Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: Big powerful, efficient supplies run cooler Y/N?

Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:44 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I've actually toyed half-seriously with the possibility of teaching myself enough about PC PSU design to roll my own. An "if you really want it done right, you've got to do it yourself" sort of deal. I've built a few regulated power supplies in the past, but they've all been relatively low power -- nowhere near the sort of wattage (or number of rails) that a PC PSU requires.

Unfortunately, the prospect of getting it wrong and frying a PC -- or even worse, creating an electrocution hazard -- has prevented me from following through on this idea...

Yeah, the extremes of dealing with insane voltage on one end and insane current on the other are daunting. I wouldn't ever roll my own at 50 watts, let alone 500.

AbRASiON

Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:48 pm

I popped on a new firmware to the ATI card and played about 6 hours of L4D fine yesterday (GPU no longer underclocked either) that being said, I don't know if I'm happy with a PSU this hot.
If it continues to give me trouble, I'll grab an Antec Solo case and some 92mm quiet fans for the front of the case, hopefully combined with the 120mm in the rear it'll be cooler (also they have 'proper' noise shielding stuff on the walls, not foam like my case)

Anyone know if the 120mm in the Solo is quiet at the back?

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:09 pm

My old Antec 550 made a fine footwarmer before it failed just out of warranty.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:20 am

I will be too uncomfortable to continue using that hot PSU. I will at least get it checked out. The problem is by the time you know you want a replacement it may be too late and the unit may have already taken some other components down with it. It can cost you more later if you delay addressing this.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

SuperSpy
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:52 am

just brew it! wrote:
Anyone have any experiences with PCP&C since they got bought out by OCZ? Are they still top-notch?

I still spec PCP&C units for all the machines I build for work, and have never had any problems with any of them. I haven't seen any change in the units since OCZ bought them.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560