Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

amphibem
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Guide to rebuilding Ubuntu patches?

Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:11 pm

I am looking for a decent guide to teach me how to make changes to the source of a patch, and doing a rebuild, in Ubuntu. I have had a look around but it hard to find specifically what I want, there are Linux newbie sites which don't go into enough detail and guides on updating your kernel which isn't what I think I need to do. I have tried to fully explain below but if the above makes sense and someone knows a good guide a link would be greatly appreciated :)

The detailed explaination:
This rebuild etc is for Mythbuntu (i.e. mythtv) on my Media Center as I am working to get it fully supporting New Zealand's new digital TV service. This is a DVB-T system delivering H.264 (i.e. MPEG4) and HE-AAC encoded content, with a collection of 576i, 720p and 1080i channels. For those not aware MPEG4 digital TV has not been used much in full scale TV services and hence work on support for it in Linux (and mythtv particularily) is still on-going. As an aside, Vista Media Center currently has no support for H.264, open source (my HTPC currently runs MediaPortal) is definitely doing a lot better on this front!

So as you would expect from the open source community a local MythTV guy has put together some patches which add support for the AAC audio to mythtv and improve performance for H.264 decoding in software. However there is one particular change that seems required for all but the most powerful CPU's, as more normal ones such as my 5200 X2 cannot smoothly play the 1 1080i channel. Some people on the mythtvnz list have come up with a solution and I don't fully understand but basically I think it forces myth to drop some frames to maintain smooth playback (to do with 'skip loop filter' anyway). But to make this change I am told I need to change the source of the patch and rebuild mythtv, and this is where I get stuck.

Here and here are the relevant threads from the mailing list, might help explain what I am trying to do better than I can!
Phenom II X4 955 BE - 3GB RAM - AMD HD5770 - 640GB WD - Viewsonic 19" - DVDRW - Windows 7

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Guide to rebuilding Ubuntu patches?

Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:12 pm

You want to grab the source package (as listed in the first thread) and then add your patch in to it to build a binary package that you can then install.

If you are hunting for packaging instructions, remember that Ubuntu uses Debian packaging so search the Debian pages as well as the Ubuntu ones, they may make a bit more sense. I did do something similar a couple of years ago, but haven't done it since and can't find my notes, so you'll have to resort to Googling I'm afraid.

amphibem
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:38 pm

notfred wrote:
You want to grab the source package (as listed in the first thread) and then add your patch in to it to build a binary package that you can then install.

If you are hunting for packaging instructions, remember that Ubuntu uses Debian packaging so search the Debian pages as well as the Ubuntu ones, they may make a bit more sense. I did do something similar a couple of years ago, but haven't done it since and can't find my notes, so you'll have to resort to Googling I'm afraid.

Thanks for that, googling "debian rebuilding patches" got me a lot further than before.

I think the bit that is tripping me up currently is that I do not know where the source files are actually going. I add:
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/paul-kcbbs/ubuntu hardy main

to /etc/apt/sources.lst and do an update, upgrade etc. So where are those files for me to edit? e.g. where is 'libs/libmythtv/avformatdecoder.cpp' going to be?
Phenom II X4 955 BE - 3GB RAM - AMD HD5770 - 640GB WD - Viewsonic 19" - DVDRW - Windows 7

bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:10 am

So, with that added to your sources.list (and after running apt-get update to get the package info), run:
apt-get -t hardy source mythtv
which will fetch the source and unpack it into a dir called "mythtv-0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm"

From there, you can find libs/libmythtv/avformatdecoder.cpp. Once you have patched it, apt-get install fakeroot and run (in the mythtv-0.21.0... dir):
fakeroot debian/rules binary
and it will build new deb packages of the mythtv stuff with the patched source.

However, before you build it, you'll need to get all of the build dependencies of the mythtv package (all of the libraries and development packages required to compile the stuff, which is typically a lot more than is needed to run it). Running
apt-get -t hardy build-dep mythtv
will automatically fetch and install the build dependencies if it can, but that site's package's build dependencies are specified in terms of Ubuntu hardy, which may have slightly different libraries compared to your Debian install, so it might not be able to satisfy all the dependencies. If you run into that problem, you can add
deb-src http://www.debian-multimedia.org unstable main
to your sources.list, apt-get update and then run apt-get build-dep mythtv (without the -t hardy) to get the build deps for the debian-multimedia version of mythtv, which I believe the patched version is based on. If that doesn't give you everything you need (i.e. running the fakeroot build process fails due to not having some library), in the mythtv-0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm dir, there is a "dsc" file which contains a list of all of the build dependencies required for the source package.

amphibem
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:39 am

Wow that looks great. Should get a chance to try this all out tonight and will let you know how I go.

