Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Re: The CALL to ARMS. What's your contribution?

Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:53 am

Or we could get the word out that guys with big folding rigs attract hot babes

If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

HurgyMcGurgyGurg
Gerbil First Class

Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:16 pm

We have 327 active folders at the moment. I don't remember what the number was before the Call to Arms, but I kinda think it was about that same number. If that's the case, our massive surge in points is mainly through all the normal folders getting a little more dedicated and active. Just think what we could do if we could get some of the other 2200 folders back on the active list

True, we only have had a 16% surge in active people while we have had a 30% surge in points.

Now more new numbers in!
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=2630

Tr Average: 644,164
Today's Points: 699,839

MacOS X Average: 660,013
Today's Points: 653,761

Now the gap is just 16k and we have out produced them for two days in a row!

montiac
Gerbil

Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:17 am

i just started this folding business today. i've read about it for a while now, and i decided that i'm a perfect candidate for a full-time, full-power folder(the army pays my electric bills + core2duo/8800gts 512). Here's what I'll be bringing to the table...

i've been using my CPU a bit right before taking the snapshot...but my average total should be around 7,600ppd or so when i'm not using the PC...

"Civilization begins with distillation"
-William Faulkner

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:51 am

montiac wrote:
i just started this folding business today. i've read about it for a while now, and i decided that i'm a perfect candidate for a full-time, full-power folder(the army pays my electric bills + core2duo/8800gts 512). Here's what I'll be bringing to the table...

Sweet! Are you running the SMP client, or two console clients?
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

JPinTO
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:17 am

Welcome Montiac! :)

That's impressive PPD for a 8800GTS. Mine's only running 5100PPD at 675Mhz. :(

montiac
Gerbil

Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:25 am

david00214 wrote:
montiac wrote:

2 console clients. like i said, i just started today, so there is quite a bit i don't know. i'm sitll unclear as to what the SMP client is, and how it works. should i be doing the SMP instead? and why??
-William Faulkner

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:33 am

montiac wrote:
david00214 wrote:
montiac wrote:

2 console clients. like i said, i just started today, so there is quite a bit i don't know. i'm sitll unclear as to what the SMP client is, and how it works. should i be doing the SMP instead? and why??

Typically the SMP client gives more points than 2 single core clients. It is similar to the GPU2 client in that it is a "high performance client". However, since the GPU2 client already uses some power of a CPU core, you may have to test things out a bit to see if it really increases your points total. Since you are running Vista the SMP client looks promising.

Suggestion: stop the 2 console single core clients, run them again with the -oneunit switch to finish what they are doing. Then try the SMP client. If you are adventurous you can try the Linux SMP client with VMware.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

montiac
Gerbil

Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:54 am

Flying Fox wrote:
montiac wrote:

Typically the SMP client gives more points than 2 single core clients. It is similar to the GPU2 client in that it is a "high performance client". However, since the GPU2 client already uses some power of a CPU core, you may have to test things out a bit to see if it really increases your points total. Since you are running Vista the SMP client looks promising.

Suggestion: stop the 2 console single core clients, run them again with the -oneunit switch to finish what they are doing. Then try the SMP client. If you are adventurous you can try the Linux SMP client with VMware.

interesting. thanks for the tips and advice. a question on the SMP client....will it utilize both of my cores, or will i have to run 2 SMP clients similar to that of the single core consoles??
-William Faulkner

HurgyMcGurgyGurg
Gerbil First Class

Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:17 am

We just out produced alliance Francophone today!

Tr Today Points: 700,408

Alliance Francophone Today Points: 689,803

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:29 am

montiac wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:
montiac wrote:

interesting. thanks for the tips and advice. a question on the SMP client....will it utilize both of my cores, or will i have to run 2 SMP clients similar to that of the single core consoles??

The SMP client is designed to run on multiple core processors, so it will use both your cores. In fact, it can fully utilize up to 4 cores. The SMP client is worth more points because it folds the protein on different cores, and the results are compared in real time. This allows each core that is folding its protein to learn from the other cores and speeds up the process.

