Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: UnitedGerbilNation's drive to the Top

Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:05 am

Behold the mighty power of UGN!
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:30 am

Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:11 am

david00214 wrote:
Ragnar Dan wrote:
As for your OCing your 9800GX2, I've never OCed my 8800's GPU clock at all. I unlinked it from the shader unit, and then OCed the shader unit. It's putatively running at 1871 MHz (10% OC) and never fails a WU, always runs over 5000 PPD, usually ~5316, and on certain WU's 5760. So I'd OC the shader first, and after that then start with the GPU. And remember, mine will have cost $77 when I finally get the $30 rebate check. ;)

I'm actually talking about overclocking the shaders and underclocking the GPU. I'm curious if anyone knows what kind of underclocking I can do, if any, and still get max points out of the shaders.

I get over 5100 ppd, per fahmon, on my 8800 GTS (XP) & 8800 GT (Vista) without overclocking anything. :D

The GTS is now close to 5900 ppd with the GPU at 700, Shader at 1900 and Memory at 2000. :P I put the fan speed to 65% to help carry away the extra heat. I also have an 80mm case fan blowing across the back of the card and the MB is sitting on a shelf with no case. That helps with the heat dissipation too. :wink:

I am interested to see what the 9800 does with just a shader overclock. :o

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:30 pm

It looks like we are in for a record breaking day! :P :P

Way to go Gerbils!!!!! :D

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:41 pm

jeffry55 wrote:

Uh, before you get too excited, I think we're hitting a record because a server was down for a few hours and didn't record all our points yesterday.
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:11 pm

david00214 wrote:
jeffry55 wrote:

Uh, before you get too excited, I think we're hitting a record because a server was down for a few hours and didn't record all our points yesterday.

Party pooper. :wink: :lol:

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:23 pm

$@Q#%^ it. I'm tired of messing with two GPUs. I ordered the GTX280... Hopefully it will be a bit quieter as well. Make take a small hit in PPD, but it'll look kool in my rig :D

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:45 pm

Post the specs on the GX2 you own again. And, remind us all which OS you're running (Vista, I think?), which GPU client you're running, and other such. Also the SMP clients being used on the CPU, how the cores are split, and all that stuff.

From there maybe some new thinking will arise.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:27 am

david00214 wrote:
$@Q#%^ it. I'm tired of messing with two GPUs. I ordered the GTX280... Hopefully it will be a bit quieter as well. Make take a small hit in PPD, but it'll look kool in my rig :D

2500 ppd to be precise, but less headache is good for health :lol:

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:47 am

Ragnar Dan wrote:
Post the specs on the GX2 you own again. And, remind us all which OS you're running (Vista, I think?), which GPU client you're running, and other such. Also the SMP clients being used on the CPU, how the cores are split, and all that stuff.

OK, I cancelled the order. I'll post some info and hopefully the gerbil hoard can figure out what I'm doing wrong :D

But for now:

- Q9450 (3.5GHZ) with 4GB ram and 9800GX2 videocard
- Vista 64
- I have two SMP clients running on all 4 cores with affinities set to core 0,1 and 2,3... The two GPU2 clients get whatever is left over and are spread on all 4 cores. I tried giving them their own cores, but it had no positive effect on PPD.
- Desktop is extended to Windows 1 and 3, both 1920x1200 resolution
- SLI is disabled and Nvidia Control Panel is set to multiple monitors
- I get anywhere from 4800 to 6000 PPD from the 1st GPU2 client. I get anywhere from 2000 to 3000 PPD from the 2nd GPU2 client. All total the card does 8000 to 9000 PPD. No idea why the second one is always lower than the first.

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:22 am

david00214 wrote:
Ragnar Dan wrote:

OK, I cancelled the order.

Was alcohol involed with the initial order!? Or did mama say, "You ordered what!!??" :o :lol:

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:10 pm

jeffry55 wrote:

Was alcohol involed with the initial order!? Or did mama say, "You ordered what!!??" :o :lol:

:lol: No I was sober, and wife doesn't know anything (not that I keep it secret). :wink:

She was actually pleasantly surprised when she found out what I'd spent on the 9800GX2. I recently got a bonus at work and she is expecting me at any moment to go buy something big... Actually I plan on putting the money in a money market. Saving money to move someday...

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:34 pm

david00214 wrote:
jeffry55 wrote:

:lol: No I was sober, and wife doesn't know anything (not that I keep it secret). :wink:

She was actually pleasantly surprised when she found out what I'd spent on the 9800GX2. I recently got a bonus at work and she is expecting me at any moment to go buy something big... Actually I plan on putting the money in a money market. Saving money to move someday...

Out to California to be near Vijay?

JPinTO
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:38 pm

Stop messing around with Vista and put XP in! :-)

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:14 pm

JPinTO wrote:

Why?

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:13 pm

david00214 wrote:
JPinTO wrote:

Why?

I think the reason is XP plays nicer with two GPU clients than Vista.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:25 pm

I could swear one of the people here, maybe Pegasus, has 2 GPUs on Vista along with SMP, but maybe not since his latest post on the Call to Arms thread would seem to indicate otherwise.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:19 pm

I do have both GPUs folding, the issue is that one of them is really underperforming. Here are the remaining details that I promised. Does anyone know what else I can try?

