Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Apple's iPhone is true progress

Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:13 pm

I found a picture and I felt inclined to start a flame war by making a thread about it.
Behold: http://www.qdb.hu/files/6814_51.jpg

Discuss.

2_tyma
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: Apple's iPhone is true progress

Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:29 pm

HAHA! epic.
[email protected] ghz|8gb pc8500|Asus Maximus II Formula|150gb Raptor, 640gb WD6400AAKS|Sapphire HD4850x2

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:31 pm

I enjoyed this post. in b4 derFunk :D

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:09 pm

*sigh*

adisor19
Gerbil First Class

Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:16 pm

*sigh*

If you rather use MMS and get raped per message by your GSM provider, go ahead and download a third party app from the appstore.

Same thing for video recording, it's just an app store visit away.

Video call ? Not sure why Apple left that out actually but i've yet to see anyone use that feature on other phones around these parts.

Changeable memory cards ? Now that's just nitpicking when you got 16GB of internal storage.

There, i took the bait before derFunk :)

Adi

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:34 pm

pete_roth wrote:

I dunno, I"m just not horny for iPhone or iPod. I want to stick the new MacBooks in my pants and rub my schlong all over them, but this doesn't get to me. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:36 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
pete_roth wrote:

I dunno, I"m just not horny for iPhone or iPod. I want to stick the new MacBooks in my pants and rub my schlong all over them, but this doesn't get to me. :lol:

My gf just bought a new lappy, for another $300 she could have had a new mac book. She's into macs. Oh and if you buy that one app from the app store it might help you with ... ah nevermind.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:51 pm

axeman wrote:
So your defense is you get the same functionality of other phones by paying extra, when the phone already costs more to begin with. Seriously, you need to BUY AN APP to record videos. That's like hardware vendors charging for drivers.

No it's like MSFT charging for office when they could have just included it with windows.

adisor19
Gerbil First Class

Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:56 pm

tfp wrote:
axeman wrote:
So your defense is you get the same functionality of other phones by paying extra, when the phone already costs more to begin with. Seriously, you need to BUY AN APP to record videos. That's like hardware vendors charging for drivers.

No it's like MSFT charging for office when they could have just included it with windows.

You're both wrong. Did i say you have to BUY an app ? More then 50% of the apps in the app store are FREE.

Adi

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:57 pm

NO YOUR WRONG!

:lol:

[edit]nnaaa, naaah, naaa naaa, naaaaaah[/edit]
Last edited by tfp on Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:58 pm

no, YOU are wrong.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:59 pm

I love the iPhone - I HATE the monthly fees. Maybe this will change someday. Until then my BlackJack2 will have to suffice.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:00 pm

You could get an iPhone with no service then you can have the best of both worlds, the phone and no monthly fees.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:09 pm

tfp wrote:
You could get an iPhone with no service then you can have the best of both worlds, the phone and no monthly fees.

Ack! The irrefutable logic! It hurts!
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite

Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:35 pm

the iphone is the f22 of phones.
:roll:

Alabama_Enigma
Gerbil

Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:43 pm

I wasn't aware that the iPhone had a video recorder app at the app store. I thought that was only available if you jailbreak it and download it off the web.

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:51 pm

No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

ReAp3r-G
Gerbil Elite

Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:29 pm

owned...burned...colon-stomped! lol :lol:

i do have one thing to correct tho...the iPhone CAN do instant messaging unless the guy totally confused me with the double negatives...but oh well 8)
Intel C2Q Q8300 2.5GHz | Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R | 8GB DDR2 800 | MSI ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB | AOpen G325 Aeolus

PSN ID: MentalReaper
Steam ID: dstrb3d

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:58 am

adisor19 wrote:
If you rather use MMS and get raped per message by your GSM provider, go ahead and download a third party app from the appstore.

Video call ? Not sure why Apple left that out actually but i've yet to see anyone use that feature on other phones around these parts.
That basically indicates that Apple is still thinking US first and the rest of the world second. In Europe and Asia MMS are way more popular. Video call is also more viable in those 2 continents because they have better 3/3.5G coverage and the data plan fees are not outrageous (at least now the iphone is managing to bring fees down to saner levels).

adisor19 wrote:
Same thing for video recording, it's just an app store visit away.
Sure there are a lot of free apps in the store, but are they good enough? The one that can do video recording, is that one free?

adisor19 wrote:
Changeable memory cards ? Now that's just nitpicking when you got 16GB of internal storage.
It is never "enough", especially when it comes to power users, but I would not knock it too much about this.

