Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Dposcorp, SpotTheCat

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Upgrade from 6 to 12 MP DSLR

Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:17 pm

My wife has a Minolta Maxxum 7D DSLR right now its 6 MP. She is thinking that she wants to upgrade to the new Canon Rebel XSI (or something similar) so my question is, is this upgrade worth it ? I know the new sony bodies will work with the lenses we already have but the reviews on them havent been all that good compared to the canon. So do I tell her quit complaining she isnt getting a new camera and take a chance of getting cut off for a month or do i buy her the camera ?

dmitriylm
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Upgrade from 6 to 12 MP DSLR

Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:24 pm

I'd recommend a healty investment in a whooping stick.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:27 pm

if you're going to be doing upgrade, i'd suggest going to the 40D instead of xsi. only a couple hundred more.
i guess i dont have any experience with the xsi, but judging by the xt & xti, the 40D is a much better camera.. way more flexibility & options.

hmmm or take a wait and see outlook & see what kind of price the 50D comes in at if/when its released.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:51 pm

If you've got a glass investment, mush rather one of the better sony bodies than a rebel. The only sony bodies that suck are the very entry-level ones, as far as I know. I would think stepping down to an entry-level body of any maker wuld be a disappointment.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:18 pm

Not much in the way of glass to worry about. She has a Minolta 28-100 kit lens. Not sure of the aperture of the lens but its nothing special probably in the 3.5-5.6 range like most kit lenses are. She also has a Sony 70-300 F4.5-5.6 so its nothing special either.

Here is a Popular Photography review that compares 5 DSLR's and they didnt really care for the sony but gave the canon high marks.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:13 pm

I don't know where the megapixel race will stop. A 6 MP camera is plenty for printing 4x6 prints. With 12 or 15 MP, you can make much larger prints, or crop like a madman. Of course, the higher resolution may come at the expense of possible high-ISO sensitivity, and it is more likely to have enough resolution to reveal flaws in your lenses, if you crop and enlarge.

The Sony Alpha DSLR reviews that I've read have been fairly favorable. In-body image stabilization should be cheaper than in-lens IS, but the Sony lenses are more expensive than Canon or Nikon lenses, for some strange reason. The reviews also indicate that the SAL1870 DT 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 lens included in the Alpha camera kits is very poor, optically.

The EOS Rebel XSi is more capable than previous Rebels in ways other than resolution alone. It has a bigger screen, better LiveView, improved auto-focusing, and it comes with a much better 18-55mm kit lens than previous Rebel models. However, the Rebel models are still smaller, lighter, and have fewer buttons and dials than the prosumer EOS 40D. The 40D also has better auto-focusing and a faster burst shooting rate, though it has lower resolution than the Rebel XSi. With the EOS 50D due to be announced soon, you may be able to get a good deal on a 40D, but the Rebel XSi looks like a decent camera to me. For image quality, you would be better off to get a less expensive camera body and better lenses rather than the other way around.

You might let your wife try both models to decide which feels better in her hands. The ergonomics may be more important than the technical differences between the cameras. It may be easier to change settings on the 40D because you don't have to navigate as many menus, but if she prefers the feel of the smaller camera, that could be the deciding factor.

The $90 EF 50mm f/1.8 lens is a very good choice to add to your initial kit. This lens has a wide aperture for low-light photos (indoor, without flash) and for shallow depth of field (so that portrait backgrounds are out of focus blurs). Despite being Canon's lightest and cheapest EF lens, the plastic housing holds very decent glass optics.

Of course, you don't have to use the kit lens. For my EOS 40D, the lens that I use most of the time is the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM. I paid only $854 for it with a promotional code from B&H Photo Video, but we're talking about a lens that normally costs nearly as much as the camera body does. The EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens included with the Rebel XSi kit gives up two f-stops, focusing speed, build quality, and a bit of image quality compared to my lens, but at 1/6 the price, it's an excellent value. The $400 Tamron AF 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II is another popular choice in this focal length range. When equipped with a lens with a maximum aperture of f/2.8 or larger, the EOS 40D has faster and more accurate autofocusing with the center AF point than it manages with slower lenses.

