Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Apple's last MacWorld and no Jobs Keynote

Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:18 pm

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/12/16macworld.html
Apple® today announced that this year is the last year the company will exhibit at Macworld Expo. Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing, will deliver the opening keynote for this year’s Macworld Conference & Expo,

?
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Apple's last MacWorld and no Jobs Keynote

Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:57 pm

Next year it won't be MacWorld, it'll be AppleWorld. Dedicated to iPods, iPhones, and...hmmm...I'm forgetting something. Macs? Maybe.

Ever since the Intel transition completed in late 2006, MacWorld has been less important to Apple. It used to be, with two MacWorld conferences (January in SF and late spring/summer in NY) all of Apple's big hardware releases were done there. Lots of awesome memories for people who have been devoted to the platform far longer than I have.

The big whirlwind rumor is OHNOES JOBS IS DYEING, which I don't think is the case (though when he introduced the new MacBooks in October, he was super thin).

I just think that the conference is not a big deal to Apple anymore. They'll still have WWDC for their dev conference, but this show (product marketplace, more or less) has basically been replaced by the internet.

edit: I *do* think that Schiller's increased stage time is prepping him to be the new face of Apple.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:08 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Ever since the Intel transition completed in late 2006, MacWorld has been less important to Apple. It used to be, with two MacWorld conferences (January in SF and late spring/summer in NY) all of Apple's big hardware releases were done there.

This is especially true since Intel publicizes its upcoming architectures, while when Apple ran PowerPC stuff they were often the first to unveil new processors and could time every product release perfectly -- these days with public-knowledge machine bases and commodity items (iPod and iPhone) they can't really afford to release everything at set six- or twelve-month intervals.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:36 pm

CNBC seems to agree with us:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/28265938

I can tell you that sources inside the company tell me that Jobs' decision was more about politics than his pancreas. Sources tell me that if Jobs for some reason was unable to perform any of his responsibilities as CEO because of health reasons, which would include the Macworld keynote, I should "rest assured that the board would let me know."
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:40 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I just think that the conference is not a big deal to Apple anymore. They'll still have WWDC for their dev conference, but this show (product marketplace, more or less) has basically been replaced by the internet.
This is the key point. Comdex is gone. E3 is gone. Tradeshows have gone the same place the daily newspaper is headed. There's still a place for narrowly-focused events where the key people can mix face to face, but the broad reach goes on the internet. Most people who've seen a keynote have seen it as online video anyway.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:00 am

I want a Macnetbook.....:P

/*Flash* and the thread-jack ninja is gone
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Samlind
Gerbil

Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:58 am

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:02 pm

Gizmodo called. They said "Bye".

I hope it's not true, but the dude is rail-thin. I don't care if he retires from Apple, I just want to live in a world where nobody has to die.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:18 am

I am scratching my head at this one; As successful as Apple has been in recent years why are investors skiddish when it comes to Jobs and Apple? I mean if Jobs passed away today it doesnt mean that Apple will fail.....immediately.

I think Jobs has done an outstanding job at leading Apple and showing them to think out side of the box to come up with innovative items.

Hell look at their Market penetration for laptops.....I feel that they could drop the bomb here and if they released a $300-$400 laptop Apple would rule the roost. 8)
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Master Kenobi
Gerbil First Class

Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:23 am

There's no way they could release a cheap macbook for less than $500. That would have no margins, and given the very small macbook and mac desktop markets, they need the margins to make it a profitable venture. No, Apple these days is more about the ipod/iphone than Mac's, just look at their financials to see that.
i7-6700k @ 4.00GHz | Gigabyte Gaming-5 | GTX 980 4GB | 4x8 (32GB) DDR4-2400 Corsair Vengeance LPX | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD | 1x 3TB WD Green HDD

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:31 am

Master Kenobi wrote:
There's no way they could release a cheap macbook for less than $500.

And you know this how? Its entirely possible. Hell the hardpart is practically done....its called the iPhone.

Master Kenobi wrote:
No, Apple these days is more about the ipod/iphone than Mac's, just look at their financials to see that.

