Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: College football or bust!

Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:34 pm

Notre Dame always gets preferential treatment. They're still a terrible team.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:36 pm

Pettytheft wrote:
How on earth Ohio State deserves to play Texas this year is beyond me.

Indeed. Boise St. would have been a much more deserving team..
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:41 pm

Watching OU play for the BCS title lately is like watching Buffalo play in the Super Bowl ala early 90's.The rest of the games seem as appealing as a ice pick to the eyes.I would have really liked to see Utah play Boise St.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:23 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:

Yeah they may as well give the Detroit Lions a wild card spot. They sucked far too much to get a bowl game.

I think Penn State will do well against USC, although Ohio State will get a new hole drilled by Texas.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm

PRIME1 wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:

Yeah they may as well give the Detroit Lions a wild card spot. They sucked far too much to get a bowl game.

I think Penn State will do well against USC, although Ohio State will get a new hole drilled by Texas.

hmm I almost think the opposite. .... IF Texas doesnt get over the disappointment of not making the national championship, they could underprepare and play sloppy. I dont really expect that to happen either.. but I expect USC will also dominate Penn St.

I expect Texas to trounce Ohio St, for the record. .. just saying that I'd think it more likely for Texas to have a let-down then for USC to have one.
I suppose it is hard to tell how good USC really is though..

It's also a little hard to tell how good the Big 12 South really is.. so, in that regard the bowl games will be a little fun just to see if it was all a facade or if they're really as good as they seemed.

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:15 am

danny e. wrote:
PRIME1 wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:

hmm I almost think the opposite. .... IF Texas doesnt get over the disappointment of not making the national championship, they could underprepare and play sloppy. I dont really expect that to happen either.. but I expect USC will also dominate Penn St.

I expect Texas to trounce Ohio St, for the record. .. just saying that I'd think it more likely for Texas to have a let-down then for USC to have one.
I suppose it is hard to tell how good USC really is though..

It's also a little hard to tell how good the Big 12 South really is.. so, in that regard the bowl games will be a little fun just to see if it was all a facade or if they're really as good as they seemed.

Please continue to **** talk OSU so that when we kick the crap out of Texas we all win a ton of money in betting ;)
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:41 pm

CampinCarl wrote:

Please continue to **** talk OSU so that when we kick the crap out of Texas we all win a ton of money in betting ;)

you honestly think OSU has a chance? If Texas doesnt win by 21 points or more, I'll figure it was because they were unprepared and hadn't gotten over the national championship oversight. .. basically I think even if Texas has a let down they will still win.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:56 pm

CampinCarl wrote:

I'm a Michigan fan so I can't talk any shizzle this year. Although I can still say that Texas will toast Lowhio.

I would even bet money on it, if my luck at gambling were not so very, very terrible.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:28 pm

Pettytheft wrote:
OK will lose another big game like they always do.
Since the 2000 season, OU is 4-4 in bowl games. I wouldn't exactly use that as a reason to say they'll "lose another big game like they always do."
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

themattman
Gerbil Elite

Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:34 pm

Will there be a TR College Bowl Game Pool this year on yahoo?
|Intel Q9450 @3.6 1.425v|Lapped TRUE|Gigabyte EP45-UD3P|Mushkin & Patriot 2x2gb DDR2-900|EVGA 8800 GTS 512 750/1873/1000|Antec 900|Corsair 520HX|Asus Xonar DX|
13895 3DMarks

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:55 am

themattman wrote:
Will there be a TR College Bowl Game Pool this year on yahoo?

Yahoo has such a thing? I'm in.

themattman
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:21 pm

Would anyone else be interested in joining a college bowl league? Am I "allowed" to create a TR fantasy league?
|Intel Q9450 @3.6 1.425v|Lapped TRUE|Gigabyte EP45-UD3P|Mushkin & Patriot 2x2gb DDR2-900|EVGA 8800 GTS 512 750/1873/1000|Antec 900|Corsair 520HX|Asus Xonar DX|
13895 3DMarks

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:51 pm

themattman wrote:
Would anyone else be interested in joining a college bowl league? Am I "allowed" to create a TR fantasy league?

Please do. I am in as well
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

themattman
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:55 am

League set up. PM me for the league # and password.
13895 3DMarks

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:01 am

themattman wrote:
League set up. PM me for the league # and password.

Start an "official" thread and maybe have Stiffie sticky it.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:42 pm

It's likely that a Texas fan wrote:
BCS DECLARES GERMANY WINNER OF WORLD WAR II
US Ranked 4th

After determining the Big-12 championship game participants the BCS computers were put to work on other major contests and today the BCS declared Germany to be the winner of World War II.