As FF said, once your console clients have finished their WUs, I also suggest trying out the SMP client. It installs and runs well in Vista. Now, if you're interested in getting into something a little more complicated, you can create a virtual environment of UNIX on your computer and run the SMP client on the virtual UNIX operating system. It's faster than running SMP on Vista and will increase your PPD even more. If that stuff sounds unfamiliar and uninteresting don't worry about it. Just install the SMP client right in Vista

montiac
Gerbil

Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:48 am

david00214 wrote:
montiac wrote:

The SMP client is designed to run on multiple core processors, so it will use both your cores. In fact, it can fully utilize up to 4 cores. The SMP client is worth more points because it folds the protein on different cores, and the results are compared in real time. This allows each core that is folding its protein to learn from the other cores and speeds up the process.

As FF said, once your console clients have finished their WUs, I also suggest trying out the SMP client. It installs and runs well in Vista. Now, if you're interested in getting into something a little more complicated, you can create a virtual environment of UNIX on your computer and run the SMP client on the virtual UNIX operating system. It's faster than running SMP on Vista and will increase your PPD even more. If that stuff sounds unfamiliar and uninteresting don't worry about it. Just install the SMP client right in Vista

sounds great! i will most definitely hit that up. i've got the -oneunit tag on both instances of the console, so once that's done, i'll set up the SMP. i'll have to look more into UNIX stuff...i've never done anything like that before, so i'll have to do my research.

just an update: boy that 8800GTS is chugging along....rock steady at ~6,200 ppd :-)
-William Faulkner

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:30 am

Well after messing around with putting four console clients on my Phenom, I decided to just find a good guide and install the SMP client. Everything is chugging along great @ 1329 PPD right now. :)

I completely forgot how addicting folding was during my hiatus. I'm half-tempted to buy a 8800gt so that I can crank out another 5k PPD, but my bank account and better judgment says no. Oh well, maybe in a month or so my finances will allow it.
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

Ttocs
Gerbil Elite

Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:11 pm

Heh. Playing WoW (even turning off AA, running at native) while folding on my 4870 X2 doesn't go hand in hand.

After a few hours, my screen "flipped" (with some other odd artifacts - a minute later, it went back to normal), and a few minutes later, the fan was going full blast. The card was hitting somewhere around 70C, according to CCC.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:26 pm

Excellent deal for anyone wanting to bump their PPD up by 4500 or more: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150276

It's an 8800GS for $85 free shipping

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:27 pm

Here's a link to a thread with a similar card for ~$81 including shipping after $20 rebate. The claim is it will do above 4700 PPD.

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:00 am

This is the 8800GT I ordered on Thursday night (28 August) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121221R and mentioned in the UGN drive to the Top thread. It was $99.99 with free shipping. I will have it and my Xeon 3210 (think Q6400) up and crunching as soon as time allows.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

Pegasus
Gerbil First Class

Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:56 pm

We're ahead of Team MacOS X's PPD!
735,252 - Alliance Francophone
666,736 - The Tech Report
658,461 - Team MacOC X

Just need to get up to 735k PPD now...
i3-530 | HR-01 Plus (passive) | DH55TC | 4GB Kingston DDR3 | Toshiba 250GB 2.5" HDD | Mini P180 | picoPSU 150-xt w/102w brick | 21w idle

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:29 pm

A question:

Will OCs established using RivaTuner that do not crash on Foliding-GPU still work for games?

I'm at 664 Core/1371 Shader/1004 Memory on a G90 GTS 640MB and don't want to tweak back down for games.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

BoBzeBuilder
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:25 pm

I can fold at 800/2000/1100 24/7 without any problems, but when I run Crysiz, I get the BSOD. So the only way to find out for sure is to try some games to see if your card is stable.
i5 2500K @ 4.6GHz / Cooler Master V8 / Asus P8P67 Evo / 8GB G.skill DDR3-1600 / Zotac GTX 780 3GB / Seasonic S12-650 / Samsung 850pro 256GB SSD / Corsair 600T Graphite / those cheap 1440p Korean monitors

Pegasus
Gerbil First Class

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:28 am

Looking at the summary graphs it looks like we are not that far off from Alliance Francophone. But their PPD is 770k. Looking at their last 6 to 7 days of points how did EOC come up with that average?
i3-530 | HR-01 Plus (passive) | DH55TC | 4GB Kingston DDR3 | Toshiba 250GB 2.5" HDD | Mini P180 | picoPSU 150-xt w/102w brick | 21w idle

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:54 am

Pegasus wrote:
Looking at the summary graphs it looks like we are not that far off from Alliance Francophone. But their PPD is 770k. Looking at their last 6 to 7 days of points how did EOC come up with that average?

