Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Re: NFL Playoffs

Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:25 pm

I just want to the Cardinals in. I want Kurt Warner to win the Super Bowl MVP and finally be given the true credit he deserves. He was never given the proper respect by the St. Louis organization (though every fan loves him to this day) and still isn't from the sports media either.

Corrado
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:35 pm

pete_roth wrote:
So the entire march down the Ravens throat where they couldn't stop us at home didn't matter? Hah. The Ravens are good, not as good as the Burgh. I'm going to believe it will be the Steelers and the Eagles, but wouldn't be surprised if Philly lost - Their offense has been inconsistent as anyone's, and their defense is only so so. It beat us with speed when we played but our O line didn't know what the hell it was doing and we had plenty of injuries.

The real challenge for Pitt will be the mavens, not the nfc IMO. Hope I don't have to eat those words.

The philly D is so-so? They were the NFC's #1 Defense and the NFL #3 behind Pitt and the Ravens. They are also top 5 in Passing yards/game and top 5 in rushing yards/game. You say 'they only beat us with speed'... but we still beat you, no matter how it was done. A 1 point victory is still a victory. I will admit the inconsistent offense, but the Steelers offense is just as inconsistent. 6pts vs the eagles, 14 vs the titans, 11 vs the chargers, 14 vs giants and 10 vs cleveland, but 38 vs houston and cincinnati, 33 vs new england etc... When Pittsburgh plays a GOOD defense, they don't score points. When they play an average or mediocre defense, they rack up the points, just like they should. Pittsburgh's record is an indicator of their defense keeping them in a lot of games, not the offense plain outscoring the other team. Philly's inconsistency is just baffeling. They lay a lot of points on great teams... then they can't score on Cincinnati? Really? You can't score more than 3pts vs the Redskins? Just ... lots of BS inconsistency.

I'm not talking about you specifically pete, but the view I have of steeler fans is that they're delusional about how good their team is. No matter what, they're the best team ever. They could have just gotten HANDLED by 50pts, and the fans still say they're the better team and should have won etc. Every player on the team is the best player in that position in the NFL etc.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:58 pm

McNabb will have one of those games that just leaves you scratching your head and wondering why he's so highly esteemed. The only remaining question is if it will be in the NFC Championship or the Super Bowl.

I'm going with Pitt v. Phil with the Steelers getting #6 (and no, not Bubby Brister).
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:11 pm

What?! Hitler was a Ravens fan.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:39 pm

Skrying wrote:
I just want to the Cardinals in. I want Kurt Warner to win the Super Bowl MVP and finally be given the true credit he deserves. He was never given the proper respect by the St. Louis organization (though every fan loves him to this day) and still isn't from the sports media either.

Uhm, seems like he already won that award in St. Louis.

Whenever you see the Cardinals discussed on ESPN, it's a Warner/Whisenhunt love fest. There was also a pretty big segment on what he does off the field on Sunday I think it was. So I'm not really sure what your complaint is.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:32 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Skrying wrote:

Whenever you see the Cardinals discussed on ESPN, it's a Warner/Whisenhunt love fest. There was also a pretty big segment on what he does off the field on Sunday I think it was. So I'm not really sure what your complaint is.

Did I claim he didn't win that award? No, but you also completely fail to forget where Warner came from or the fact that he was kicked out of St. Louis by the management because they claimed he was washed up. You know, how Mark Bulger got his current massive contract which is universally claimed to be bad. The sporting news always fawns over the latest "surprise" team, see Giants last year, Pittsburgh a few seasons before. You also seem to forget that Whisenhunt and those other brilliant guys in Arizona drafted Leinart with a 10th pick. They also bounced him around last season as if he was even close to be of Warner skill. They tried very hard to have Leinart be the starting QB and not Warner.

There are tons of things he does off the field that are great to. But if you also read further into that you'll see that his team mates often avoid him because of his religious views. He's also had to deal with his religious views getting in the way with media and how that's frustrated him.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:38 pm

Warner annoys the hell out of me.

**R&P CONTENT REMOVED**
Last edited by Kevin on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: EDIT BY MOD: Take it to R&P please.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:05 pm

Skrying wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
Skrying wrote:

Did I claim he didn't win that award? No, but you also completely fail to forget where Warner came from or the fact that he was kicked out of St. Louis by the management because they claimed he was washed up.
He lost his last seven starts. He couldn't stay on the field. He fumbled 6 times in one game, and his replacement made the pro bowl. What real choice did St. Louis have at that point? Injuries, poor performance, and a backup who far outdoes what you've recently done generally means you're done with a team in the NFL.
Skrying wrote:
You also seem to forget that Whisenhunt and those other brilliant guys in Arizona drafted Leinart with a 10th pick. They also bounced him around last season as if he was even close to be of Warner skill. They tried very hard to have Leinart be the starting QB and not Warner.
Hardly a controversial decision. Warner certainly didn't grab the job with a stranglehold, either. Warner had a losing record as a starter last year. Leinart had a winning one. Before this season it had been years since Warner had put together a string of good games.
Skrying wrote:
There are tons of things he does off the field that are great to.
I'm sure there are.
Skrying wrote:
But if you also read further into that you'll see that his team mates often avoid him because of his religious views. He's also had to deal with his religious views getting in the way with media and how that's frustrated him.
What does that have to do with him receiving "true credit"?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:26 pm

Skrying wrote:
Did I claim he didn't win that award? No, but you also completely fail to forget where Warner came from or the fact that he was kicked out of St. Louis by the management because they claimed he was washed up.

