Topic Author

Lance Armstrong returns to Tour in '09

Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:25 pm

JJCDAD
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Lance Armstrong returns to Tour in '09

Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:29 pm

Why on earth would he do this?!?!?

He did a lot to earn his $$$, now he should just kick back and enjoy it.

If I ever get to the point where bangin' super models does give me enough ego boost, somebody shoot me please. :)

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:34 pm

JJCDAD wrote:
Why on earth would he do this?!?!?

He did a lot to earn his $$$, now he should just kick back and enjoy it.

If I ever get to the point where bangin' super models does give me enough ego boost, somebody shoot me please. :)

Well, he won't have a hard time getting back in shape (he started marathons when he retired, and did his first pro level race in 3 years in August), but I don't know about his durability. He's 37. That's really old to be in a 3 week kill-your-body fest.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:01 pm

Yeah, and there is a long tradition of TdF winners that come back and fall on their face. He will probably be among them. I've been watching the TdF four about 5 or 6 years now, and admittedly Lance dominated the competition in the races I saw, but wow, coming out of retirement after three years and at his age (I'm 37 myself) seems crazy. If he winds I will be stunned and in awe, if he loses I'll wish he'd known when to quit. I'd always respected that he retired while he was on top and knew when to say when. So few athletes do...
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:36 pm

david00214 wrote:
Yeah, and there is a long tradition of TdF winners that come back and fall on their face. He will probably be among them. I've been watching the TdF four about 5 or 6 years now, and admittedly Lance dominated the competition in the races I saw, but wow, coming out of retirement after three years and at his age (I'm 37 myself) seems crazy. If he winds I will be stunned and in awe, if he loses I'll wish he'd known when to quit. I'd always respected that he retired while he was on top and knew when to say when. So few athletes do...

His wins were also heavily supported by his team. He will need even more help this time around I think. How awful would it be if he got busted for doping? That would ruin the sport even more :-/

fpsduck
Gerbil XP

Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:43 pm

I think it's good to see him on the race rather than on some crappy movies (You, me and Dupree).
Life is short