Their financials show they get more from iPod/iPhone then Mac's. But what their financial's DONT show is the market penetration that their Macbook line has been doing for the past five years, practically doubling every year.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:56 am

Well mostly because they say they "can't". Jobs said as much as the Macbook event.

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:02 am

Something to keep in mind: MacWorld is not owned or run by Apple. They don't have a lot of control over when it occurs, who attends, etc. This set up was fine when Apple was struggling, it was cheap publicity, but Apple is a financially strong company. There is no reason for them to be subject to the whims of another company when it comes to their marketing message. From a marketing perspective, this makes no sense. For one thing, it's preaching to the choir. Well, the choir is now large enough to make Apple a lot of money. Now they need to expand their message beyond that core market.

Additionally, this gives them the flexibility to announce products throughout the year, which is more typical of the industry. They can respond immediately to competitor's announcements with their own product announcements. They can monopolize tech news for a day or so with a new product announcement, and do it on their time line.

To me, this makes sense. As for Jobs, well, I hope he's okay. I've always said he's the best and the worst thing Apple has going for it. I think he has unnecessarily kept Apple from adopting features and products that would broaden the company's appeal. There SHOULD be a headless, upgradeable Mac slotted below the Mac Pro. They SHOULD use nearly off the shelf video cards. They SHOULD have replaceable batteries on their electronics. There SHOULD be a firewire port, an Express Card slot, and a standard DVI port on the MacBook. These are all design decisions made at the top for no other reason than "Jobs said so". I cannot afford a Macbook Pro right now and a Macbook doesn't fit the bill because of some arbitrary design decisions made in Steve Jobs office, so I wound up getting an HP laptop that has all of that and still cost less than the Macbook. WTF?

I am looking forward to the day when it's Schiller and Ive running the show. I think Schiller is much more pragmatic and as long as Ive is running design, I think the company will remain in good shape.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:24 am

I think Thresher might be onto something. I still long for the day that they don't necessarily release the $1500 tower that Apple had in its lineup from 1998 all the way through 2003. And prior to that, they'd had sub-$2000 (significantly sub-$2000, like $1799 and lower) Power Macintoshes (read: expandable boxes, not necessarily towers) going all the way back to the PowerMac 6100*. It was only when Apple killed the $1299 single-CPU 1.25GHz G4 in June of 2004 that all Power Mac prices were $1999 on up. So apparently they were successful before, as Apple's marketshare and profitability had been steadily increasing pretty much since 1998.

But you gotta remember, Jobs was the guy who in 1982, 1983 said the "Macintosh" (still a codename at that point) had to be an appliance with no expandability and it wasn't until he was summarily tossed out of the company in 1985 that they could even start designing expandable machines like the Mac Plus.

*I'd like to thank MacTracker for the pricing information.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:55 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
I just want to live in a world where nobody has to die.

Millions of World of Warcraft players are doing that already. I urge you to join them.

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:09 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I think Thresher might be onto something. I still long for the day that they don't necessarily release the $1500 tower that Apple had in its lineup from 1998 all the way through 2003. And prior to that, they'd had sub-$2000 (significantly sub-$2000, like $1799 and lower) Power Macintoshes (read: expandable boxes, not necessarily towers) going all the way back to the PowerMac 6100*. It was only when Apple killed the $1299 single-CPU 1.25GHz G4 in June of 2004 that all Power Mac prices were $1999 on up. So apparently they were successful before, as Apple's marketshare and profitability had been steadily increasing pretty much since 1998.

But you gotta remember, Jobs was the guy who in 1982, 1983 said the "Macintosh" (still a codename at that point) had to be an appliance with no expandability and it wasn't until he was summarily tossed out of the company in 1985 that they could even start designing expandable machines like the Mac Plus.

*I'd like to thank MacTracker for the pricing information.