Selecting a telephoto zoom lens is more difficult. The $1700 EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM is the lens that everyone would like to have if cost and weight were no object. Most of us compromise on something smaller, lighter, and cheaper.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:28 am

JAE which system do you think is better overall ? With my wife taking family portraits more and more often the better quality equipment she has the better her results are going to be. Turning out better portraits will get her more work which means she can buy more and better equipment. I dont want to break the bank buying stuff but if it will help her make more money it is worth the price of entry into a better overall system.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:06 am

Honestly getting a 40D with the kit lens and an external flash will probably do you pretty well when it comes to portrait shots. Does she work in studio, or hand-held?
A big advantage that the Nikon's have is the built-in wireless flash, which for studio work is a fairly significant budget-saver.

GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:11 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Honestly getting a 40D with the kit lens and an external flash will probably do you pretty well when it comes to portrait shots. Does she work in studio, or hand-held?
A big advantage that the Nikon's have is the built-in wireless flash, which for studio work is a fairly significant budget-saver.

umm. are you confusing the Canon 40D with the Nikon D40?

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:47 am

I am definitely not an expert. We have plenty of users here who know much more about photography than I do.

Purchasing a DSLR ends up being more about the lenses than the camera body. Whichever brand you buy into, you're going to accumulate a collection of good lenses to go with it. Five years from now, you can buy a new camera body with better specifications and continue to use your lenses, provided that you stay with the same brand.

Canon and Nikon have dominated this market for a long time. On the Nikon side, I dislike that their entry-level models do not autofocus with all of their lenses. With a D80 or better, you can use the mechanically-driven autofocus lenses, but the D40 requires manual focusing with those lenses. Canon switched to the electronic EF mount in 1987 with their EOS line. All EF lenses work with all EOS SLRs, even the cheapest EOS Rebel XS model. The EF-S lenses only work with APS-C size EOS DSLRs (EOS 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, Rebel XT, Rebel XTi, Rebel XS, Rebel XSi). Both companies make good cameras and have a very wide selection of quality lenses available.

With Sony's Alpha, you can use the Minolta Maxxum lenses and the Sony lenses, but what may let Sony challenge the Nikon/Canon duopoly is support from the third-party lens makers (Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc.). These companies have long experience competing with Canon and Nikon by providing lenses that are a good value. These lenses fill in the lens selection currently available for the Sony cameras.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:24 am

GokuSS2 wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

umm. are you confusing the Canon 40D with the Nikon D40?

Nope. I was giving a couple of options.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:06 pm

How much would it take to break the bank?

Thing1:
$1100 Sony α700 DSLR (camera body)
$ 420 Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 wide-standard zoom lens
$ 30 Multi-coated 67mm UV filter
$ 0 re-use existing $800 Sony SAL-70300G 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G SSM telephoto zoom lens and 62mm filters
or is it a $230 Sony SAL-75300 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 with 55mm filters?

Thing2:
$700 Canon EOS Rebel XSi (camera kit)
$ 0 kit includes $170 EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS wide-standard zoom lens
$ 30 Multi-coated 58mm UV filter
$ 90 EF 50mm f/1.8 standard prime lens (uses 52mm filters)
$250 Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro telephoto zoom lens (uses 58mm filters)

Thing3:
$1140 Canon EOS 40D (camera kit)
$ 0 kit includes $410 EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM zoom lens
$ 60 Multi-coated 72mm UV filter
$ 600 EF 70-200 f/4L USM telephoto zoom lens
$ 30 Multi-coated 67mm UV filter
??? more stuff

GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:29 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
I am definitely not an expert. We have plenty of users here who know much more about photography than I do.

Purchasing a DSLR ends up being more about the lenses than the camera body. Whichever brand you buy into, you're going to accumulate a collection of good lenses to go with it. Five years from now, you can buy a new camera body with better specifications and continue to use your lenses, provided that you stay with the same brand.

Canon and Nikon have dominated this market for a long time. On the Nikon side, I dislike that their entry-level models do not autofocus with all of their lenses. With a D80 or better, you can use the mechanically-driven autofocus lenses, but the D40 requires manual focusing with those lenses. Canon switched to the electronic EF mount in 1987 with their EOS line. All EF lenses work with all EOS SLRs, even the cheapest EOS Rebel XS model. The EF-S lenses only work with APS-C size EOS DSLRs (EOS 20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, Rebel XT, Rebel XTi, Rebel XS, Rebel XSi). Both companies make good cameras and have a very wide selection of quality lenses available.

