Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

Elohim
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Render print job on client computers

Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:02 am

I was hoping someone here could help me with some information on this setting "Render print job on client computers".

I am currently sharing 5 printers that are connected to my system via USB. There are two other computers in the house using them as well as my own. One computer prints a ton of artwork designed in Adobe Illustrator and when they send large jobs to four of the printers at the same time, it pretty much puts their computer out of commision for an hours or more while the print jobs are processed. The CPU usage hit about 100% and all memory is sucked up.

My question is whether the setting "Render print job on client computers" that I can set when I share the printer, would be beneficial to the person doing all that printing. Would turning it off allow some of the processing burden to be offloaded to my computer somehow?

Thanks in advance!

computron9000
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Render print job on client computers

Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:02 am

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa907650.aspx

how big are the files being printed (check the printer queue to see MB)?
Ethernet or wireless connection to the print server (your computer)?
speed of print server vs speed of other computers (CPU, RAM, etc)?

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Re: Render print job on client computers

Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:24 am

Definitely read that MSDN article. Basically, you want the rendering to be done on the fastest possible machine so decide if your computer (the print server, I'm assuming) is more powerful than the computer that's sending you the print job. Also decide which computer you want to be out of commission for hours while it processes data -- yours or the other computer. I mean, if you're doing Illustrator on the other computer, it's probably very powerful, and I can't imagine it going any faster elsewhere.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III