This is similar to our discussion on the Macbook and Firewire. Again, it's just something Jobs insists on with no real reasoning. While I applaud Jobs for turning the company into a money maker, at the same time, I've seen too many of these things where he has unneccesarily hamstrung the company. He comes out with some kick ass products, but then leaves gaping holes in his product line. He comes out with products that include some things that others don't, but then at the same time doesn't include something that is standard on the competition.

Apple is truly Jobs company. It is a living avatar for his id. Sometimes his id is creatively brilliant. Other times it's petty, childlish, and capricious. He did rescue the company, but if you really look at what was causing their problems back then, it was Jobs insistance on hiring somebody who had no understanding of computers and the leadership had no grasp of the competition that IBM would unleash. By the time they got rid of Jobs, then John Sculley, it was nip and tuck whether Apple would survive at all.

I guess I'm in a bit of a funk about Apple right now, but they really have no computers in my present budget that are worth buying. And yet the competition has a multiplicity of competing models priced very attractively. The only things they miss are OS X and Apple's build quality. But even that's tenuous, HP, Lenovo, and Sony all have models that are close to the same level of build quality, although they still miss out on OS X.

With current market conditions, I do not see 2009 as a good year for Apple's computer products. They are in the wrong segments. They are doing the right things with the iPod and its universe, but they are asleep at the wheel with the computer lineup. I suspect that the iMac will limp along fine, but the Mac Pro is going to stop growing market share and will probably retreat. I don't see a lot of good things happening for the Mac Book Pro. At all. The Mac Book may suffer in comparison to other manufacturers because of the price/value quotient. While beautiful, it just isn't a great value. I would not be surprised at all to see the entire MacBook/MacBook Pro lineup have a bad year. Don't even get me started on Apple Cinema Displays.

Ah well, I hope I'm wrong and that Apple has products in the works that will fill the gaps I see in their lineup.

(BTW, I have a marketing degree, so I am not entirely pulling this out of my, er, rear-end. It doesn't make me an expert, but I think these holes are obvious to anyone with a bit of marketing experience).

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:34 pm

Thresher wrote:
This is similar to our discussion on the Macbook and Firewire. Again, it's just something Jobs insists on with no real reasoning. While I applaud Jobs for turning the company into a money maker, at the same time, I've seen too many of these things where he has unneccesarily hamstrung the company. He comes out with some kick ass products, but then leaves gaping holes in his product line. He comes out with products that include some things that others don't, but then at the same time doesn't include something that is standard on the competition.

As a company, Apple doesn't give a **** about your lost business if the business they DO get makes them more money because of the product holes. They get a lot of people stepping up from the Macbook to the Macbook Pro because they just need one of the things the MBP has that the Macbook doesn't -- and that results in much more money coming in to the company.
Yes, the features are in many ways arbitrary. But they're not completely so -- the features Apple leaves off are almost always features that appeal to a significant-but-small group of users, most of whom will buy the more expensive product in order to get that feature.

With current market conditions, I do not see 2009 as a good year for Apple's computer products. They are in the wrong segments. They are doing the right things with the iPod and its universe, but they are asleep at the wheel with the computer lineup. I suspect that the iMac will limp along fine, but the Mac Pro is going to stop growing market share and will probably retreat. I don't see a lot of good things happening for the Mac Book Pro. At all. The Mac Book may suffer in comparison to other manufacturers because of the price/value quotient. While beautiful, it just isn't a great value. I would not be surprised at all to see the entire MacBook/MacBook Pro lineup have a bad year. Don't even get me started on Apple Cinema Displays.

Don't count on it. Apple sells to professionals and rich consumers/students. The rich consumers might delay their computer upgrades, but the students and professionals will keep buying at the same rate they always do. And since the economy is crap, Apple will probably be getting parts for a lot less than is normal.
It's only anecdotal, but in my CS class of ~30 people I already know 2 people with a new Macbook Pro and 1 with a new Macbook, plus 1 or 2 faculty members expecting to have new Pros this year.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:40 pm

Thresher wrote:

Ah well, I hope I'm wrong and that Apple has products in the works that will fill the gaps I see in their lineup.