With Sony's Alpha, you can use the Minolta Maxxum lenses and the Sony lenses, but what may let Sony challenge the Nikon/Canon duopoly is support from the third-party lens makers (Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, etc.). These companies have long experience competing with Canon and Nikon by providing lenses that are a good value. These lenses fill in the lens selection currently available for the Sony cameras.

While what JAE said is true (about Nikons Entry level Auto focus problem) Nikon is making all their lenses AFS which will focus faster and quieter on all their cameras. So if you are just getting into Nikon you wont have any issues.

diamond2a
Gerbil First Class

Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:48 pm

I think an investment in glass would be money better spent than an investment in a body. I've been shooting with a 6mp DSLR for a year and have been held back by my lenses and my own (lack of) talent a hundred times for every one time I've been held back by pixel count. If your wife has a good reason for switching systems then go for it, but one nice lens on the 7D will do a whole lot more for her photography than a new system with a kit lens (for a lot less money). Take the time to figure out how her camera gets used and hopefully that'll make the decision easier
Opteron 170 @ 2500 stock cooler/voltage, 1GB Corsair CL 2.5, DFI LanParty UT NF4-D, Sapphire X1950 XT, 160GB IDE, 60GB IDE, 250GB SATA

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:35 am

Hance wrote:
Not much in the way of glass to worry about. She has a Minolta 28-100 kit lens. Not sure of the aperture of the lens but its nothing special probably in the 3.5-5.6 range like most kit lenses are. She also has a Sony 70-300 F4.5-5.6 so its nothing special either.

Here is a Popular Photography review that compares 5 DSLR's and they didnt really care for the sony but gave the canon high marks.

That review only compares the low-end bodies from each manufacturer. Like I said, the low-end sony bodies aren't real great. The higher-end ones are nice enough, though (although I'm not really sold on the system in general, the bodies are not the problem at all). Also, I tend to dislike all of the cheap bodies - none of them handle real well, and like I said they could feel like a big letdown coming from a nice-handling body like the 7D.
JustAnEngineer wrote:
I don't know where the megapixel race will stop. A 6 MP camera is plenty for printing 4x6 prints. With 12 or 15 MP, you can make much larger prints, or crop like a madman. Of course, the higher resolution may come at the expense of possible high-ISO sensitivity, and it is more likely to have enough resolution to reveal flaws in your lenses, if you crop and enlarge.
6MP is good for waaaay more than 4x6 printing. If 6MP was only good for 4x6, then 15MP wouldn't even squeak out good 8x10s. :lol:
diamond2a wrote:
I think an investment in glass would be money better spent than an investment in a body. I've been shooting with a 6mp DSLR for a year and have been held back by my lenses and my own (lack of) talent a hundred times for every one time I've been held back by pixel count. If your wife has a good reason for switching systems then go for it, but one nice lens on the 7D will do a whole lot more for her photography than a new system with a kit lens (for a lot less money). Take the time to figure out how her camera gets used and hopefully that'll make the decision easier
Well, good sony glass is disproportionately expensive. That's a big reason to avoid sony right there. Good glass will do more than a new body, there's no doubt on that.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:07 am

mattsteg wrote:
The low-end Sony bodies aren't real great. The higher-end ones are nice enough.
The Sony α350's CCD sensor suffers from really nasty noise at high ISO. Add that drawback to the Sony kit lens' ugly chromatic aberration, and you would be much better off with the Rebel XSi in this price range.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra350/

mattsteg wrote:
Good Sony glass is disproportionately expensive. That's a big reason to avoid Sony right there. Good glass will do more than a new body, there's no doubt on that.
That's why I believe that Sony really needs Sigma, Tamron and Tokina lenses much more than Canon or Nikon does.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:56 am

I'm beginning to think that waiting for a week or two is a super good idea considering the 50D rumors flying about.

If they are somewhat accurate and the price remains around $1,300 at launch it will be a decent deal. Also, I'm guessing the Nikon D300 will drop in price to compete? maybe?
if so, then you'd have two cameras that you'd be much more happy with in the long-term than any of the entry-level models.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:32 pm

danny e. wrote:
I'm beginning to think that waiting for a week or two is a super good idea considering the 50D rumors flying about.

If they are somewhat accurate and the price remains around $1,300 at launch it will be a decent deal. Also, I'm guessing the Nikon D300 will drop in price to compete? maybe?
if so, then you'd have two cameras that you'd be much more happy with in the long-term than any of the entry-level models.