Beats me. I noticed UGN's PPD #s were all out of whack yesterday as well... Maybe they'll straighten themselves out in a few days.

It's good to have some on our overtake list again! http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... ?s=&t=2630

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:15 pm

Pegasus wrote:

If you look at the 'points for the last 7 days' and divide by 7, you get close to what the weekly average was.

Pegasus
Gerbil First Class

Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:16 pm

Maybe but I don't think it would affect PPD. The low and high day would be in the average canceling each other out. Plus the delay in registering points seemed to affect just individual folders and not teams.

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:55 pm

farmpuma wrote:
This is the 8800GT I ordered on Thursday night (28 August) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121221R and mentioned in the UGN drive to the Top thread. It was $99.99 with free shipping. I will have it and my Xeon 3210 (think Q6400) up and crunching as soon as time allows.

Good work Farmpuma! My 8800 GT, with no overclocks, cranks out 5100 ppd without breaking a sweat.! :D
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:25 pm

According to Fedex, it will be 5 days before my 9600 GSO arrives... hmph. At least my PPD should have recovered a bit from its recent lows by then.

If I buy another G92, I'll have to install an HD, & Windows, and run VMware to keep using the Linux client on the machine it would go in. And then I'd have 2 PCIe cards lying around.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:06 pm

More GPU2 clients for the fires, excellent.

We've done a good job of ramping up so far, but what can we do to reach more people? We'll never be able to stay in the top ten if we only have 300+ members. We need 500+ :o

Actually, our active folders # is going down by 12 from 320 to 308 in past week or so... Gotta switch that around somehow. :wink:

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:30 pm

Yes. We need a way to find old team members who gave up for one reason or another and may have multi-core CPU's or GPU's which can add to our output with little disruption of their normal use of the machines.

Web developers can write something to download forum posts to find usernames, and then build a database out of the list found, and then ordering them by date, with only those names authoring posts not made after a certain date being contacted by PM's.

Pegasus
Gerbil First Class

Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:40 pm

So I picked up 32bit Vista (OEM) today. Only version they had at my college book store but I got it for cheap.
Anyway, which machine should I put it on to lower the GPU2 cpu usage. My AMD X2 with two 8800GTs. I could close down my single CPU client and put a SMP client on. Or on my Intel Quad with 4850. Then I could let each VMed SMP client use their own 2 cores instead of how they are overlapped on one of the cores atm.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:43 am

Ragnar Dan wrote:
Yes. We need a way to find old team members who gave up for one reason or another and may have multi-core CPU's or GPU's which can add to our output with little disruption of their normal use of the machines.

If they ever release a stable SMP client...

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:36 pm

Pegasus wrote:
So I picked up 32bit Vista (OEM) today. Only version they had at my college book store but I got it for cheap.
Anyway, which machine should I put it on to lower the GPU2 cpu usage. My AMD X2 with two 8800GTs. I could close down my single CPU client and put a SMP client on. Or on my Intel Quad with 4850. Then I could let each VMed SMP client use their own 2 cores instead of how they are overlapped on one of the cores atm.

Which version of Vista did you get, and how cheap was it? :)

Seems like the machine with dual 8800GT's would probably benefit most from Vista, though I don't really know about the GPU client and how it works in Vista. JPinTO may be running something like that, though. I think I may need to put Vista on the dual-core machine I'm putting the 9600GSO in.

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
If they ever release a stable SMP client...

It's usually fairly stable as long as you run the Linux client. Just make sure the machine is completely up to full power use for weeks on end, because it will run the CPU and memory hard, and any failures that don't usually show up will often demonstrate themselves with the SMP client.