"Germany put together an incredible number of victories beginning with the annexation of Austria and the Sudetenland and continuing on into conference play with defeats of Poland, France, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium and the Netherlands. Their only losses came against the US and Russia; however considering their entire body of work--including an incredibly tough Strength of Schedule--our computers deemed them worthy of the #1 ranking."

Questioned about the #4 ranking of the United States, the BCS commissioner stated "The US only had two major victories--Japan and Germany. The computer models, unlike humans, aren't influenced by head-to-head contests--they consider each contest to be only a single, equally-weighted event."

German Chancellor Adolph Hiter said "Yes, we lost to the US; but we defeated #2 ranked France in only 6 weeks." Herr Hitler has been criticized for seeking dramatic victories to earn 'style points' to enhance Germany's rankings. Hitler protested "Our contest with Poland was in doubt until the final day and the conditions in Norway were incredibly challenging and demanded the application of additional forces."

The French ranking has also come under scrutiny. The BCS commented "France had a single loss against Germany and following a preseason #1 ranking they only fell to #2."

Japan was ranked #3 with victories including Manchuria, Borneo and the Philippines.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:30 pm

yes, nothing says "big game" like the Doobie Brothers playing the halftime show

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:46 pm

idchafee wrote:
yes, nothing says "big game" like the Doobie Brothers playing the halftime show

30 years ago maybe.

SnowboardingTobi
Gerbil Team Leader
Location: in your house, on the toilet, reading the newspaper

Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:50 am

Just got home from the Rose Bowl and doing a bit of partying in old town Pasadena. Fun game to watch (it helps when your school wins hehe). To any PSU alumni/fans that might be reading this... you guys have a great fan base that came out to the game. Of the number of them I met and talked with before, during, and after the game -- they were all cool kats to drink a beer with.

Fight On, Trojans!!! Sept can't come soon enough.
///_-)

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:59 pm

The Rose Bowl was pathetic. :evil:

So is the Big 10. :x :cry:

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:40 pm

danny e. wrote:
this is possibly going to be one of the worst bowl seasons ever.
Oklahoma vs Florida - this one ain't so bad.
USC vs Penn St. - crazy. no one in the big 10 deserves any bowl game. they all suck.
Texas Tech vs Mississippi - uhh Mississippi is improving but not enough.
Texas vs Ohio St. - Ohio St. is worse than Penn St. and they're playing the 2nd or 3rd best team in the country?!??! hahaha
Alabama vs Utah - yes, I've said Alabama was overrated, but they're better than Utah.

hmmm TT got exposed more. should have seen that based on what Nebraska did to them.
Utah is looking good so far also.. I'd love to see them take down the overrated Alabama however it's still early.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:07 am

danny e. wrote:
danny e. wrote:
this is possibly going to be one of the worst bowl seasons ever.
Oklahoma vs Florida - this one ain't so bad.
USC vs Penn St. - crazy. no one in the big 10 deserves any bowl game. they all suck.
Texas Tech vs Mississippi - uhh Mississippi is improving but not enough.
Texas vs Ohio St. - Ohio St. is worse than Penn St. and they're playing the 2nd or 3rd best team in the country?!??! hahaha
Alabama vs Utah - yes, I've said Alabama was overrated, but they're better than Utah.

hmmm TT got exposed more. should have seen that based on what Nebraska did to them.
Utah is looking good so far also.. I'd love to see them take down the overrated Alabama however it's still early.

so, I'm 1 out of 3. :)
maybe the bowl games don't suck as much as i thought.

Utah has an arguement now.. moreso than Texas. Utah beat Alabama more soundly than did Florida.
A playoff is needed.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:32 am

Nick Saban's bug just hit Utah's windshield. Doesn't help the SEC live up to its self-generated hype, does it?
danny e. wrote:
Utah has an arguement now.. moreso than Texas. Utah beat Alabama more soundly than did Florida.
A playoff is needed.
I wish people would stop hanging their hopes on a playoff like it would actually resolve anything. The BCS sucks, but they should just go back to the old system. You realize if there had been a playoff this year Utah wouldn't even be in it?