Doubt it. Nikon IS releasing the D90 with 18-105mm kit lens to fill that price range (this Friday). It will likely use the D300 sensor. Does video to boot

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:12 pm

GokuSS2 wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:
On the Nikon side, I dislike that their entry-level models do not autofocus with all of their lenses. With a D80 or better, you can use the mechanically-driven autofocus lenses, but the D40 requires manual focusing with those lenses.
While what JAE said is true (about Nikons Entry level Auto focus problem) Nikon is making all their lenses AF-S which will focus faster and quieter on all their cameras. So if you are just getting into Nikon you wont have any issues.
Nikon didn't go electronic until 1996, while Canon started making EF lenses in 1987. Nikon currently offers 11 AF-S DX zoom lenses. DX lenses only work with APS-C crop bodies like the D40, D60, D80, D90 and D300 (similar to Canon's EF-S lenses). There are two macro lenses, nine telephoto lenses and seven zoom lenses in the AF-S lineup that will work with the full-frame D3 as well as with the D40. Other than the recently-introduced AF-S Micro NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED, Nikon does not offer any non-telephoto prime lenses that will autofocus with the D40 or D60.

That's a grand total of 11 AF-S DX and 18 AF-S lenses.

Canon currently offers 7 EF-S (six zoom + one macro) lenses and 54 EF lenses, which all work in full automatic with the entry-level Canon EOS DSLR cameras. There are more discontinued EF and EF-S lenses out there that you may find available used.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:41 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
GokuSS2 wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:
On the Nikon side, I dislike that their entry-level models do not autofocus with all of their lenses. With a D80 or better, you can use the mechanically-driven autofocus lenses, but the D40 requires manual focusing with those lenses.
While what JAE said is true (about Nikons Entry level Auto focus problem) Nikon is making all their lenses AF-S which will focus faster and quieter on all their cameras. So if you are just getting into Nikon you wont have any issues.
Nikon didn't go electronic until 1996, while Canon started making EF lenses in 1987. Nikon currently offers 11 AF-S DX zoom lenses. DX lenses only work with APS-C crop bodies like the D40, D60, D80, D90 and D300 (similar to Canon's EF-S lenses). Nikon does not currently offer ANY fisheye, wide angle or standard prime lenses that will autofocus with the D40 or D60. There are two macro lenses, nine telephoto lenses and seven zoom lenses in the AF-S lineup that will work with the full-frame D3 as well as with the D40.

That's a grand total of 11 AF-S DX and 18 AF-S lenses.

Canon currently offers 7 EF-S (six zoom + one macro) lenses and 53 EF lenses, which all work in full automatic with the entry-level Canon EOS DSLR cameras. There are more discontinued EF and EF-S lenses out there that you may find available used.
Don't forget third-party glass for both sides. Also, if you're going to bring up fisheyes, it'd probably be good to mention that Canon doesn't make a fisheye particularly appropriate for crop-camera use, just a 15mm full-frame one that turns into something that's not very wide with a lot of distortion (but not really giving the fisheye look). As far as wide-angle is concerned, the Nikon crop and full-frame zoom wide and ultrawide lenses (12-24, 14-24, 17-35, dx 17-55 I suppose. Third party options like sigma-s 10-20 as well) are all AF-S and excellent quality. They're not primes, but optically they're excellent. Neither company has all that many primes that are wide on crop bodies, although canon has more fast ones and isn't missing AF. Hopefully the primes get touched up soon.

In any case, if you're concerned about buying glass other than current-model zooms, get a D90 or one of its predecessors. They're just better cameras in a lot of ways. If you want to rock the old school manual focus glass from the 80s, get a (used) D200 or a D300. The Nikon entry level range is really aimed at people who are going to buy new zooms. It's probaby a pretty decent fit for the demographic that buys most of them, but it's annoying. I've only got like 2 lenses that would AF on a D40/60, compared to probably 5 or 6 that won't.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:31 pm

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:16 am

I wouldn't really call 35mm wide, nor would I call 28mm wide on a crop body. It's rather silly to include them when we're not talking about full frame cameras.

Canon has the 10-22, nikon the 12-24 (and both take the third party options like that tokina). Canon has the 2 film widezooms (16-35, 17-40), nikon has one 2 (17-35, 14-24, better quality) ones with afs plus another older AF design. Autofocus scarcely matters for many wide angle uses (and is important for others). Both offer the same category of fast 17-55 crop lens, and both offer lesser crop zooms, nikon more of them.

