Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Adding a Radeon 4850

Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:32 pm

I am thinking about adding another Radeon 4850 to my computer. I was going to do this for folding purposes. Is this a wise choice to do now or should I wait or is their another $150 alternative to adding more points quicker. I also know setting up multiple GPU clients is very challenging and does not always work. Let me know what you think.
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Re: Adding a Radeon 4850

Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:52 am

mmmmmdonuts21 wrote:
I am thinking about adding another Radeon 4850 to my computer. I was going to do this for folding purposes. Is this a wise choice to do now or should I wait or is their another $150 alternative to adding more points quicker. I also know setting up multiple GPU clients is very challenging and does not always work. Let me know what you think.

Actually, setting up multiple GPU2 clients is not hard. I have 3 multi-GPU2 setups running smoothly. :P I would be happy to share my expereience with you. :D Are you running Vista or XP?

Adding another 4850 to your computer would give you the potential to set up a crossfire configuration for gaming. Another benefit for sure. :wink:
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:00 pm

I have Vista 64 but right now I am folding in XP compatibility mode because I have been EUEing. As long as this does not affect the ability two run two clients I think I am going to buy another. I love that crossfire is a bonus as well. :D I will ask how to set if up if I have problems. Thanks
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:35 pm

mmmmmdonuts21 wrote:
I have Vista 64 but right now I am folding in XP compatibility mode because I have been EUEing. As long as this does not affect the ability two run two clients I think I am going to buy another. I love that crossfire is a bonus as well. :D I will ask how to set if up if I have problems. Thanks

The big thing in Vista is that you have to have a monitor or a monitor dummy hooked to the second card in order to expand the desktop. :D
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:27 am

I just added another 4850 and I am having problems getting it to work. I created the shortcut and everything but when I click on the shortcut to fold i get an usage error:

Usage: fah6 [option1] [-option2]...

Options: -config Configure user information
-configonly Configure user information, then exit
-help Display this usage screen
-queueinfo Get information on queued work units

This error keeps going. I can type the rest if it would be more useful. Thanks for the help.

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:32 am

Where does your shortcut point to, in terms of 'Target' and 'Start In'? Also, did you configure the client with your name and team?
Fold! And I don't mean your clothes!

Do you have a favorite gerbil recipe? Please share with the TR community!

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:32 pm

The shortcut Target is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu\[email protected]" -gpu1
The start in location is "C:\Users\rappr\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-gpu 2\"

I have one of the clients running right now on my first card without a problem. The second one is where I can't get it to run. How do I get to configure the second card when I can't get it to work?

Thanks

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:39 pm

There should be a space between "-gpu" and "1"; it should read like so, "-gpu 1".

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:11 pm

I managed to get my other Radeon 4850 folding two days ago. Thanks for your help. But my ppd have not seemed to gone up that much. I am roughly averaging the same amount of points (actually about 100 more) than with one card alone. I have a couple of theories about why this is happening and I would like some input.

1) I have a e6750 overclocked to 3.2ghz. Are the two cards possibly CPU limited because there are only two cores? Would a Quad core processor change this at all?
2) Is it possible that when one WU is completed it would automatically reset the other work unit as well?

I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas, because 3000ppd for 1 GPU and 3100ppd for 2 does not make much sense to me.

Thanks

flybywire
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:52 pm

That tells me that the second card is not folding at all. One way to tell is by monitoring before and after core temp of each card; obviously, if the temps rise then they're working. As far as your shortcuts go, does the first one contain the "-gpu 0" switch and the second one the "-gpu 1" switch? Also, make sure that each card has its own machine ID in their respective configurations.