I cant say I don't disagree with you. Obviously my purchase of a MacBook Pro was a luxury expense (of which I saved a whole year for). My wife who wants a MacBook of some kind salivates at them but is not willing to chunk down the money for one. Now she has eyes on the likes of a netbook ala Asus Eee. And I look at them and say why doesnt Apple take that idea/ footprint and make it better!?

Oh and as for the Cina Displays.....*DROOL* but they are way out of me league. Heck you can get a 50"+ HDTV and more for the price of one of those.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:56 pm

SNM wrote:
As a company, Apple doesn't give a **** about your lost business if the business they DO get makes them more money because of the product holes. They get a lot of people stepping up from the Macbook to the Macbook Pro because they just need one of the things the MBP has that the Macbook doesn't -- and that results in much more money coming in to the company.
Yes, the features are in many ways arbitrary. But they're not completely so -- the features Apple leaves off are almost always features that appeal to a significant-but-small group of users, most of whom will buy the more expensive product in order to get that feature.

How long do you think they can think that way until they hit a brick wall in terms of market share? At some point, there will be resistance and with the economy such as it is, I suspect that that point of resistance will be earlier than it would have been prior to the market collapse. If people cannot afford $2500 for a laptop that has all the stuff that they need, and yet Sony is offering everything they need at $1800, with few sacrifices, then which way does a more price sensitive person go? Now that the economy is in the crapper, we're ALL more price sensitive. Right now, $2500 is either a business expense or a luxury. For those who need a tool, but can't expense it, the Sony laptops start making a lot of sense.

Apple's product line up reflects their premium product roots. Premium goods like this suffer during down markets and this one is worse than anything we've seen since the Great Depression.

SNM wrote:
Don't count on it. Apple sells to professionals and rich consumers/students. The rich consumers might delay their computer upgrades, but the students and professionals will keep buying at the same rate they always do. And since the economy is crap, Apple will probably be getting parts for a lot less than is normal.
It's only anecdotal, but in my CS class of ~30 people I already know 2 people with a new Macbook Pro and 1 with a new Macbook, plus 1 or 2 faculty members expecting to have new Pros this year.

So, who's rich now? The people that just had all their home equity wiped out? The guy who's 401k just took a nose dive into the dumpster? How about the people, like me, who's power bills have doubled in a little over a year and up until recently, was paying 3 times as much for gasoline? Even Professionals are having to scale back purchases because NO ONE IS BUYING ANYTHING. If sales are dropping across the economy, and there is no reason to suspect they've hit bottom yet, then who in their right mind is going to spend premium dollars on a laptop or workstation?

I realize Apple products are generally competitive when priced with the same equipment, but that's not the issue here. Apple's products are all bunched up at the high end of their respective markets. They do not have computers at the price point/feature point that will be in demand in this economy. I agree that they don't want to be all things to all people, but if they are not even in the ballgame, they will lose market share, it's just that simple.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:12 pm

This is similar to our discussion on the Macbook and Firewire.

Almost. Here, we agree. It's a market segment that they're blissfully ignoring and we all think it sucks. :p

ESPECIALLY the living id aspect of Apple's current existence. You seem to think Schiller and Ive will make a difference when Jobs steps down. I dunno...there's a reason they were chosen and more importantly there's a reason they're still there.

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:12 pm

Thresher wrote:
How long do you think they can think that way until they hit a brick wall in terms of market share?

Why on earth does that matter? A 3% market share is uncomfortably low, but once you reach ~10% it's nice to grow but hardly necessary. Some companies try to increase profits by becoming gigantic all-encompassing entities, but Apple has repeatedly shown that it has no desire to do that. They're a low-volume high-margin outfit and they're gonna stay that way.
At some point, there will be resistance and with the economy such as it is, I suspect that that point of resistance will be earlier than it would have been prior to the market collapse. If people cannot afford $2500 for a laptop that has all the stuff that they need, and yet Sony is offering everything they need at $1800, with few sacrifices, then which way does a more price sensitive person go? Now that the economy is in the crapper, we're ALL more price sensitive. Right now, $2500 is either a business expense or a luxury. For those who need a tool, but can't expense it, the Sony laptops start making a lot of sense.