On a side note, is it alright for me to use your instructions to create a complete set of instructions for what I am doing, assuming it works? I will of course link back here (as well as my other sources).

amphibem
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:29 am

OK so I have run into a number of problems, hopefully there is a way around this! The issue that has actually halted me is at the bottom, I have worked through the process is order though for clarity.

bitvector wrote:
So, with that added to your sources.list (and after running apt-get update to get the package info), run:
apt-get -t hardy source mythtv
which will fetch the source and unpack it into a dir called "mythtv-0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm"

This worked, however the folder is called 'mythtv-0.21.0+fixes16838'. I do not know what this means but given it doesn't include ffmpeg updates it doesn't look good.

bitvector wrote:
From there, you can find libs/libmythtv/avformatdecoder.cpp. Once you have patched it, apt-get install fakeroot and run (in the mythtv-0.21.0... dir):
fakeroot debian/rules binary
and it will build new deb packages of the mythtv stuff with the patched source.

So I found the code I needed to change and did that, and installed fakeroot. That all worked, and obviosuly I didn't try the rebuild yet.

bitvector wrote:
However, before you build it, you'll need to get all of the build dependencies of the mythtv package (all of the libraries and development packages required to compile the stuff, which is typically a lot more than is needed to run it). Running
will automatically fetch and install the build dependencies if it can, but that site's package's build dependencies are specified in terms of Ubuntu hardy, which may have slightly different libraries compared to your Debian install, so it might not be able to satisfy all the dependencies. If you run into that problem, you can add
deb-src http://www.debian-multimedia.org unstable main
to your sources.list, apt-get update and then run apt-get build-dep mythtv (without the -t hardy) to get the build deps for the debian-multimedia version of mythtv, which I believe the patched version is based on. If that doesn't give you everything you need (i.e. running the fakeroot build process fails due to not having some library), in the mythtv-0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm dir, there is a "dsc" file which contains a list of all of the build dependencies required for the source package.

This is where I really had issues.

1) Get extra packages.
failed with
E: Build-dependencies for mythtv could not be satisfied.
Ok, need to add multimedia stuff.

2) Added the required line to sources.list, ran
sudo apt-get update
and got the following error:
W: GPG error: http://www.debian-multimedia.org unstable Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 07DC563D1F41B907
W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

Now usually Linux has pretty useful error messages, but telling me to run the command that just failed to fix the command that just failed...

3) Ran
apt-get build-dep mythtv
anyway and got the following error. This is were I get stuck.
E: Build-Depends dependency for mythtv cannot be satisfied because the package libmp3lame-dev cannot be found

I try
apt-get install libmp3lame-dev
and get
E: Couldn't find package libmp3lame-dev
. Getting the source however does work, somewhat (ends with a warning about unsafe ownership, cannot check public key). But it seems to find it.

So I go have a look in 'mythtv_0.21.0+fixes16838-0ubuntu3.dsc', the most similar build depedency is 'liblame-dev'. I can apt-get this and that works fine, however
apt-get build-dep mythtv
still fails with the same error. I also tried getting 'libmp3lame', doesn't exist. Installed 'lame', also no good.

Can anyone see what is going on here? I am not even sure if the problem is build-dep trying to find a package that doesn't exist (maybe named wrong somewhere?), or can it not find a package it does need?

Final note, I google libmp3lame-dev and find this page. There is a direct download for a .deb file, could that help me? Also that page note liblame-dev as a conflict. Should I remove it?

Sorry for the long post, would greatly appreciate if someone can help me get to the bottom of this! Part of this process is me trying to learn more about Linux so i am not afraid to get my hands dirty, just need some guidance.

bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:19 pm

amphibem wrote:
This worked, however the folder is called 'mythtv-0.21.0+fixes16838'. I do not know what this means but given it doesn't include ffmpeg updates it doesn't look good.
Well, right off the bat, that means you're getting the sources from the wrong site so that version isn't going to work the way you want. I somehow overlooked that you were using Mythbuntu (I misread something in your reply to notfred's post and thought you were using Debian), so what's happening is you're getting the Ubuntu source version. Remove the debian-multimedia deb-src line, and run apt-get update.
Try this instead:
apt-get source mythtv='0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1'
apt-get build-dep mythtv='0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1'
That should force it to go with that particular version of the mythtv package rather than the default Ubuntu 'mythtv-0.21.0+fixes16838' version.