- Q9450 (3.5GHZ) with 4GB ram and 9800GX2 videocard
- Vista 64
- I have two SMP clients running on all 4 cores with affinities set to core 0,1 and 2,3... The two GPU2 clients get whatever is left over and are spread on all 4 cores. I tried giving them their own cores, but it had no positive effect on PPD.
- Desktop is extended to Windows 1 and 3, both 1920x1200 resolution
- SLI is disabled and Nvidia Control Panel is set to multiple monitors
- I get anywhere from 4800 to 6000 PPD from the 1st GPU2 client. I get anywhere from 2000 to 3000 PPD from the 2nd GPU2 client. All total the card does 8000 to 9000 PPD. No idea why the second one is always lower than the first.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:31 pm

The only thing that comes to mind, and I might be misremembering, but I thought in one of these disorganized threads that someone mentioned trying to run the 2nd GPU at a higher priority. I bet there's decent info at either foldingforum.org or one of the forums of the higher performing teams.

JPinTO
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:05 pm

[quote="david00214"]I do have both GPUs folding, the issue is that one of them is really underperforming.[/quote]

That's why. A GX2 is worth 10500-11000PPD. It rocks with XP!

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder

Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:08 pm

I'm assuming we're all aware of your problem with your GX2, BTW.

Anyway, this thing (which was last updated August 25) says something about not letting Windows look for a driver for the 2nd GPU, and that "If you let Windows install the driver automatically, there is a big risk of having sub-par performances or client issues."

And later it mentions that thing about selecting a higher priority in the Advanced tab.

Did you do all that stuff properly? Do it again to make sure, since the Priority thing is wrong in the 2nd client's Advanced tab. :)

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:53 am

Have you tried setting the SMP clients to share a core (1.5 cores per SMP client) and locking both GPU clients to the fourth core? I apologize if you have tried this and I'm not remembering it.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:14 pm

LEOR!!! THE MIGHTY MIGHTY UGN GERBIL IS COMING FOR YOU!!! WHAT SHALL YOU DO???

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:27 am

Ragnar Dan wrote:

Anyway, this thing (which was last updated August 25) says something about not letting Windows look for a driver for the 2nd GPU, and that "If you let Windows install the driver automatically, there is a big risk of having sub-par performances or client issues."

And later it mentions that thing about selecting a higher priority in the Advanced tab.

Did you do all that stuff properly? Do it again to make sure, since the Priority thing is wrong in the 2nd client's Advanced tab. :)

I tried switching the "-gpu 1" commands AND increasing the priority on the 2nd GPU yesterday with no effect. I'm beginning to think it's the "Vista installed a driver automatically" issue and am going to try reinstalling. Thaks for the link btw, I had not seen this :oops:

Ugh, I cannot get Vista to stop automatically installing drivers. grrrrr... I disabled auto driver installation in the "Windows Update" settings based on a recommendation in an MS forum, but that did not stop the auto install. Anyone have any ideas???

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:46 am

david00214 wrote:
Ragnar Dan wrote:

I tried switching the "-gpu 1" commands AND increasing the priority on the 2nd GPU yesterday with no effect. I'm beginning to think it's the "Vista installed a driver automatically" issue and am going to try reinstalling. Thaks for the link btw, I had not seen this :oops:

Ugh, I cannot get Vista to stop automatically installing drivers. grrrrr... I disabled auto driver installation in the "Windows Update" settings based on a recommendation in an MS forum, but that did not stop the auto install. Anyone have any ideas???

Yes, I do! I do!! Pick me!!! :D

Uninstall the video driver. Restart your computer in safe mode (press F-8 during startup) and run the NVidia installer. I don't think you get auto install of drivers other than the basic stuff in Safe Mode. :D

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:18 am

jeffry55 wrote:

Uninstall the video driver. Restart your computer in safe mode (press F-8 during startup) and run the NVidia installer. I don't think you get auto install of drivers other than the basic stuff in Safe Mode. :D

Hmmm That's not a bad idea. I've never installed drivers from Safe Mode. Anything special I need to do?

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:47 am

david00214 wrote:
jeffry55 wrote:

Hmmm That's not a bad idea. I've never installed drivers from Safe Mode. Anything special I need to do?

Anything special ..................hmmmmmmmmmmmm...........................burnt offerings to the Microsoft Gods always help, two good beers, a swiss army knife and a piece of string. Tap the F-8 key like your life depended on it until you get the boot screen. I tap out S-O-S in morse code. :wink: :lol:

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:12 pm

jeffry55 wrote:
david00214 wrote:
jeffry55 wrote:

Anything special ..................hmmmmmmmmmmmm...........................burnt offerings to the Microsoft Gods always help, two good beers, a swiss army knife and a piece of string. Tap the F-8 key like your life depended on it until you get the boot screen. I tap out S-O-S in morse code. :wink: :lol:

... --- ...

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:22 pm

Only two weeks until we move up another notch! :P I like moving up notches. :wink:

leor
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:34 pm

david00214 wrote:
LEOR!!! THE MIGHTY MIGHTY UGN GERBIL IS COMING FOR YOU!!! WHAT SHALL YOU DO???

meh, i've gone off the whole thing. the SMP client was the beginning, that got drfish disinterested in the whole points thing, now this GPU client iced it for me.

when 10 GPUs = 50k and 40 CPUs = 10k, what's the point of maintaining a farm and staying in competition?