Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

silentzero
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sat Mar 30, 2002 7:17 pm

Hey guys,

I recently posted about an odd glitch I was having in win2k that caused games to freeze for a split second, then suddenly reactivate and "speed up" to compensate for the time lost during the freeze.
It's tedious.
I thought I had fixed the problem by turning on vsync, but that didnt help - it's like the problem is RANDOM. sometimes my games work perfect (Half-Life, max Payne etc.), and sometimes they suffer from the glitch bug.

I actually know a person that had the exact same problem, but he had a voodoo 3 and I have an ASUS Geforce3 Ti500.

Now I'm trying to ponder wtf could be happening.. it seems to be an odd win2k bug..... but where is it located, and what's the cause? :sad:

-silentzero-

my system:
ASUS A7V133 mobo
Athlon TB 1.4 Ghz
640 megs of ram
2 HD's, IDE
ASUS GEforce3 Ti500

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: silentzero on 2002-03-30 18:19 ]</font>

0oALio0

Sun Mar 31, 2002 1:30 pm

In what type of game? D3D or OpenGL?

silentzero
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Sun Mar 31, 2002 2:33 pm

both.. .. apart from in Quake3 games

0oALio0

Sun Mar 31, 2002 11:29 pm

seems to be a very weird problem. try eliminating the possibilities. EG: take one ram chip and run and see if the error is still present. grab a spare vidcard and throw it in and see if the errors occur. etc etc

0oALio0

Sun Mar 31, 2002 11:29 pm

btw does this problem happen in single or multi?

silentzero
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Apr 01, 2002 8:01 am

it happens in single player too, it's not a lag issue.
It has to be a win2k glitch, because I had the same set up in win98 and that worked fine - only after upgrading to win2k the problems started occuring :/

resteves2
Gerbil

Mon Apr 01, 2002 10:53 am

Okay, I am admittedly out of my element here, but I wouldtn't be too fast to assume it "has" to be the OS because it worked okay with Win98.

NT was much more particular about hardware than 98 was, so it seems to reason that W2K may also be a bit more uh... discriminating.
So it seems possible that you could have a component (RAM, whatever) that has a small problem. Small enough that Win98 never really noticed or cared; but big enough that Win2K will have an occasional hiccup.

I would think that the same might be said for certain pieces of software/drivers. They may have a small corruption (or something)that was okay with 98, but not with 2k.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Apr 01, 2002 11:06 am

What graphics drivers, what sound card, what IDE controller. What 4-in-1 drivers? More info!

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Apr 01, 2002 12:03 pm

One more question are you running any apps or services in the background. List all the services that load during startup.

I've seen issues like this were an app or service suddenly springs to life and grabs processor time. NT/2000 happily provides it. While the game/app you are using suffers. You need to disable or not load the app/service or make some seting changes to force the OS to give CPU time only to the app or game that is running.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

0oALio0

Mon Apr 01, 2002 12:44 pm

Have you tried it in XP?