If it still can't resolve some build dependencies, you're just going to have to look in the dsc file and apt-get install them manually:
Build-Depends: debhelper (>> 6), libqt3-mt-dev, libdvb-dev, libmp3lame-dev, libmysqlclient15-dev, libfreetype6-dev, libavc1394-dev, libvorbis-dev, quilt, liblircclient-dev, libartsc0-dev, libasound2-dev, libxinerama-dev, libdts-dev, libiec61883-dev (>= 1.0.0), libxxf86vm-dev, po-debconf, libxvmc-dev, libdvdnav-dev, libimlib2-dev, libxext-dev, libjack0.100.0-dev | libjack-dev, texi2html, ccache, linux-kernel-headers, libgl1-mesa-swx11-dev | libgl-dev, fftw3-dev | libfftw3-dev, python-support, libx264-dev, liba52-0.7.4-dev, libxvidcore4-dev, libfaad-dev, libfaac-dev, g++-4.2, xserver-xorg-video-via, libfribidi-dev
Those are the build depends, and it is a big comma-separated list of stuff needed to build. When you have an entry like "A | B" it means you need one or the other. I see libmp3lame-dev is present, which is apparently the new name for liblame-dev in Ubuntu intrepid, but the rename hasn't propagated down to hardy yet, so you should just use whichever version you can get. It is common to run into unsatisfiable dependencies for secondary, modified packages unless you are running a very similar sources.list to the author.

amphibem
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:57 pm

Deleted the 'multimedia' line, ran update then ran these:
apt-get source mythtv='0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1'
apt-get build-dep mythtv='0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1'

That worked, with no errors. Then remembered to go back and make the change to avformatdecoder.cpp! Not much point without that.

Now to rebuild and install? Found a set of instructions here,hopefully that is correct. It is rebuilding now, will update with results.

Edit: OK that seems to run fine, did get a number of errors/messages at output however:
warning, `debian/mythtv-backend/DEBIAN/control' contains user-defined field `Original-Maintainer'
dpkg-deb: building package `mythtv-backend' in `../mythtv-backend_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1_amd64.deb'.
dpkg-deb: ignoring 1 warnings about the control file(s)
warning, `debian/mythtv-transcode-utils/DEBIAN/control' contains user-defined field `Original-Maintainer'
dpkg-deb: building package `mythtv-transcode-utils' in `../mythtv-transcode-utils_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1_amd64.deb'.
warning, `debian/mythtv-frontend/DEBIAN/control' contains user-defined field `Original-Maintainer'
dpkg-deb: building package `mythtv-frontend' in `../mythtv-frontend_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1_amd64.deb'.
warning, `debian/libmyth-0.21-0/DEBIAN/control' contains user-defined field `Original-Maintainer'
dpkg-deb: building package `libmyth-0.21-0' in `../libmyth-0.21-0_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1_amd64.deb'.
warning, `debian/libmyth-dev/DEBIAN/control' contains user-defined field `Original-Maintainer'
dpkg-deb: building package `libmyth-dev' in `../libmyth-dev_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1_amd64.deb'.
 dpkg-genchanges -b >../mythtv_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1_amd64.changes
dpkg-genchanges: binary-only upload - not including any source code
 signfile mythtv_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1_amd64.changes
gpg: WARNING: unsafe ownership on configuration file `/home/mc/.gnupg/gpg.conf'
gpg: keyring `/home/mc/.gnupg/secring.gpg' created
gpg: skipped "Paul Kendall <[email protected]>": secret key not available
gpg: [stdin]: clearsign failed: secret key not available

dpkg-buildpackage: binary only upload (no source included)
dpkg-buildpackage: warning: Failed to sign .changes file

Now I don't understand all of that but clearly there is an issue with version numbers, and the fact that I am not either the maintainer of mythtv or Paul Kendall. What is the procedure here for numbering/naming rebuilds that are not from the official maintainers?

Finally,to install (assuming none of the above errors are show stopping):

Code from linked instructions:

# dpkg -i ../mplayer_version-revision_arch.deb

Here is the contents of my home folder:

Desktop                                                           mythtv_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1.dsc
EEED06D0.gpg.1                                                    mythtv_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm.orig.tar.gz
libmyth-0.21-0_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1_amd64.deb  mythtv-backend_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1_amd64.deb
libmyth-dev_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1_amd64.deb     mythtv-backend-master_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1_all.deb
libmyth-perl_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1_all.deb      mythtv-common_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1_all.deb
libmyth-python_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1_all.deb    mythtv-database_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1_all.deb
mythtv-0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm                         mythtv-doc_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1_all.deb
mythtv_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1_all.deb            mythtv-frontend_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1_amd64.deb
mythtv_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1_amd64.changes      mythtv-transcode-utils_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1_amd64.deb
mythtv_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1.diff.gz            ubuntu-mythtv-frontend_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1_all.deb

