Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

rogelio
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

iPhone JailBreaking

Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:27 pm

There are some features of Cydia and other non-apple apps that are quite appealing. My question is - if I were to jail-break my phone:

1) How would it affect my current setup/settings - would I have to wipe everything to factory default settings to jailbreak it?
2) If I were to jailbreak my phone and then apple came out with an update (i.e. version 2.3), what would be the process to get the newest 2.3 software and still have my phone jailbroken? Would I have to wipe my iphone to factory settings to apply the update and jailbreak? Does winpwn (or whomever releases windows jailbreaks) allow for updating + jailbreaking without losing data/settings?

I'd love to jailbreak my phone, but if it's going to get wiped every time an update comes out... I'm not sure it's worth the hassle (if that's the case).

adisor19
Gerbil First Class

Re: iPhone JailBreaking

Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:14 pm

Yes and Yes.

Normally a new Pwnage Tool comes out within 1 - 2 days of a fresh firmware release from Apple so the wait period is very small. I don't see what the big problem is with wiping your iPhone every time. I mean, your contacts and music are on your computer and will immediately sync back to the phone upon connection. Same thing goes for your iPhone applications, it takes 1 sync and they're back on the phone.

Allow me to tell you of the biggest advantage of Jailbreaking : It allows your to run "backed up" applications on your phone. You need a little extra thing called "patched mobileinstallation" and you're set. I won't delve into more details as this site is on US soil most likely and as such, the DMCA prevails but a little google search will put you on the right path.

Adi

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:00 am

Umm. You need not wipe to factory settings to jail break.

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:01 am

adisor19 wrote:
Allow me to tell you of the biggest advantage of Jailbreaking : It allows your to run "backed up" applications on your phone. You need a little extra thing called "patched mobileinstallation" and you're set. I won't delve into more details as this site is on US soil most likely and as such, the DMCA prevails but a little google search will put you on the right path.
I actually did not know that. I jail broke only to have Winterboard, Cycorder and various emulators.