Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

AMD Damo
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

X-Fi XtremeMusic driver problem

Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:42 am

I've just done a fresh install of windows XP on my PC and we've hit a snag, i've been trying to install my X-Fi drivers but it gives me this error:

I've downloaded the latest ones and just tried the CD that came with it to no avail. I've disabled onboard audio too, device manager picks up this:

Its in the very last PCI port on my ASUS A8S-X motherboard. It was in the same position last time too.

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: X-Fi XtremeMusic driver problem

Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:06 am

Try moving it to a different slot. If you have another PC you can try it in, try that too; it will help narrow down whether the problem is with the card itself, or something else.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

AMD Damo
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:34 am

just brew it! wrote:
Try moving it to a different slot. If you have another PC you can try it in, try that too; it will help narrow down whether the problem is with the card itself, or something else.

Righto, thanks i will try when i wake up later on, its 12:34AM and i can't be bothered opening my PC case at the moment haha.

AMD Damo
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:00 pm

Alright, i switched ports and the drivers actually installed, but now when I go to open the audio properties I get the same error. No sound is working either.

EDIT: Its installed in device manager and is detected, but its giving this error:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

I click troubleshoot and it just brings up the XP help and support center with a blank window.... Yeah real helpful.

I'll wait for you guys to respond before doing anything else, **** it, it can wait.

glacius555
Gerbil XP

Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:21 pm

AMD Damo wrote:
Alright, i switched ports and the drivers actually installed, but now when I go to open the audio properties I get the same error. No sound is working either.

EDIT: Its installed in device manager and is detected, but its giving this error:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

I click troubleshoot and it just brings up the XP help and support center with a blank window.... Yeah real helpful.

Try opening the hardware manager again and look in the third tab called details. There should be a choice of IDs in the menu. check the hardware ID, the very first line. it should look like this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33208462@N06/3200378294/

If the ID is missing or completely something outlandish, you might have to contact Creative.
Fractal Design Arc Midi|Antec EA-650|Asus P7P55D Premium|Core i5-750|Gigabyte HD6950 unlocked|X-Fi XtremeMusic|24" Iiyama ProLite B2403WS|Logitech Z-5500|Logitech G11|Logitech G9x

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:58 pm

Just considering another possibility. Did you install your motherboards chipset drivers as well.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

AMD Damo
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:37 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
Just considering another possibility. Did you install your motherboards chipset drivers as well.

Only the LAN ones from ASUS's website, here. Was i supposed to get something else from there?

UPDATE: After killing my windows install with partition magic, having to re-install, i installed the drivers from the CD and this time its chucking No drivers are installed for this device error now.

EDIT2: Used the updated web drivers and it automatically uninstalled and re-installed the drivers, giving me the old error. I looked at that picture and mine is exactly the same.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:55 pm

For my motherboard there is a chipset driver as well. Without it i'm assuming there could be some pci communication problems since it uses south bridge iirc, but i'm not sure about the details of the communications between those devices. I could be way off and it should work fine without it, but that's the first thing i've installed usually.

*edit my board is also an asus board. It has a tab for chipset as well, seperate from the other drivers.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

AMD Damo
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:31 am

Heiwashin wrote:
For my motherboard there is a chipset driver as well. Without it i'm assuming there could be some pci communication problems since it uses south bridge iirc, but i'm not sure about the details of the communications between those devices. I could be way off and it should work fine without it, but that's the first thing i've installed usually.

*edit my board is also an asus board. It has a tab for chipset as well, seperate from the other drivers.

Thanks for all your help but i ended up going back to onboard :)

Madman
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:51 am

Creative drivers suck! That is a fact.

The error with the latest one is that inside the CAB there is an INI file that detects devices on USB rather than PCI. Drivers are downloaded to cache directory somewhere if you use auto update. There is a CAB, and inside another support CAB or something, IIRC. Inside that CAB there is a configuration file that is broken.

You can use CAB extractor to fix the file or use one from the older version of the driver.

The good news is that the latest drivers are a little less sucky than the previous ones and glitches are cut in half. Than again, I brought DTS connect, I repeat, brought, because Creative likes to squeeze last breath of their customers, and it doesn't work, as expected. Now I just have to wait a year so they finally fix the stuff.
Core 2 Duo E6300, MSI P45 NEO-F, Club 3D GTX 260, 4Gb DDR2-800Mhz, Audigy X-Fi Fatal1ty Champ1on ed., 0.5Tb+1Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.12, 630W AXP, Samsung SyncMaster BX2450, ViewSonic VP171b

oldmanbluntz
Gerbil In Training

Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:02 pm

i had this same issue on my SB xtrememusic sb0460 card a couple of years ago. i couldn't get it working so i gave up and went back to the onboard. i pulled the card out of the box its been in for 2 years and noticed one of the capacitors on the card was swollen. i replaced it with a same type of capacitor and BAM, it lives again.