TR Xbox Live Gamertag Exchange! TR Gamers Unite!

How we justify all that high-dollar hardware.

Moderator: Hoser

Re: TR Xbox Live Gamertag Exchange! Big Update 3/22/08!

Postposted on Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:35 pm

Darkmage wrote:Hey, I have a question. I don't have an XBOX Live Gold account yet, mainly because I'm a cheapskate. I know I need one to play online with you guys. The other concern I have is that I don't have one of those XBOX keyboards, nor a headset. So... If I got the Gold account, how would I play with you guys?

Do I just click on your name and send a "I wanna play" request? Should I get the headset so I can at least talk to you while we're setting up a game? Should I get a keyboard so I can type in messages? What's the protocol for setting up games?

Very easy. If I setup a game all I do is go to the Dashboard (hit the Xbox Guide Button), navigate to my friends list, and press "X" to Invite to Game. You simply hit the guide button when the invite pops up and accept the invite. It's that simple. You just need a headset, which every Xbox 360 comes with anyway. I use the wireless headset but it's not necessary. A Keyboard is definitely not necessary, I never text chat on Xbox Live.
Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Core i5-3550 | EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC w/ACX | 16GB Patriot Viper DDR3-1866 | Fractal Define R4 | EVGA Supernova 750 G2 PSU | Dell U2712HM LCD | Win 8.1 64bit
Steam/Xbox LIVE/PSN: PerfectCr
My gaming tattoos
PerfectCr
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:37 pm

PerfectCr wrote:You just need a headset, which every Xbox 360 comes with anyway. I use the wireless headset but it's not necessary. A Keyboard is definitely not necessary, I never text chat on Xbox Live.
Heh. My Xbox did not come with a headset. But that's okay, I can pick one up. Thanks!

Forge! Warm up your fingers, 'cuz we are going to ROCK!
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus
Darkmage
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:40 pm

Darkmage wrote:
PerfectCr wrote:You just need a headset, which every Xbox 360 comes with anyway. I use the wireless headset but it's not necessary. A Keyboard is definitely not necessary, I never text chat on Xbox Live.
Heh. My Xbox did not come with a headset. But that's okay, I can pick one up. Thanks!

Forge! Warm up your fingers, 'cuz we are going to ROCK!

What? Did you buy the Arcade?
Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Core i5-3550 | EVGA GTX 780 Ti SC w/ACX | 16GB Patriot Viper DDR3-1866 | Fractal Define R4 | EVGA Supernova 750 G2 PSU | Dell U2712HM LCD | Win 8.1 64bit
My gaming tattoos
PerfectCr
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:45 pm

I don't think so... My brother got it for me for Xmas. 20 GB hard drive, one controller, Marvel UA & Fortenza Racing (or whatever). It's not a big deal. I'll just order one. Are there any deals on the Xbox Live gold accounts?
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus
Darkmage
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:02 pm

Darkmage wrote:I don't think so... My brother got it for me for Xmas. 20 GB hard drive, one controller, Marvel UA & Fortenza Racing (or whatever). It's not a big deal. I'll just order one. Are there any deals on the Xbox Live gold accounts?

Check Ebay. I got my Gold renewal for $ 34. :)
My gaming tattoos
PerfectCr
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:26 pm

Darkmage wrote:Hey, I have a question. I don't have an XBOX Live Gold account yet, mainly because I'm a cheapskate. I know I need one to play online with you guys. The other concern I have is that I don't have one of those XBOX keyboards, nor a headset. So... If I got the Gold account, how would I play with you guys?

Do I just click on your name and send a "I wanna play" request? Should I get the headset so I can at least talk to you while we're setting up a game? Should I get a keyboard so I can type in messages? What's the protocol for setting up games?

I don't have a keyboard hooked up, but I keep one handy. The headset is very nice for matchmaking and in-game chatting. Neither is necessarily required, though.

If you want to see if Live is for you, get one of those free trials and get ahold of me. I can have pretty much any game with advanced notice. I'm playing a lot of Mercenaries 2 lately (OMFG FUN COOP), but I have Force Unleashed and Rock Band 2 here on a spindle waiting to go upstairs too.

