Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Re: College football or bust!

Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:18 pm

idchafee wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Everyone that I know IRL wants a play-off. The thing is, you could still have the meaningless bowls that you have now, they just wouldn't be part of the playoffs. Just like for college basketball, there is still a postseason for most decent teams in the form of the NIT.

I don't want a playoff. All that would do is move the "who should play for #1" arguement to "who should be #8 for the playoff." As long as the rankings are based on polls voted on by writers who don't see all the games and coaches who have their TA's do the voting for them, its going to be subjective.

It seems to work for the Championship Division, or whatever division2 or division1-AA is.

rogue426
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:28 pm

Names of the top 6 teams a blindfold and a dartboard.
ASUS P5B-E,ConroeE6400,2GB Mushkin DDR2 800,
EVGA 8800GTS,Corsair 520HX,Antec 900,WD320 GB,Samsung 204B

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:42 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
It seems to work for the Championship Division, or whatever division2 or division1-AA is.

Well, #1 no one watches DII or DIII. Seriously, how many North Central College games did you see on ESPN this season? And #2, those programs don't bring in the kind of money a top tier Di team brings in. If there was anyone on a national level interested in DII or DIII, there would be much weeping and knashing of teeth about who made the playoffs. I mean, look at all the press that the basketball "bubble" teams get. We spend almost as much time talking about why this bubble team got snubbed as we do talking about which teams made it.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:45 pm

idchafee wrote:
I mean, look at all the press that the basketball "bubble" teams get. We spend almost as much time talking about why this bubble team got snubbed as we do talking about which teams made it.

That's a fair point. However, I'll use your argument and say that it's only the media that cares about those (and obviously the fans of the teams that got left out). Few can argue that the tourney doesn't represent the best of the best. Cinderella teams get the most press, but really don't always warrant it.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:54 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Few can argue that the tourney doesn't represent the best of the best. Cinderella teams get the most press, but really don't always warrant it.

Yes, but that's a 64 team tournament (I don't count those asinine play-in games). We're talking about an 8-team tournament. Using the current AP Top 25 Poll (http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/polls) that means that Georgetown, UCLA, Syracuse, etc are all OUT. Would the NCAA tournament really be a best of the best without them?

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:59 pm

No one is limiting it to 8, I think 12 or 16 would work fine too. I'm pretty sure most would agree on the top 16 representing the best.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:27 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
No one is limiting it to 8, I think 12 or 16 would work fine too. I'm pretty sure most would agree on the top 16 representing the best.

I've yet to hear one legitimate proposal that is anything more than 8. If it were 16, the playoffs would extend well into February.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:20 pm

idchafee wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:

I've yet to hear one legitimate proposal that is anything more than 8. If it were 16, the playoffs would extend well into February.

8 would be plenty, however there is no good reason not to extend the schedule into Feb or even march.

students who have to pay their own way through college have to work every day, why shouldnt student athletes who get free room/board & tuition do the same?
College Football is way more fun & exciting than the crappy pro crap. every year i cancel my cable tv as soon as college football season is over. Actually, last year i cancelled early cuz nebraska sucked so bad i got irate.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:04 pm

The PAC-10, the Big-10 and the Rose Bowl are what is preventing a playoff system. During the latest round of negotiations for the BCS television contracts, FOX Sports offered a bunch of money to create a playoff system. The SEC, ACC and Big-12 were willing to discuss it, but the the Big-10 and PAC-10 nixed it. With ESPN getting the new TV contract, we're stuck with the BCS for another 5 yers.

I believe that ESPN actually likes the suckiness of the BCS precisely for the controversy it generates. They spend thousands of hours of TV and radio airtime arguing about the BCS. If we had a playoff system, the schmucks at ESPN might actually have to spend some time analyzing games instead of generating hype.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:13 pm

idchafee wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
The Division II playoffs start in week 13 and run for five weeks, concluding in week 17.

