Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Steel, notfred

Igor_Kavinski
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Topic Author

Problem with files deleted from network share

Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:05 am

The problem is that files deleted from Windows XP network shares aren't moved to the recycle bin. Is there some registry setting to fix this? Or is there some software available that can monitor files in certain folders and move them to the recycle bin by intercepting their deletion? Better yet, how about some software that maintains a log of all the files deleted from a network share along with the user name of the culprit?

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: Problem with files deleted from network share

Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:49 am

AFAIK recycle bin only works for local drives; I don't know of a registry setting to "fix" it.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:57 am

What I really need is some program to monitor a folder for file deletions. I have found two so far: SystemProtect and ShareAlarmPro. The first one only detects local file deletions. The latter detects network share deletions but always specifies the deleter as the Guest account of the local pc which is useless for my purposes since I need the username and computer name from which the deletion was performed.

Actually, I am being forced to do all this searching due to Microsoft's dumb decision to require the delete permission for Excel file saves. No other software has a problem with saving files to a network share with no delete permission. But with Excel, it throws up a sharing violation error. I suppose there is no way to tell Excel to stop doing that, is there?

jinjuku
Gerbil XP

Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:04 am

So you don't want the files deleted, but you are deleting them? :-?
Computers and OS's are tools, not religions. Use the best tool for the job.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:02 am

There's a shared folder on my manager's pc that contains files some of the employees work on. My manager doesn't want any of the files to get deleted. This is easy to accomplish with NTFS file permissions. Unfortunately, Excel refuses to save the XLS files if it doesn't have the delete permission for those files. This problem is driving me nuts!

drsauced
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:25 am

Hopefully you have backups. Network file shares are not moved into the recycle bin, they are just deleted. Poof. Now it might be in the c:\recycler folder, but not very likely.
Calm seas never made a skilled mariner. But, sadly I'm an A's fan.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:26 pm

Look into Shadow Copy. Think versioning for a filesystem. It's easy-peasy to use.

Igor_Kavinski
Topic Author

Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:30 am

Finally found a software that protects files deleted from network shares. It's Undelete 2009 Professional Edition by the makers of Diskeeper. Works like a super recycle bin that even makes shadow copies of Microsoft Office documents.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:28 am

Igor_Kavinski wrote:
Finally found a software that protects files deleted from network shares. It's Undelete 2009 Professional Edition by the makers of Diskeeper. Works like a super recycle bin that even makes shadow copies of Microsoft Office documents.

Why are you going to pay for something that is included by default that you just have to setup? I'm missing some information here.