You said he should finally get the respect he deserves - he got all kinds of respect. The AP named him 1999 MVP. The player's associated voted him 1999MVP. He went to the Pro Bowl. He even played in and won the Super Bowl. WTF more respect did he deserve? When he couldn't grip, hang onto, or throw the ball, you bet he was done in St. Louis. I had to refresh myself a little bit on this, but I was under the impression that Bulger did pretty well when Warner was holding the clipboard. Turns out that in Bulger's first two years, he went 18-4. Seems like he earned his starter's role and earned a big contract to me...only since then he's done very little more than suck eggs. By then Warner was fouling up Eli's dreams of starting in New York (though Manning eventually did get the ball). He certainly got everything he deserved in St. Louis when he was a winner and got the boot when he couldn't stay healthy and grip the damn ball. Hell, it's not my fault you're too young to remember things correctly, and on the internet you have no excuse to be so incredibly wrong. Look it up, man.

Pete, take that nonsense elsewhere. With or without God, Warner has done more off the field in his playing career for other peoples' good than you and I have done in our entire lives. Usually you're a pretty OK guy, but you gotta learn where to cut the crap.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 pm

Yes, he had his bad spell. He was dropped like a stone then. He almost vanished from the face of football planet. You're equating his past success with current perceptions. Besides this year he's been a slum dog since "The Greatest Show on Turf" days.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:25 am

Since the Greatest Show on Turf, prior to this year, he was MISERABLE. Not worth having on any football team. I think you'll see this as an anomaly, kind of like Favre's 2007 season.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:06 pm

I believe that the Ravens have a better quarterback than the Steelers do. Let's see an Eagles-Ravens SuperBowl.

Corrado

Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:55 pm

I think in 2-3 years Flacco will be better than Ben has ever been, but right now Ben has the experience and Flacco isn't exactly being given opportunities to make mistakes. They are a run first offense, and I think that that really opens up the passing game for them a lot.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:48 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
I believe that the Ravens have a better quarterback than the Steelers do. Let's see an Eagles-Ravens SuperBowl.

Flacco? Either way the Ravens defense will probably lay Ben flat out enough that Flacco will have better numbers.
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:24 pm

Kevin wrote:
I'm hoping for Ravens - Cards, if only so we don't have to listen to our resident PA fanboys. ;)

Show of hands, anyone not from Baltimore or Phoenix have that matchup? Yeah, me neither
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Kevin
Administrator

Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:31 pm

No one thought the Cards would have made it this far. Eagles are quite capable of choking when it counts.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:31 pm

Kevin wrote:
No one thought the Cards would have made it this far. Eagles are quite capable of choking when it counts.

I meant at the beginning of the year
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:50 pm

Might be a teensy bit early, but WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Arizona!

What, it's only the 2nd quarter?

Rolling20s
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:09 pm

Yeah, it seems like AZ are firing on all cylinders and Philly are stinking up the joint, as of right now.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:30 pm

Rolling20s wrote:
Yeah, it seems like AZ are firing on all cylinders

A huge tune up since they played the vikings late in the regular season.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:30 pm

AZ is looking dominant. If there is a part of the Steelers D I've never been comfortable with, it's Ike Taylor and our secondary. I don't think flacco has the ability to make light of that, but Warner sure does. The second TD was very reminiscent of the Steelers Ward TD in the Superbowl.

Kevin
Administrator

Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:52 pm

Totally different game in the second half. Almost as if the teams swapped uniforms.

Kevin
Administrator

Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:22 pm

Arizona came through in the 4th quarter. One PA team down, one to go. GO RAVENS.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:11 pm

Kevin wrote:
Arizona came through in the 4th quarter. One PA team down, one to go. GO RAVENS.

The power of Primanti compels you.

Go Steelers.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Corrado

Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:42 pm

Admittedly the Eagles played crappy in the 1st half, but they got jobbed on THREE plays. 2 pass interference non-calls, and a roughing the passer non-call. The Dockett hit McNabb later than Warner got hit on the following drive, which drew a roughing the passer call. Seemed like the Cardinals D could do no wrong.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:58 pm

I get so annoyed with parker's fumbling (forced as it may be) and his lack of power up the middle. If he doesn't get any blocking, it's pretty average at best. MOAR MOORE!

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:12 pm

I think the pass interference calls were BS in the Arizona game. The Arizona guys got a few big breaks.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:40 pm

Sweed, nice block but that doesn't excuse your complete inability to catch ****. Also, terrible call on the roughing the kicker, AND terrible clock management on the FG try.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:56 pm

Kevin wrote:
Totally different game in the second half. Almost as if the teams swapped uniforms.

Yeah, that was weird. Almost like they didn't want to win and the officials had to step in with some ticky-tack calls to keep the fix against the PA teams on. :lol:

Pete, there ain't a running back on earth that can get anywhere without a solid O-line. It ain't just your little faniverse where it happens. ;)

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:31 pm

On 3rd and inches we pass? WTF? Then Berger shanks it. I HATE Mitch Burger. Please tell me Danny boy is coming back soon *TEARS*. If Baltimore was playing even mediocre offense we'd be in deep.