In 2008, the first round games were played November 15 and the final was played on December 13. Even if you pushed that back by three weeks for Div I-A, you could still finish up by the first week of January.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:51 pm

This Fiesta Bowl is nuts. Great game, and OSU gacks again

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:54 pm

danny e. wrote:
PRIME1 wrote:
I think Penn State will do well against USC, although Ohio State will get a new hole drilled by Texas.

hmm I almost think the opposite. .... IF Texas doesnt get over the disappointment of not making the national championship, they could underprepare and play sloppy. I dont really expect that to happen either.. but I expect USC will also dominate Penn St.

I expect Texas to trounce Ohio St, for the record. .. just saying that I'd think it more likely for Texas to have a let-down then for USC to have one.
I suppose it is hard to tell how good USC really is though..

hmmm I wasnt wrong about Texas being unprepared. the first half proved that.. they still won, but I certainly was wrong about how they'd win.
I expected even if they went in unprepared for them to win by 10 or more. Ohio St played good. Texas played bad.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:08 am

As I was listening to the announcers talk about the Texas offense, I had the distinct impression that I was listening to John Madden talk about Brett Favre.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:13 am

idchafee wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
Everyone that I know IRL wants a play-off. The thing is, you could still have the meaningless bowls that you have now, they just wouldn't be part of the playoffs. Just like for college basketball, there is still a postseason for most decent teams in the form of the NIT.

I don't want a playoff. All that would do is move the "who should play for #1" arguement to "who should be #8 for the playoff." As long as the rankings are based on polls voted on by writers who don't see all the games and coaches who have their TA's do the voting for them, its going to be subjective.

UberGerbil wrote:
I like the old system, where the bowls (mostly) tried for interesting match-ups and the "national champion" was determined the right way: by bar-stool arguments all over the country.

Agree.

Just do like I do and follow a team with no realistic championship aspirations anyway.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:09 am

mattsteg wrote:
Just do like I do and follow a team with no realistic championship aspirations anyway.

I do, Go Illini!

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:18 am

danny e. wrote:
hmmm I wasnt wrong about Texas being unprepared. the first half proved that.. they still won, but I certainly was wrong about how they'd win.
I expected even if they went in unprepared for them to win by 10 or more. Ohio St played good. Texas played bad.

We played like ass. Come on, we had something like 20 penalties and more than half a dozen dropped passes. Texas played pretty well--obviously, not as well as they usually do. But not bad. We should have won that game, but alas, we choked. Again.

idchafee wrote:
As I was listening to the announcers talk about the Texas offense, I had the distinct impression that I was listening to John Madden talk about Brett Favre.

I agree. It was pretty funny however.
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:27 pm

I'm quite ready for the game today. Should be a good one for sure.

njenabnit
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:39 pm

As am I! Got the keg reserved for pickup after work and the girlfriend is bringing her amazing queso dip. Hopefully the loss of DeMarco Murray won't hinder OU too much! BOOMER SOONER!

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God
Topic Author

Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:46 pm

Gator Bait!

njenabnit
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:53 pm

Gator bait never made much sense to me. Then again, I suppose boomer sooner is pretty much a nonsense term in relation to football as well.

ifittakesforever
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:47 pm

I hope, if only for the sake of my sanity, that Oklahoma beats UF tonight. I really need to convince the wife that we need to move anywhere that has nothing to do with the SEC.
Hey, anyone can have a bad century! 1907 & 1908 World Champions.
AC 00 00 00 - BELIEVE
My two favorite football teams: Ohio State and whoever plays Michigan!

njenabnit
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:58 pm

Here in tornado alley the economy doesn't suck.....as much. That would seem like a pretty good reason to me. That is if you don't mind putting up with the minimal traffic jams and low cost of living.

ifittakesforever
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:04 pm

I came up with this to tweak my Gator fan co-workers. Even if the Gators win tonight, they will still​ need to win their​ next 312 games​ in a row, win 25 more confe​rence​ title​s,​ have 4 more playe​rs win a Heism​an troph​y,​ and have 40 more playe​rs selec​ted as All-​Ameri​cans just to equal​ The Ohio State​
Unive​rsity​'​s all time winni​ng perce​ntage​,​ confe​rence​ title​s,​ Heism​an winne​rs and All-​Ameri​can playe​rs.​

Obnoxious UF fans, hurricanes, senior citizens driving 15 MPH under the limit, and humidity so bad you're sweating at 7am, what is there not to love about Florida?

