Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

Polare
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Fri Mar 29, 2002 9:08 pm

I'm looking to buy a GF4 4400, but I want a card with 2 VGA-outs (I don't care about TV-out, DVI, S-Video... just VGA). Can anyone point me to such a beast? Every brand I've looked at seems to have the wrong combination of connectors...

Alternatively, is there anywhere I could possibly get a VGA -> DVI adaptor (if it exists)?

-Polare

lenzenm
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Mar 29, 2002 10:55 pm

Do you want to go from a DVI connector on the card to a VGA connector on the monitor cable? Yes, DVI --> VGA connection adapters do exist. So then you could use the VGA, plus the DVI (with the DVI --> VGA adapter) to have two VGA outputs. I have done this with my Radeon 8500 (retail), and while its not an nVidia card, the technique is still applicable. The Visiontek GeForce4 Xtasy 4400 features VGA, S-Video, and DVI. So you would have both a VGA & DVI, and I believe it even comes bundled with the DVI --> VGA adapter.

Polare
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Mar 30, 2002 12:47 am

On 2002-03-29 21:55, lenzenm wrote:
Do you want to go from a DVI connector on the card to a VGA connector on the monitor cable? Yes, DVI --> VGA connection adapters do exist. So then you could use the VGA, plus the DVI (with the DVI --> VGA adapter) to have two VGA outputs. I have done this with my Radeon 8500 (retail), and while its not an nVidia card, the technique is still applicable. The Visiontek GeForce4 Xtasy 4400 features VGA, S-Video, and DVI. So you would have both a VGA & DVI, and I believe it even comes bundled with the DVI --> VGA adapter.

Hooray! Thanks.

-Polare

Dissonance
Gerbil Elite

Sat Mar 30, 2002 1:24 am

Not so fast. Just because a card has a DVI output doesn't mean you can just throw on a DVI-VGA adapter and run an analog monitor. The card itself needs a secondary RAMDAC to be able to run two VGA monitors.

Hercules' 8500LE card is a good example of this: it has DVI and VGA outputs, but only one RAMDAC so a DVI to VGA adapter doesn't work for dual analog monitors.

lenzenm
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Mar 30, 2002 1:41 am

Dissonance:
True enough, but the theVisiontek I mentioned has dual 350MHz RAMDACs. I should have mentioned them when I posted.
However, just because the Visiontek does have dual RAMDACs, does not meant that another company's will. So, read the specs on whichever company's Ti4400 that you're considering, Polare.

Polare
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Mar 30, 2002 10:45 am

OK, thanks for the warning. I had been looking at that though so not to worry :smile: Actually, every GF4 4400 I've looked at so far -- no matter the outputs -- has included 2 RAMDAC's on it.

-Polare

Freon
Gerbil Elite

Sun Mar 31, 2002 9:39 pm

Sigh. I lost my post.

Anyway.

It might be a good idea to double check the specs because DVI connectors can technically support only analog (with adapter), only digital, or both. I would assume a newer card such as a GF4 Ti with native digital support and twinview would support all four possible configurations. (Analog+Analog, Digital+Analog, Analog+Digital, or Digital+Digital)