field crew chief who has an earbud in his ear. In the case of a close boundary call (even one the umps didn't realize they blew) the "screen official" can whisper into the ear of the crew chief what everybody watching from home already knows. They rotate through the ump positions every day and already rely on one another to make calls on things like check swings, so I don't see this would be a problem with authority, and I'm sure they'd all appreciate the chance of sitting in the dugout or inside out of the sun once every five days when they're working in August in, say, Texas (not to mention the opportunity to expand their union by 25%).

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:51 pm

First of all, we're talking about getting calls right - and if people can't do it without the aid of a replay and the technology exists, we should use it. I can't see how you'd argue otherwise without romanticizing the "human element" or bitching that games are already too long (and that's because of excessive pitching changes and the way the game slows down when runners reach base - I'm all for limiting teams to 1 pitching change per inning unless an earned run scores, and only then can you make another pitching change).

My idea is modeled after the NFL. I'm not looking for "subjective" calls - only clear-cut ones. If you can clearly tell safe/out from a replay, how's that subjective? In the NFL, you have to have conclusive evidence to overturn a play, and between the two teams you can only stop play a total of 4 times - some teams have more pitching changes than that in a single inning. If the original call stops play (such as a ball called foul) it wouldn't be subject to replay (just like in football, if a pass is ruled incomplete/made contact with the ground, you just move on). So are you folks also saying that football's replay goes too far?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

themattman
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:32 pm

I agree with this decision. I feel that limited use of replay will help in those situations when calls are extremely difficult to make in crucial situations.
|Intel Q9450 @3.6 1.425v|Lapped TRUE|Gigabyte EP45-UD3P|Mushkin & Patriot 2x2gb DDR2-900|EVGA 8800 GTS 512 750/1873/1000|Antec 900|Corsair 520HX|Asus Xonar DX|
13895 3DMarks

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:12 pm