Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wubi Install

Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:08 pm

Just a couple of questions about Wubi...

I installed Ubuntu 8.10 via Wubi, but it did not give me the choice of which version to install. I'm hoping it installed the 64 bit version. I'm sure there is some way to tell.

But, I have a bigger problem now. I reset my screen resolution to 1920x1080 and when I rebooted, it told me a couple of screen resolutions had "failed" and it then booted me into a CLI. Not the pretty GUI I was expecting at all. I also turned on all the pretties in the screen options, or something like that. Now, I cannot get into anything but a CLI. How can I get back into a GUI with this thing? It's been a long time since I've done CLI, like, back when DOS 3.3 was the bomb. Help!
I wish I had gone to med school.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Wubi Install

Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:02 pm

It will have installed whichever version you downloaded, 32bit or 64bit.

For the graphics not working, probably the first step is to blow away the xorg.conf config file as Ubuntu 8.10 should do pretty well without it. First login with your username and password on the CLI screen and then
sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf
and note that it will ask for your password again. Now restart the login process
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
and see if it works. If it doesn't
more /var/log/Xorg.0.log
and post the contents of that file to this board and we'll try and get you going again.