Apple's product line up reflects their premium product roots. Premium goods like this suffer during down markets and this one is worse than anything we've seen since the Great Depression.

I realize Apple products are generally competitive when priced with the same equipment, but that's not the issue here. Apple's products are all bunched up at the high end of their respective markets. They do not have computers at the price point/feature point that will be in demand in this economy. I agree that they don't want to be all things to all people, but if they are not even in the ballgame, they will lose market share, it's just that simple.

Judging by Apple's widely-reported success at Amazon over the holiday buying season, this does not seem to be the case. *shrug*

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:13 am

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:23 am

derFunkenstein wrote:

Oh my, he's not dead! "Sophisticated blood tests". Hmm.

Thresher
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:41 am

Where does one apply to get this problem? I need to lose some serious pounds and this sounds like a winner...

BTW, isn't Jobs into the whole macrobiotic, vegan thing?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:46 am

Yeah, he's one of the more militant vegans in a position of power that I can think of. Maybe that means our Hardee's-eating bodies are just fine. :p

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:13 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Yeah, he's one of the more militant vegans in a position of power that I can think of. Maybe that means our Hardee's-eating bodies are just fine. :p

Double-post, I know, but I want to prove how wrong I was:

If you believe ZDNet he's a Pescetarian which means he can eat fish and invertibrate sea critters but not cows or other meats. No legs, no wings.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:17 pm

That's some of the silliest stuff. What about eggs, no legs or wings yet. (edit seems to be optional, convenient)

I wonder how someone picks rules like that.

I guess sea food is just asking for it:
Differentiating seafood from other animal food sources

Pescetarians may believe that seafood is more acceptable to consume while killing land-dwelling animals is less acceptable. Generally these arguments fall into two categories: the belief that the ethics of slaughtering and consuming animals fall into a spectrum -- from microbe, to cockroach, and so on, until Chimp and Neanderthal -- putting more primitive (non-mammalian) sea creatures nearer the beginning of the spectrum; or that the environmental impact of farming sea-dwelling creatures is smaller. Some Pescetarians may feel that eating "wild caught" seafood is more ethical than eating other types of meat because "wild caught" sea creatures are not confined to cages for the majority of their lives, which is standard practice in land-animal factory farms.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:27 pm

People with arbitrary, new-age diets are consistently the most unhealthy people I know. It's difficult enough for people to heat healthfully with a normal diet that it's a bit too difficult for others, I guess. Anyway, with the amount of money that Jobs has, if there's a way to be healthy while maintaining his exotic diet, I'm sure he'll find it and be okay.

Back on topic, this thread still reminds me of how there are no real computer expos in NYC. MacWorld was the closest to a real computer expo we got here.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:31 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
If you believe ZDNet he's a Pescetarian which means he can eat fish and invertibrate sea critters but not cows or other meats. No legs, no wings.

Best type to be, if you ask me.
Finally there's something I have in common with Mega Jobs, right-hand man of Captain Planet.

FireGryphon wrote:
People with arbitrary, new-age diets are consistently the most unhealthy people I know. It's difficult enough for people to heat healthfully with a normal diet that it's a bit too difficult for others, I guess.

Now that you mentioned it, I'd like to add that I'm the most healthy member of my family, probably catching a cold once a year or something. My weight is stable, I don't suffer from exhaustion, malaise, hunger or weakness, and my mood is generally fine too. I agree that a lot of people jump headfirst into this business and (especially without knowledge of nutrients, or at least wikipedia) they tend to misfeed themselves and end up at a doctor sooner or later, then they proceed to exclaim how much the said diet sucks when they were just doing it wrong.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:54 pm

Stupidest thing I ever heard.

So what about Walking Fish
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walking_fish

or Flying Fish
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_fish

If you find a deer that's as stupid as a fish can you eat Venison because it's not from a farm.

Either you eat meat or you don't eat meat. Anything else is just fooling yourself.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark