Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Dposcorp
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: TR Pro Football Pick'Em and Survival Football

Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:33 pm

IAmGhostDog wrote:
Kevin wrote:
We could also change the scoring to drop the lowest scoring week. That would 'fix' those that missed an earlier week. Won't help Corrado though. :lol:

That's not fair to the leader at this point in time.
Example.
Dartboard leads with 106
His lowest week is 9
Takes him to 97
I'm at 102
My lowest is 7
Takes me to 95
I go from down 4 to down 2 with the flick of a switch.

I agree, making these changes now was/is bad.

I have been reading this stuff about changing the rules for a while, and discussing it with my brother.
I gotta say, it was a bad idea to change the rules after the season started.
I don't really care personally, because it is just for fun, and I am only 1 point off of the lead anyway.
(Last week I went 14-2, but didn't mention it because of all this rule change talk....btw, is that the best week for anyone so far or what?)

However, I think that it is a matter of principal that I have to object. Everyone started off equally, with the same rules, and knew what they needed to do. To make changes now which would hurt some and benefit others, takes away from the integrity of the game. It has already, to be honest, with Ian already getting a 2nd chance that others didn't get. Wiping out everyones worst week is the same thing, as someone who may have made picks every week, but had an off week once, gets a mulligan, while those who were pretty consistent all year getting nothing.

I say the same things with the ghost ships/member in the normal leagues, they screw it up for others having fun, but at least the commish isnt logging in making changes to their team. We just needed to leave things as they are, and make a list next year of who WOULD not be allowed to join, or at least make them pay a cash penalty that would go to some prizes or to charity.

This stuff makes it difficult to enjoy playing FF. Only the survivor league was truly fun each and every week.

Kevin
Administrator
Topic Author

Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:30 pm

Only one change was made and it actually benefits everyone in the same way. Everyone has up until the game starts to pick that game. My only regret is that I didn't notice the option earlier.

But as derFunk said, this is the first year and we didn't know some things. But I felt it was worth making the change so if someone forgets about the Thursday game, they don't lose out on the week and then get discouraged from playing the rest of the season. Props to druidcent, FroBozz, PRIME1, and derFunk for continuing to play even though they each have missed at least one week.

Sorry if this makes it less fun for you, but I figured it would be less fun if more people stopped playing.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:42 pm

Kevin wrote:
Only one change was made and it actually benefits everyone in the same way. Everyone has up until the game starts to pick that game. My only regret is that I didn't notice the option earlier.
It doesn't benefit those who previously mucked up a week but accepted that they screwed up and that the rules were the rules, nor does it benefit anyone who makes their picks on time and doesn't change them. I wouldn't necessarily say that everyone benefits.
Kevin wrote:
But as derFunk said, this is the first year and we didn't know some things. But I felt it was worth making the change so if someone forgets about the Thursday game, they don't lose out on the week and then get discouraged from playing the rest of the season. Props to druidcent, FroBozz, PRIME1, and derFunk for continuing to play even though they each have missed at least one week.

Sorry if this makes it less fun for you, but I figured it would be less fun if more people stopped playing.

Obviously it's a bit of a tradeoff either way, and more people wuitting picking would not be good. At the same time, the people you listed above have proved that missing a week doesn't necessarily mean abandoning the game. I probably would have waited until next year to roll out any change to the rules.

druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:35 am

My week was missed while I was on vacation :) so can't really complain.. but I'm agreeing with mattsteg and Dposcorp.. The rules were set so that picks happen before the beginning of the week (for this year)... There's a handy reminder feature, so that I get an email every Wednesday to make sure I set the picks. I would have objected less to the rule (still would have) if the change had been made after this week.

I'm going to keep playing anyway, but it's something to consider when changing the rules...

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:04 pm

I'm not going to make a prediction, but should someone forget sometime during the remainder, they'll be thankful. :p
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

IAmGhostDog
Gerbil Elite

Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:11 am

I'm curious.
With the season winding down.
And a tight race at the top.
Is this where the tie breaker deal comes in?
(at the bottom of your pick screen)
I haven't been doing it.
Should I?

Standings

Rank Pick Set Name Total Points

1 Dartboard FTW 125
2 Evil Overlords 124
2 Captain's Pick-Em 124
2 Frobozz's Better Half 124
5 IAmGhostDog 122
6 Dizik's Picks 121
6 JustGuesses 121
6 DpoSmackTalk 121
9 Stiffie pwns j00 120
9 4th and 26 120
11 Motown Millen Haters 112
12 Dragons 111
12 King of Nill 111
14 BOOOYAAAH! 110
15 Dr. Funkalicious 106
16 PRIME1 102
17 FroBozz's Picks 100
18 Turbochargers 55
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 | XFX R9 390 | Win7 x64
HT Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll w/ Stanton 681EEE MKlll | Klipsch Promedia v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision

IAmGhostDog
Gerbil Elite

Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:22 am

IAmGhostDog wrote:
I'm curious.
With the season winding down.
And a tight race at the top.
Is this where the tie breaker deal comes in?
(at the bottom of your pick screen)
I haven't been doing it.
Should I?

Anyone.
Anyone.
Bueller.
Bueller.
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3 | XFX R9 390 | Win7 x64
HT Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll w/ Stanton 681EEE MKlll | Klipsch Promedia v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision

Kevin
Administrator
Topic Author

Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:00 am

It depends if the tiebreakers count only for the week or for all season. I meant to check the rules a few days ago but forgot.

I've been doing them every week and that's probably why I'm always first in the group with the same number of points.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:54 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3752917

With the Pittsburgh Steelers' 20-13 win over the Dallas Cowboys, a fan who registered himself as Bigsam1122 has reached 25 straight wins in ESPN's Streak For The Cash game.

Pending verification of eligibility, the pick would be worth $1 million.

:o
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

IAmGhostDog
Gerbil Elite

Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:33 am

PRIME1 wrote:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3752917

With the Pittsburgh Steelers' 20-13 win over the Dallas Cowboys, a fan who registered himself as Bigsam1122 has reached 25 straight wins in ESPN's Streak For The Cash game.

Pending verification of eligibility, the pick would be worth $1 million.

:o

Way to go Green Bay

Kevin
Administrator
Topic Author

Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:02 am

Here are the tiebreaker rules for the Pick'Em: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/footba ... es-08.html

Looks like it is per week. So I'd start making those.

In Survival news, I'm still alive. Next week looks real bad though.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:22 pm

Kevin wrote:
Here are the tiebreaker rules for the Pick'Em: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/footba ... es-08.html

Looks like it is per week. So I'd start making those.

In Survival news, I'm still alive. Next week looks real bad though.

I started out making the picks, then I got lazy and quit.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:29 pm

OK, masteregg, it's down to you and me for the Pick'Em title, and it all goes down to the Chargers/Broncos game. If we picked the same team, I win. If we didn't, the game actually means something.

EDIT: Booyeah, we both picked the Chargers, so the title is mine. FroBozz's wife really had a bad week when she could least afford it.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:35 pm

*bangs head on wall* can't believe i forgot to pick again. :(

It was fun, but i need to set myself an alarm for Thursday afternoons so I don't screw this up next year.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:20 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
*bangs head on wall* can't believe i forgot to pick again. :(

It was fun, but i need to set myself an alarm for Thursday afternoons so I don't screw this up next year.

Yeah I forgot the one time, then my desire to keep up kinda diminished after that. Then the Thursday games started.
I'll try harder next year. I AMAZED my wife did so well! :o Researching picks only goes so far is all I can say.