Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

hoot504
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

ATX12V Keyed Incorrectly?

Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:28 pm

Just got my power supply, mobo, vid card today; still waiting on the rest of the parts. Anyway, I was examining my psu, which is a corsair tx750. As I'm examining the 8-pin ATX12V connector, I realize it is keyed differently than how it is displayed in my mobo and psu manual.

This may be difficult to comprehend unless you are familiar with these cables, but I'll do my best. The 8 pins in the connection come in two different shapes, square and hexagonal. The picture provided in my manuals show that it should look like this...

[Hex][Square][Square][Hex] <----- Top Row
[Square][Hex][Hex][Square]

But the only 8-pin connector provided with my psu looks like this...

[Hex][Square][Hex][Hex] <------ Top Row
[Square][Hex][Hex][Hex]

I'm quite confused about this, I highly doubt it is keyed incorrectly, as it seems like this would be a major manufacturing error. I know this connection is not the pci-express connection, as my psu doesn't come with a solid 8 pin pci connection. So if anyone could enlighten me, thanks...

eric93se
Graphmaster Gerbil
Location: Home of the most reprehensible false flag attack in the world.

Re: ATX12V Keyed Incorrectly?

Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:43 pm

I think you might be looking at the 8pin video card connector and not the 8pin MB connector :D
I'm sure many people have managed to force that crappy design into the wrong hole.
Increase your half open TCIP connections with the Half-open.com utility.

FuturePastNow
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:03 pm

Well... this is what an 8-pin PCIe connector looks like: http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#pciexpress8

While on the same page, we have an EPS connector: http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html#eps8

Is it wired correctly? Black is always ground, the other color (usually yellow) is 12V.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:23 pm

hoot504 wrote:
Just got my power supply, mobo, vid card today; still waiting on the rest of the parts. Anyway, I was examining my psu, which is a corsair tx750. As I'm examining the 8-pin ATX12V connector, I realize it is keyed differently than how it is displayed in my mobo and psu manual.

This may be difficult to comprehend unless you are familiar with these cables, but I'll do my best. The 8 pins in the connection come in two different shapes, square and hexagonal. The picture provided in my manuals show that it should look like this...

[Hex][Square][Square][Hex] <----- Top Row
[Square][Hex][Hex][Square]

But the only 8-pin connector provided with my psu looks like this...

[Hex][Square][Hex][Hex] <------ Top Row
[Square][Hex][Hex][Hex]

I'm quite confused about this, I highly doubt it is keyed incorrectly, as it seems like this would be a major manufacturing error. I know this connection is not the pci-express connection, as my psu doesn't come with a solid 8 pin pci connection. So if anyone could enlighten me, thanks...

The manuals are wrong. Look at the ATX+12V socket on your mobo and I'll all but guarantee it matches the pin shapes of the plug. The 8-pin plug started out life as a 4-pin plug in the HS over SH configuration. When it went to 8 pins the other 4 were all hex, but the manual publishers cheaped out on their graphics and just flipped the 4-pin picture over to create the 8-pin picture. My own Abit IP35Pro manual has the faulty pic in the manual, but the cable slotted home with no issues.

This is nothing more than Taiwanese manufacturers saving a penny per manual and unnecessarily agitating the gerbils.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.