AC 00 00 00 - BELIEVE

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:51 pm

ifittakesforever wrote:
I came up with this to tweak my Gator fan co-workers. Even if the Gators win tonight, they will still​ need to win their​ next 312 games​ in a row, win 25 more confe​rence​ title​s,​ have 4 more playe​rs win a Heism​an troph​y,​ and have 40 more playe​rs selec​ted as All-​Ameri​cans just to equal​ The Ohio State​
Unive​rsity​'​s all time winni​ng perce​ntage​,​ confe​rence​ title​s,​ Heism​an winne​rs and All-​Ameri​can playe​rs.​

Obnoxious UF fans, hurricanes, senior citizens driving 15 MPH under the limit, and humidity so bad you're sweating at 7am, what is there not to love about Florida?

ohio st. sucks.
how good they were back in 1904 is meaningless today.

ifittakesforever
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:25 pm

danny e. wrote:
ifittakesforever wrote:

ohio st. sucks.
how good they were back in 1904 is meaningless today.

You're exactly right since they didn't win their first title until 1942. How about an opinion based in facts?

AC 00 00 00 - BELIEVE

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:32 pm

What a horrible game so far. You'd think a 7-7 would mean good defense, but not this game has been stupid mistake after stupid mistake. This is the exact reason I can't stand college play, it is just so amateur in comparison that I can't help but scream "20 SECONDS ON THE CLOCK AND YOU DIDN'T RUN OUT OF BOUNDS!?"

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:32 pm

The only thing worse then Ohio State and Florida are their fans.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:38 pm

ifittakesforever wrote:
danny e. wrote:
ohio st. sucks.
You're exactly right... How about an opinion based in facts?

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=61308&p=887143&hilit=#p887143
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/9016 ... wl-Records
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/co ... 7981.story

ifittakesforever
Gerbil Elite

Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:14 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
ifittakesforever wrote:
danny e. wrote:
ohio st. sucks.
You're exactly right... How about an opinion based in facts?

http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic. ... t=#p887143
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/9016 ... wl-Records
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/co ... 7981.story

Nice, post links about the conference. So OSU goes 10-3, 11-2, 12-1, and 10-2 the last 4 years and they supposedly suck. Aren't you guys setting your standards a little high? I'm sure everyone else's favorite teams have had records much better than that and that's why they can claim OSU "sucks". I was a fan through the John Cooper years, I know what sucks looks like and this is definitely not it.

AC 00 00 00 - BELIEVE

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:16 pm

ifittakesforever wrote:

Nice, post links about the conference. So OSU goes 10-3, 11-2, 12-1, and 10-2 the last 4 years and they supposedly suck. Aren't you guys setting your standards a little high? I'm sure everyone else's favorite teams have had records much better than that and that's why they can claim OSU "sucks". I was a fan through the John Cooper years, I know what sucks looks like and this is definitely not it.

you spouted some nonsense about Ohio St begin better than Florida based on ancient history. We're just showing that recent history shows Ohio St is not as good.

i dont think Ohio St sucks in the normal sense .. I just think they're overrated year after year because the entire Big 10 is overrated year after year. Just look at the bowl record this year for the conference.

Conference Bowl Records

ACC 4-6 
SEC  5-2
Big 12  4-2
Big Ten  1-6     
Big East  4-2     
Conference USA  4-2 
Pac-10  5-0     
Mountain West  3-2 
WAC 1-4
MAC 0-5 
Independents 1-1 
Sun Belt 1-1