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:38 am

UberGerbil wrote:
Nick Saban's bug just hit Utah's windshield. Doesn't help the SEC live up to its self-generated hype, does it?
danny e. wrote:
A playoff is needed.
I wish people would stop hanging their hopes on a playoff like it would actually resolve anything. The BCS sucks, but they should just go back to the old system. You realize if there had been a playoff this year Utah wouldn't even be in it?

it would solve a ton of things.
the "old way" sucked ass moreso than what we have now.

and Utah was ranked 6th, so they would be in a playoff.

what is much more annoying are those who think it should be Big 10 vs Pac 10 in the Rose bowl all the time.
why? who gives a crap about them when they suck ass? USC is ok this year.. but no one in the Big 10 was any good.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:43 am

danny e. wrote:
what is much more annoying are those who think it should be Big 10 vs Pac 10 in the Rose bowl all the time.

Heathen. That is the very definition of the Rose Bowl.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:20 am

danny e. wrote:
and Utah was ranked 6th, so they would be in a playoff.
No, they wouldn't.

The conferences control the bowls (the Rose Bowl is effectively owned by the Pac-10 and the Big 10). All six of the BCS conferences want a piece of that bowl money, so each would want a team in the playoffs. If you're sticking to an 8 team playoff as many have suggested, that means there are only two at-large seeds. This year the playoff teams would be:
Big 10 champ: Penn State
Pac 10 champ: USC
Big 12 champ: Oklahoma
ACC champ: Virginia Tech
Big East champ: Cincinnati
SEC champ: Florida
The remaining two "at large" seeds would've gone to Alabama and pick one of: Texas or Texas Tech. Utah would not have been invited, and neither would one of those Texas teams. And forget about Missouri, Boise State or Ohio State. Perfect record? Champion of a conference division? Doesn't matter, there's no room for you.

The only way to get around that and go strictly by the poll rankings is to blow up the connection between the conferences and the bowls, and I don't see any way to do that short of government intervention. There are lawful contracts involved, and while a playoff that didn't respect the conferences might earn more money overall, it would leave some conferences completely out of the money in some years (and for some conferences, potentially for several years in a row), so why would they go along with it? And why should the bowls, which themselves are businesses interested in putting the best product on TV regardless of whether it contributes to determining a champion in some larger scheme of things? And for that matter why should the polls, which everybody also has problems with, be the determining factor in who gets into the post-season? At least the conference champions achieve that distinction honestly, by playing all the teams in their conference (or subdivision of their conference) and/or winning a conference title game.

You could go to a 16 team playoff, but now you're looking at a solid month of playoffs games. I realize we don't really expect college football players to be doing any actual academics beyond renting some textbooks, but that seems to be pushing it a bit. You'd probably also have to have the first round or two played in some of the teams' home stadiums, because you can't expect fans to travel to more than a couple of actual bowl games. That's going to step on all the other bowl games -- and while some of them wouldn't be missed, there are a lot that turn out to be pretty interesting games (and pretty remunerative for the teams involved).

And at the end of it, there still would be controversies. A "playoff' just isn't as clean or definitive as people want to believe -- and it really doesn't matter how much people want one anyway: this past spring the conferences committed to the current BCS system for at least six more years.

I like the old system, where the bowls (mostly) tried for interesting match-ups and the "national champion" was determined the right way: by bar-stool arguments all over the country.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:41 pm

You're talking about a playoff only if it was modeled after the BCS. Everyone wants one that is completely separate from the BCS with no automatic conference in's (at least not on an 8-team playoff, you could with a 12 or 16-team playoff).

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:12 pm

Other then the media, I don't think many people want a playoff system. I would have liked them to leave the bowl games they way they were before. There are a number of teams that would never make the playoffs that would be in bowl games and that's a lot more fun for the fans of those teams and teams like them.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:06 pm

tfp wrote:
Other then the media, I don't think many people want a playoff system. I would have liked them to leave the bowl games they way they were before. There are a number of teams that would never make the playoffs that would be in bowl games and that's a lot more fun for the fans of those teams and teams like them.

Everyone that I know IRL wants a play-off. The thing is, you could still have the meaningless bowls that you have now, they just wouldn't be part of the playoffs. Just like for college basketball, there is still a postseason for most decent teams in the form of the NIT.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:15 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Everyone that I know IRL wants a play-off. The thing is, you could still have the meaningless bowls that you have now, they just wouldn't be part of the playoffs. Just like for college basketball, there is still a postseason for most decent teams in the form of the NIT.

I don't want a playoff. All that would do is move the "who should play for #1" arguement to "who should be #8 for the playoff." As long as the rankings are based on polls voted on by writers who don't see all the games and coaches who have their TA's do the voting for them, its going to be subjective.

UberGerbil wrote:
I like the old system, where the bowls (mostly) tried for interesting match-ups and the "national champion" was determined the right way: by bar-stool arguments all over the country.

Agree.