Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Must have Mac Software

Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:03 pm

Does anybody know of a way to play .asx streams on OS X? Maybe not the best thread to ask in, but I've tried alot of the media software listed here (VLC, Perian, I even got Windows Media Player 9).
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

riviera74
Gerbil Elite

Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:13 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Does anybody know of a way to play .asx streams on OS X? Maybe not the best thread to ask in, but I've tried alot of the media software listed here (VLC, Perian, I even got Windows Media Player 9).

Try Quicktime Pro. Only $20.....
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:39 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

Looks to me like .asx isn't a media file, but a pointer to media files.
Looking further, .asf seems to be a poorly-supported proprietary format (it's prohibited from being implemented in OSS); if you can't play it in Windows Media Player or VLC odds are you aren't going to make it work on a Mac.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:03 pm

Well I got lucky. I did find that the asx file is a text file, so I popped it open in TextEdit and saw that the one in particular that I cared about was a pointer to a shoutcast server. When I went to that shoutcast server directly, there was a "listen" link that opened by default in iTunes. Now it's a bookmark in Firefox and the .pls file has been associated with VLC in Firefox's preferences. Problem solved. :D
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:25 pm

uTorrent beta. It says "intel" but the type is "Application (Universal)" and it works fine on my MDD dual G4 1GHz.

edit: Well, by "fine" I mean it launches. Per the developers, it doesn't really connect to peers and it doesn't actually download things, but PPC support is coming. The Intel version is supposedly just peachy.

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:34 am

I was thinking of making this post sticky, but I figured some of the information is a bit out of date.

When I have a chance, I'll summarize this in a new post which will become sticky and I can update it regularly.

Other ideas?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:51 am

other suggestions for what, more software (I apparently cant' read English today, not sure what you're asking)?

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:58 pm

Thresher wrote:
I was thinking of making this post sticky, but I figured some of the information is a bit out of date.

When I have a chance, I'll summarize this in a new post which will become sticky and I can update it regularly.

Other ideas?

I guess you could delete this thread, and make a new thread sticky with all of our suggestions (with credits to posters, plz). But then that thread would have to allow new suggestions, which in turn would have to be added to the OP sticky.
2014 21" iMac w Intel Iris Pro

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:36 am

SongBird has now reached 1.0 status. It's not exactly "must-have" nor is it Mac-Exclusive, so if I need to edit this post out I might. I've spent an hour with it so far and the verdict? I'm impressed. At first I scoffed at the idea of "fighting the system" by switching from the platform-integrated all-omnipotent iTunes, but gave in to curiosity.

Pros:

- Has a sturdy web browser built into it. ( a redundant feature, but it works )

- Has Last.fm integration.

- Has this "mashTape" feature that lets you near-instantly see a bevy of user-submitted photos of your artist, where they played at, and includes "bio" information or videos. This is actually pretty cool and even the most Obscure of artist aren't spared (it worked for Studio Pixel :o )

- (supposedly) Works with my 4th gen iPod. (haven't tested this yet, tho)

- Installs easily--detects if you're an iTunes user and at your behest will automatically import your iTunes Library w/out moving or copying the files.

- Has a "mini" view mode that TRULY is small yet vary usable. You can set it right below your menubar (or anywhere, really) and it has all the important controls and information you need. Much better than the default iTunes controller widget in looks, size, and functionality.

- (Last but DEFINITELY not least) Skinnable, customizable UI. And I mean really skinnable, for reals. Not like some half-baked efforts you see for anything outside FF3s default. For those of you bored of the brushed-aluminum/gradient-plastic desert that is OS X, some of these skins (called "feathers") are a real big breath of fresh air.

Cons:

- It automatically imports your iTunes music, but fails to import the album art. Apparently they are working on this, but for those of you like me that are REAL sticklers/completionists, this is nearly a deal breaker. There is no "Get Album Art" cure-all command like in iTunes, either. You have to add all album art manually. If your mp3's already have their album art embedded then they might be spared. Also, there is an add-on that displays the Last.fm album art of the current song, which is a half-fix that depends on whether or not you are connected to the internet.

- Certain hotkeys that I took for granted in iTunes are missing. For example,  + L in iTunes always displays Currently Playing song in the list view--helpful if you need to examine the file that's currently playing. This, and other very important hotkeys are missing. It seems  + i was the only one that survived.

- Speaking of hotkeys, the aforementioned CoverSutra and all it's hotkey-controlling goodness is not compatible with Songbird. This probably doesn't effect most of you but since I paid for CoverSutra, not being able to use it is a downside.

- It does have a "Cover Flow" add-on called "Media Flow" that restores that view mode, but it is slow-w-w-w. Definitely has performance issues over the Real McCoy. This is a minor setback for me since I only sometimes browse by Cover Flow, but is nonetheless missed.