A lot of stuff there, it looks to be that mythtv_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1_all.deb is what I want? I tried this (from within the mythtv-0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm folder) and here is the result:

mc@media-center:~/mythtv-0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm$ sudo dpkg -i ../mythtv_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1_all.deb
(Reading database ... 77331 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace mythtv 0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1 (using .../mythtv_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement mythtv ...
Setting up mythtv (0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1) ...
mc@media-center:~/mythtv-0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm$

Thats it, took literally 1-2 seconds. Is it installed? I will go and try the actual machine now (been doing this all through ssh), however usually when a new version of myth is installed I get some of the basic options (open up SQL database to outside tc) again. Will post again with updates on my updates...

amphibem
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:28 pm

OK so no go, tried the install from the machine directly got the same result as above:
$ sudo dpkg -i ../mythtv_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1_all.deb
(Reading database ... 77331 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace mythtv 0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1 (using .../mythtv_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement mythtv ...
Setting up mythtv (0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1) ...

Coming back my earlier point about version numbers, do I need to do something here so that the installer will actually see my build as a new version? I had a look through mythbackend setup and mythfrontend; the configuration is still the same and the 1080i channel is still freezing. I think I will also go back to the mythtvnz list and see how to check that skiploopfilter is enabled.

For now, how do I sort out version numbers and reinstall?

bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:33 pm

That _all package is just a 29KB metapackage which depends on the others you've built (but in this case its dependencies are fulfilled by the older, unpatched packages of the same name already installed so it doesn't really do anything). It doesn't actually have anything in it other than text files (FAQ, README, etc.). The modified mythtv binaries are actually split among the various other debs you've built. You'll need to dpkg -i all of the relevant debs. Probably in your case myth-frontend by itself would probably do (since that probably contains the patched GUI display stuff), but I'd install all of them to make sure you have a consistent build.

amphibem
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:05 pm

bitvector wrote:
That _all package is just a 29KB metapackage which depends on the others you've built (but in this case its dependencies are fulfilled by the older, unpatched packages of the same name already installed so it doesn't really do anything). It doesn't actually have anything in it other than text files (FAQ, README, etc.). The modified mythtv binaries are actually split among the various other debs you've built. You'll need to dpkg -i all of the relevant debs. Probably in your case myth-frontend by itself would probably do (since that probably contains the patched GUI display stuff), but I'd install all of them to make sure you have a consistent build.

OK so ran through and installed all of the .deb files, most of them were very quick but the final one (ubuntu-mythtv-frontend_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1_all.deb) came up with errors regarding missing packages. I went through and installed packages, followed instructions to run 'apt-get -f install' to fix an error and it all seem to install in the end (including the ubuntu-mythtv-frontend package I wanted).

Having done that Update Manager said I had four new updates; they were all myth components (libmyth, transcode-utils, frontend, backend). I assume I don't want to apply these otherwise it will overwrite my build with the latest official build?

Anyway I go into mythfrontend and the 1080i channel still freezes. Assuming what I have done means all my updates should be applied, and I shouldn't apply the Update Manager updates, I guess I am done here. I will go back to the list and ask about the change I made and how to check skiploopfilter is applied.

Greatly appreciate all your help, I have definitely learnt a lot!

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:25 am

amphibem wrote:
bitvector wrote:

OK so ran through and installed all of the .deb files, most of them were very quick but the final one (ubuntu-mythtv-frontend_0.21.0+fixes18254+ffmpeg15219+latm-0pk1_all.deb) came up with errors regarding missing packages. I went through and installed packages, followed instructions to run 'apt-get -f install' to fix an error and it all seem to install in the end (including the ubuntu-mythtv-frontend package I wanted).

Having done that Update Manager said I had four new updates; they were all myth components (libmyth, transcode-utils, frontend, backend). I assume I don't want to apply these otherwise it will overwrite my build with the latest official build?

Anyway I go into mythfrontend and the 1080i channel still freezes. Assuming what I have done means all my updates should be applied, and I shouldn't apply the Update Manager updates, I guess I am done here. I will go back to the list and ask about the change I made and how to check skiploopfilter is applied.

Greatly appreciate all your help, I have definitely learnt a lot!

Update Manager wanting to replace those versions is a pretty good sign that your packages installed. PM doesn't see that they're *older*, just 'different from official newest', which in 90% of cases is *older*.

You've installed your modded packages, so if it's still not working, you should double check that your mod was saved and built against, after that you just post that the patch did nothing for you.

Scuse me, I have to go continue banging my head to figure out why radeonhd plus my M54 in 8.10 is getting no DRI. Good luck with your DVB-T.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.