In a pinch you can send text messages via the controller to set up a match and play without a headset. It just adds to the experience.
I've been here long enough that I think I can forgo a signature.
Forge
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:19 am

Hey, I was just randomly wandering off-topic and wanting to know how you guys get your gamertag (theme, name/other stuff) where your signature is on your replies...??
MotoGateVirtual
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:59 am

I get mine from http://www.mygamercard.net. Right there on front page you can enter your info and it will spit out BBcode or html for you. If you want "presence" info such "Last seen at" or "Playing Gears of War" etc. you need to sign up for an account at MGC and change your settings.

Another is http://www.glop.org/gamercard but it won't have presence info.
My gaming tattoos
PerfectCr
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:27 am

Thanks dude...By the way, I see you've played N7...how do you like it? I've heard some good things about it, but I'm usually not much of an arcade type player...
MotoGateVirtual
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:29 am

MotoGateVirtual wrote:Thanks dude...By the way, I see you've played N7...how do you like it? I've heard some good things about it, but I'm usually not much of an arcade type player...

Ummmm, the N7 gamerpic is from MASS EFFECT. ;) Is there even a game called N7?
My gaming tattoos
PerfectCr
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:04 am

...Or am I thinking of N+ and N7 is the patch latch from Mass Effect??
MotoGateVirtual
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:13 am

Man, you post back fast. I didn't even read your second post before i wrote my last one, lol...anyways, i caught myself, sorry about that, i was thinking of N+. I'm at work, and I've been pretty preoccupied all day, so posting back takes me a while sometimes.
MotoGateVirtual
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:37 am

MotoGateVirtual wrote:I'm at work, and I've been pretty preoccupied all day, so posting back takes me a while sometimes.

Could be worse. You could have lots of time to post and think, like me.

It's bad for you.
Forge
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:10 pm

Hey Forge, what are the 1st, 3rd, and 8th games from the pics in your gamerpic...the images aren't triggering anything.
MotoGateVirtual
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:20 pm

MotoGateVirtual wrote:Hey Forge, what are the 1st, 3rd, and 8th games from the pics in your gamerpic...the images aren't triggering anything.

L to R

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (The Forge Unleashed!)
Rock Banned 2
Lego Indiana Jones
Rock Banned 1
Mercenaries 2
NFS: Most Wanted
Too Human
Feeding Frenzy (XBLA)
Army of Two
Civ Rev
Forge
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:25 pm

I'm about 75% complete with L:IJ. What fun! I love the throwbacks to Star Wars.
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Postposted on Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:36 pm

I didn't even realize FU was out yet!!! I'm gonna have ta jump on that!
Is the Civilization game good?
MotoGateVirtual
Gerbil

Postposted on Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:50 pm

MotoGateVirtual wrote:I didn't even realize FU was out yet!!! I'm gonna have ta jump on that!
Is the Civilization game good?

Yeah, TFU was night before last midnight launch. I had to sit on it all Sunday waiting for the street date. Stupid Live bans for breaking street date!

Civ Rev is a lot of fun. I have no idea how it compares to the classics (Civ2/Civ3), but I picked up Civ4 and gave it a try and it's very similar to Civ Rev.

I'm looking forward to getting in some time on TFU tonight. I spent a bunch of time on other stuff last night and then a song or two in RB2 got me into the wee hours of the morning. I played the intro and first chapter (VADER!) but then had to knock off as it was almost 0500.

Tonight is TFU early, though. It's too fun to not play. Glad I finished Mercs2 in time.
Forge
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:01 am

Ya, I've been behind on the new games lately, I haven't picked up Mercs 2 yet either. I just don't have as much time this year as I've had in the past. Work, school, and the girlfriend take up 96% of my time. I have Gamefly though, so I might pick up some rents ta catch up on the times a little.

I just watched a Sandbox Stunts video for Mercs 2 on Kotaku.com and it looked like a lot of fun to try some of them...I'm kinda anxious to play it.
MotoGateVirtual
Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:06 am

So I had a weird problem. I was playing Lego Indiana Jones monday night. I have two controllers, one was charging via the nifty play-n-charge cable and I was playing with the other one. Well the one I was playing with ran out of juice, so I switched to the one that was charging and just left the dead one to die. Well apparently the xbox didn't like that because I got a message saying that since it lost the controller, no more games could be saved. I then switched the charger to charge the dead one and so ignored the message assuming that said action would resolve it. Well after playing for 4 more hours I went to bed. I go to play it last night, and lo-and-behold, those 4 hours of playing were for not. It indeed didn't save so I had to do it all over last night. Quite annoying.