- Sometimes "jitters" when you drag Songbird around. I guess a bird in hand is worth two on the desktop...

Overall? It's good but not *quite* ready for prime-time. This will def be an app I will be watching over time.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:51 am

Must-have Mac software: Boot Camp.

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:18 pm

Meadows wrote:
Must-have Mac software: Boot Camp.

Get out, troll.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:14 pm

Dude, let it go.

He said on the front page that nobody in his family can use his PC, and that his family doesn't ask. So they go to his brother. That means that he still lives at home. In my mind, that puts him still in high school - which kind of fits with his posting methods. I intentionally didn't reply to his "snark", nor will I do so now.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:29 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Dude, let it go.

He said on the front page that nobody in his family can use his PC, and that his family doesn't ask. So they go to his brother. That means that he still lives at home. In my mind, that puts him still in high school - which kind of fits with his posting methods. I intentionally didn't reply to his "snark", nor will I do so now.

You just did, indirectly. I actually don't study anymore, but rather work and gather cash for a big move. That's rather off-topic though, I didn't have much to add to this discussion besides boot camp. :P

Norphy
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:10 pm

I've been using a Mac for nearly a year now and here are a few applications I don't think have been mentioned on here which I like:

Unison - the best binary news reader I've seen so far on OS X
Burn - CD burning application
Cyberduck - FTP Client
Growl - Really cool and well supported system event notification system

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:37 am

How does Burn compare to Toast? I'm still using Toast 8.something (9 is the current) for the stuff I can't use Disk Utility or a Burn Folder with Finder for..

Cyberduck is nice, but I got Yummy FTP on sale during one of those MacHeist things a couple years back.

Norphy
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Dec 08, 2008 3:50 pm

I have no idea how Burn compares to Toast to be honest. It doesn't have any of the multimedia stuff in it (Which to me just seems to replicate functionality in iLife anyway.. meh!) but it burns ISOs and and I found creating disks with it easier than I did with Finder.

That said, the price is right. Toast Platinum is £60/$100 while Burn is free. It does what I want it to do!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:35 am

Just upgraded from Logic Express 7.2 to Logic Express 8. Got the media in the mail yesterday, from B&H. I really liked Logic 7's interface, but it's probably because I have been a user of Logic since version 4 in college. For version 8, Apple totally revamped the interface...all single-window, all the time. I only got an hour or so to fool with it yesterday and since I was up at 3:50am, I got a couple hours this morning as well with it. It seems that Apple included the full EXS24 sampler rather than a playback-only plugin like LE7, and a whole bunch of other stuff that LE7 was missing compared to Logic Pro.

If you need a digital audio workstation, THIS is the app. I've been a Logic evangelist since Emagic owned it, but the interface is just so much more Mac-like. That was expected. Logic 6 was cross-platform, Logic 7 was Apple's way of saying "F You" to Windows with minimal changes, and Logic 8 has been baking probably ever since Logic 7 got a Universal Binary update.

A side note, if you really want the Jam Packs and you really want Logic Express, you should probably buy Logic Studio instead - Studio comes with all the Jam Packs for less than you can buy the Jam Packs separately ($500 for the studio vs. $600 for 6 Jam Packs).

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:28 pm

I've been considering Logic Express 8. It looks really slick. I play the piano and compose a little bit, but I've never gone digital with my music, which is funny because I consider myself a techie. It's looks to have the right set of features and I can handle the price of Logic Express.
Twitter: @xmunos

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:53 pm

Careful, my link was an upgrade link. The full-fledged app is available from Amazon for $159, though, so the price is still nice.

They revamped MIDI step entry so that it works more like Finale, and Finale step entry is *amazing*. Press a number on the numpad that corresponds to a note length, play those notes/chords on your MIDI keyboard and it moves to the next spot in the measure so you can enter another chord of the same length or press another button to change note lengths, lather/rinse/repeat.

It goes very, very fast for me - most of what I'm entering is stuff I've got scribbled out in my Big Book of Staff Paper. Assuming I can actually read what I wrote, I can hammer out a rough draft of what a song should look like in 15-20 minutes, and that's including the fact that I can't play to save my life. You'd think after four semesters of piano in college that I'd have retained some. :-?

I do some original stuff, but lately it's been arrangements. I've got tons and tons of music for a youth choir I direct, but no soundtracks. Rather than be accompanied by piano, I rearrange the accompaniment part for a "band" of some sort, depending on the song and my mood.

Now my only need is to dump (or rather, move) my Yamaha PSR-290 that I'm using for MIDI input and get a small desktop MIDI controller like the Oxygen8 or KeyRig from M-Audio.

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:28 pm

I am locking this thread in favor of one started as a sticky. I want to give some order to this list.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=63624&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a