OH.........yeah

From OSX to iPods, iTunes to Mac Minis, and all other things Apple.

Moderators: David, Thresher

Re: OH.........yeah

Postposted on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:17 pm

Well, the XPS 1330 is also a hell of a lot lighter, which matters far more than drive space to me. Still, OS X and all that. :wink: But I thought you could find a similar notebook for ~$600, and it turns out they go for more like $850, so.. *shrug*.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals
SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Postposted on Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:22 am

Looking more at that new LCD on Apple's site, it's occurred to me that this is the Macbook's all-in-one docking station-type thing. It'll charge your laptop (that's what the Magsafe connector is for), connect the display and speakers (I'm not sure if it's a USB audio device or if the Mini Displayport connection also has audio), and act as a USB hub so you can plug your keyboard/mouse into it, as well as any external drives for Time Machine or whatever. For $900 it better be one *fantastic-looking* display, but I can see the utility in it.

I wonder if refreshed iMacs and Mac Pros will have the same mini connector...
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:39 pm

riviera74 wrote:I was just wondering something: why would anyone WANT to have nVidia graphics on a MacBook or MacBook Pro when an ATi/AMD graphics processor tends to have beeter picture quality and a cleaner signal to the LCD? I have heard (from quite a few people at my local Apple store) that an ATi card/chip works better with Mac OSX than nVidia does for that reason (drivers aside).

Since AMD ate ATI, they basically shut down the Intel chipset side of the business. So unless the Macbooks start to use AMD CPUs you will never see an ATI IGP. The new Macbooks use the 9400M which is chipset+graphics so you get some power advantages there.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.
Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Postposted on Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:08 am

Macworld benchmarked the new MacBooks. If Quake 4 (sure, 1024x768, but nearly 40fps that way, and really and truly 5x as fast as the X3100 from before) is any indication, they'll make wonderful WoW boxes and will probably play the only two games I'm really interested in coming up well, too (D3 and SC2).
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Previous

Return to Apple Sanctuary