Is that normal?
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:08 am

Was the controller being charged signed in with another profile? If so, you might have switched to a guest profile or someone else's profile signed in and assigned to that controller. You have to make sure you hit the guide button and sign out the other profile (assuming you have multiple people signed in) to switch controllers.

Note: Turning of the controller does NOT sign out the other profile. So if you and your wife are playing, each signed in to a profile and assigned to controller 1 (you) and 2 (wife), and your wife stops playing, she needs to sign out (hit guide button then X), and then turn off the controller. THEN you can switch controllers. So if you switched controllers before doing this then you essentially stopped playing under your profile/gamertag and began playing under another (her's). It's easy to see who is signed in to a controller by hitting the Xbox button on that controller. ;)
My gaming tattoos
PerfectCr
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:47 am

PerfectCr wrote:Was the controller being charged signed in with another profile?

Not that I know of. I hadn't actively used that controller in the gaming session, but since it was plugged in, it was detected as controller 1, I believe.

In terms of profiles I only have my own, and then the one that my old roommate used, and that one's only there because I have looked on how to delete it.
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:56 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
PerfectCr wrote:Was the controller being charged signed in with another profile?

Not that I know of. I hadn't actively used that controller in the gaming session, but since it was plugged in, it was detected as controller 1, I believe.

In terms of profiles I only have my own, and then the one that my old roommate used, and that one's only there because I have looked on how to delete it.

Well then you might have accidentally signed out. That's the only thing I can think of.
My gaming tattoos
PerfectCr
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:13 am

PerfectCr wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

Well then you might have accidentally signed out. That's the only thing I can think of.

It's all good. I just have to finish the last 15% tonight since the rental is due tomorrow at noon.
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:16 am

Usacomp2k3 wrote:In terms of profiles I only have my own, and then the one that my old roommate used, and that one's only there because I have looked on how to delete it.

Nevermind. Figured that out:
http://channel9.msdn.com/forums/Coffeeh ... x-profile/
System > Memory > Location > Gamer Profiles > Delete.
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Postposted on Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:42 pm

Hey is InkedSphyx around? I tried to chat with him this weekend, but no go. I saw he was playing Rock Band 2 and thought I could jump in... I fail at this whole XBOX Live thing. :(

So what's the protocol? Do I Invite To Chat, or do I Invite to Game? I think I sent him a couple chat invitations, but I didn't want to push my luck. He was right in the middle of Don't Fear The Reaper, it seemed kind of rude to pester him...
Darkmage
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:53 pm

Darkmage wrote:Hey is InkedSphyx around? I tried to chat with him this weekend, but no go. I saw he was playing Rock Band 2 and thought I could jump in... I fail at this whole XBOX Live thing. :(

So what's the protocol? Do I Invite To Chat, or do I Invite to Game? I think I sent him a couple chat invitations, but I didn't want to push my luck. He was right in the middle of Don't Fear The Reaper, it seemed kind of rude to pester him...
Well if he's playing and is not "joinable" then he would have to invite you. You cannot invite yourself. :) And if you invite him to chat, then that's a chat invite, not a game invite. ;)
My gaming tattoos
PerfectCr
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:30 pm

So is anyone else excited about the fall update? I am now that I heard you can turn off the stupid Mii-replica thing.
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Postposted on Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:47 pm

PerfectCr wrote:Well if he's playing and is not "joinable" then he would have to invite you. You cannot invite yourself. :) And if you invite him to chat, then that's a chat invite, not a game invite. ;)

Ah. But does he get a message in the middle of a song saying "Hey, this crazy person you've never heard of just sent you an invitation?" And what's the over/under on sending a 2nd request?

Usacomp2k3 wrote:So is anyone else excited about the fall update?
Meeeeee!!! My Netflix account is all warmed up.
Darkmage
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:48 pm

Darkmage wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:So is anyone else excited about the fall update?
Meeeeee!!! My Netflix account is all warmed up.

Indeed. Now if they'll ever get a Hulu plug-in working, IPTV'll be here sooner than you think. I can't wait for it!
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

PreviousNext

Return to Gaming