ReAp3r-G wrote:
i do have one thing to correct tho...the iPhone CAN do instant messaging unless the guy totally confused me with the double negatives...but oh well 8)
Instant Messaging is probably referring to IM running in the background like on a computer running AOL/MSN/Live/ICQ/whatever. There was mention about an app that can keep the IM app in the background, but it seems to be removed already?
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

prodigy2k7
Gerbil XP

Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:00 am

The iPhone's plans are LAME. You cant use them with a regular plan, they are more expensive and you get less for what you pay then a regular line.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:04 am

^ AFAICT that's AT&T's fault, not Apple's.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:21 am

derFunkenstein wrote:

How do you know? Perhaps the margins for hardware are so low because of what apple is charging for it, causes ATT to nickel and dime the user more to cover the cost and making it affordable? While ATT gets better prices from other hardware vendors. Would you buy the phone if the service plan was %50 cheaper but the phone cost twice as much to get out the door?

Not saying this is true, but making that claim is ignorant in my opinion. You would have to look at the contracts other hardware vendors give ATT and compare them to Apples.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:12 am

It would be interesting if AT&T did had an option to charge you cheaper monthly fees in exchange for paying more up front for the iPhone.
Maybe by the time the 3rd generation comes other carriers will have them too, and there will be more competition with the data plans, etc.
That's what I hope for anyway.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:26 am

My take on the iPhone...

Plus: Very good user interface.

Minus: High cost, vendor (both Apple and AT&T) lock-in, requirement that you become a lifetime card-carrying member of the Cult of Jobs. (Just kidding about that last one... well sort of.)

Meh. I'll never buy one. The only reasons that Apple is "less evil" than Microsoft are that Apple is better at user interface design, and Microsoft is bigger.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:40 am

You can always unlock and be happy.

Just curious, what phones do you people have?

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:52 am

Samsung BlackJack 2.

JUST bought my wife a dark purple Sony Ericsson z750 to replace her 3 year old pink Motorola SLVR that my daughter decided to remove buttons on. :lol:

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:07 am

tfp wrote:

Or an ipod touch.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:08 am

True but he seemed to want the iphone. I don't pretend to understand...

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:20 am

z-man wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

How do you know? Perhaps the margins for hardware are so low because of what apple is charging for it, causes ATT to nickel and dime the user more to cover the cost and making it affordable? While ATT gets better prices from other hardware vendors. Would you buy the phone if the service plan was %50 cheaper but the phone cost twice as much to get out the door?

Not saying this is true, but making that claim is ignorant in my opinion. You would have to look at the contracts other hardware vendors give ATT and compare them to Apples.

In general Cell companies in the US don't make money on phone hardware they make it on the plan. A number of phones are just given away, that is a straight loss. I'm sure you have seen the upgrade for free deals. That is why they lock people in for a year or 2. This is pretty much universal. If you look in other countries, a number of places in Europe, you'll find the same phones cost more. This is because of the decrease or lack of hardware subsidizing done by the cell carriers. If you did some math you wouldn't even ask if someone would buy the phone if the service was have price but the phone was 2 time current cost. You would make up that difference in what 4 months?

ATT is nickel and diming the user because they can, the iPhone is in demand and people will pay the price. Just like how VZW charges extra for using a phone as a modem even though there are phones which have features that can work around it. VZW specifically asks for those features to be removed. The same goes for IM vs. Texting. This is done on almost every phone sold by a carrier in the US. The carrier uses the phone to get people to use the network its how they make money. They decide how much they want to discount the hardware and how much the service would cost the users. At the end of the day it is up to ATT or the carrier in question.

I don't think someone that doesn't understand cell phone companies should be making any statements about ignorance.
Last edited by tfp on Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:32 am

I really wish we would move to a business model where the provider is only responsible for providing data connectivity, and everything else runs on top of that. No bundling. The current model is a step backwards towards the "bad old days" where you had to lease your landline phone from AT&T, and third-party direct-connect modems and other devices were strictly forbidden.

What if Dell adopted a policy that their computers would only work with Comcast Internet service? Or Comcast forced you to use HP computers? People wouldn't stand for it, and would vote with their pocketbooks.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.