Your random numbers and arbitrary groupings are rather meaningless. "Number of lenses" is kind of pointless, as is calling a 56mm 35mm equiv field of view "wide".

At the end of the day, for most uses either company has you well covered.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:24 am

Well we still haven't decided what to get yet. I did get a chance to fondle the Canon XSI the other day at sams club. It has been ruled out by me. I dont have hands the size of a 5 year old midget.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:30 am

Hance wrote:
Well we still haven't decided what to get yet. I did get a chance to fondle the Canon XSI the other day at sams club. It has been ruled out by me. I dont have hands the size of a 5 year old midget.
Rebels certainly have nowhere near the ergonomics of your old Minolta. Other small cameras aren't as bad, but I'd still lean towards more of a midrange body - the entry-level bodies make a few too many sacrifices for my taste (in handling and operation. You can't really go wrong image-quality wise).

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:55 am

Yeah your right mattsteg. Right now I am leaning towards a more midrange body. Maybe something like the H3DII-50 :o Anybody got a spare 50 grand they want to loan me ?

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:56 am

mattsteg wrote:
I wouldn't really call 35mm wide, nor would I call 28mm wide on a crop body. It's rather silly to include them when we're not talking about full frame cameras.
Your random numbers and arbitrary groupings are rather meaningless. "Number of lenses" is kind of pointless, as is calling a 56mm 35mm equiv field of view "wide".
The numbers are not random and the groupings are industry standard. They are facts. I counted only 24mm and wider lenses in my tally, as you could see from the links that I included.

Truly, no-one needs five dozen different auto-focus lenses to have a complete kit. However, one does notice the absence of large-aperture wide-angle and standard prime lenses from Nikon's AF-S lineup.

If you are going to invest enough money to buy half a dozen really good Nikon lenses, then you can certainly afford the $1625 Nikon D300 camera body, which has more functionality with the old mechanically-driven lenses. That brings us back to my original point about the Nikon line. If you spend the money to get the mid-range or high-end camera bodies, Nikon offers excellent cameras and lenses. The entry-level D40 and D60 are just rather limited.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:23 am

Hance wrote:

But does your wife? (Assuming the XSi is the same size as my XTi, I don't have a problem with it. I like the fact that it's easily maneuverable and graspable with one hand. *shrug* To each his own).

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:26 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
You might let your wife try both models to decide which feels better in her hands. The ergonomics may be more important than the technical differences between the cameras. It may be easier to change settings on the 40D because you don't have to navigate as many menus, but if she prefers the feel of the smaller camera, that could be the deciding factor.

JustAnEngineer wrote:
How much would it take to break the bank?
Thing1:
$1100 Sony α700 DSLR (camera body)
$ 420 Tamron SP AF17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II wide-standard zoom lens
Thing2:
$700 Canon EOS Rebel XSi (camera kit)
Thing3:
$1140 Canon EOS 40D (camera kit)
$ 0 kit includes $410 EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM zoom lens
Hance wrote:
The Rebel XSi is just slightly larger than the Rebel XTi. Scratch Thing2 off of the list. Ergonomics can be important!

Mattsteg might approve of these:
Thing4:
$870 Nikon D80 (camera kit)
$0 kit includes $200 Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR AF-S DX lens

Thing5:
$1300 (estimated) Nikon D90 (camera kit)
$ 0 kit includes 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 ED VR lens

For giggles, you can compare Thing5 to:
Thing6:
$1600 (estimated) Canon 50D (camera kit)
$0 kit includes $410 EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens

P.S.: You don't have to be locked into that Hasselblad. You could consider Phase One or Leaf, instead. :lol:

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:57 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Hance wrote:

But does your wife? (Assuming the XSi is the same size as my XTi, I don't have a problem with it. I like the fact that it's easily maneuverable and graspable with one hand. *shrug* To each his own).

I will use the camera once in awhile and I am not going to drop a couple of grand on something so small its not usable.

The local police department has a D300 and I am friends with the guy that does all the department photography. It might be time to go check that out to.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:03 am

Hance wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Hance wrote:

I will use the camera once in awhile and I am not going to drop a couple of grand on something so small its not usable.

Fair 'nuf. I'm going to disagree, but you are allowed your opinion.