3 (7%)

Total votes: 43

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Re: Superbowl!

Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:54 am

pete_roth wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
The umps did a very poor job. I personally don't think that his right foot hit turf on that last TD, but rather just the back of his left foot. And to end the game on a poor call that wasn't even reviewed? Huge letdown. They did a disservice to the entire NFL.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l115/bprize/fark/catch.jpg

MVP.

On the SD TV we were watching, it wasn't nearly that clear. Thanks for the pic.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:57 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Usacomp2k3 wrote:
The umps did a very poor job. I personally don't think that his right foot hit turf on that last TD, but rather just the back of his left foot. And to end the game on a poor call that wasn't even reviewed? Huge letdown. They did a disservice to the entire NFL.

The play was reviewed. I distinctly heard Al Michaels refer to a review in the replay booth that found that while Warner's arm was moving, he did not have control of the ball at the time. You have to have both for it to be an incomplete forward pass.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/28971640/

I'm just saying that for such a critical timing as that was, taking more than 15 seconds to look at it was certainly warranted. It was was certainly close one way or another. I'm not saying that it wasn't a fumble, I'm just saying that there was doubt, and since it was the call that potentially determined the winner of the game, then every precaution necessary should be taken.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:03 am

It sure looked like a fumble to me.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:04 am

So now I know what it's like to be treated like a Patriots fan. There's so much hate, it's almost funny.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:07 am

idchafee wrote:

Do you think the officials did a good job overall during the game?
"Give me a scotch. I'm starving" ~ Tony Stark

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:11 am

I'm not gonna keep dredging up how bad the reffing was but I was just watching the replay of Harrison's run back just before the half and saw another no-call against Pittsburgh. #26 blatantly pulled on Warner's facemask just as Harrison ran past him.

At least Arizona made a game of it.

I hope Harrison gets fined and a suspension into next year. That was just disgusting.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:14 am

Dizik wrote:
So now I know what it's like to be treated like a Patriots fan. There's so much hate, it's almost funny.

Oh, please, nail yourself to a cross already. Martyr your fandom. Nobody's hating; just don't be surprised when people disagree with the officiating.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:26 am

PRIME1 wrote:
idchafee wrote:

They did OK. It's easy to hate on officials, but a huge proportion of the criticism here is going to things that they got right. Could they have called more penalties on the Steelers? Maybe, but officials miss things all of the time. They probably missed a ton of penalties against both teams. Could they have ignored some of the Cards' penalties? Maybe a couple, but if any of them were really bad, we'd be hearing about those rather than about how they handled calls that they got right. It's not like no calls went against the Steelers - they took a safety on a holding call, and took some other big penalties as well. Yes, the Cards drew more whistles, but not by a ridiculous amount and I don't remember any of them being particularly bad calls. I take that back - that one roughing the passer call was BS, but BS roughing calls aren't exactly rare.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:34 am

PRIME1 wrote:
idchafee wrote:

They were average. There were a few calls they could have swallowed the whistle, and there were a few that they should have called. But that's going to happen in any game. And the officials didn't throw that godawful INT at the end of the 1st half (what was Warner looking at??) and they didn't epic fail to run down a 300 lb guy when given 100 yards to do so.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:38 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Dizik wrote:

Oh, please, nail yourself to a cross already. Martyr your fandom. Nobody's hating; just don't be surprised when people disagree with the officiating.
There's no hate? Really? I'm not just talking about what's been said in these forums, but also in the media, coworkers, etc. So many people were up Kurt Warner's ass like he was the second coming of Tebow...I mean Jesus, that they're livid that he didn't get the third ring "that he deserved". So many people put so much stock into the Cardinals that they're looking to blame anybody they can for the Cards losing. Were there bad calls? Sure, but as mattsteg mentioned, there were blown calls for both teams. There were also some very good calls made, prime examples being the safety due to a hold in the endzone and the Steelers having to take a FG after Ben was stuffed at the goal line. Should Harrison be fined and/or suspended? I believe so, and I'm as diehard of a Steelers fan as they come. But I'm not not blinded enough to see that they were the better team, regardless of the officiating.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:46 am

Pretty sure Warner never got the second ring, so not sure how last night he'd have gotten the third last night.

If you want YEE HAW GO STILLERS! coverage, you'll just have to wait until Cowher is back on CBS next fall. ;)

Or, really, just re-watch Madden/Michaels. There was plenty of stiller love to go around there.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:52 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Pretty sure Warner never got the second ring, so not sure how last night he'd have gotten the third last night.
D'oh...forgot the Rams choked in XXXVI. Third appearance, second ring (if he won).

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:52 am

Dizik wrote:
But I'm not not blinded enough to see that they were the better team, regardless of the officiating.

We will never know that, because of the officiating. If you take away the questionable calls against the Cards then you open up the possibility that they were the better team. Nothing can take the wind out of a teams sails more than having to fight against the opposition and the refs/umps.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:58 am

Hoser wrote:
Dizik wrote:
But I'm not not blinded enough to see that they were the better team, regardless of the officiating.

We will never know that, because of the officiating. If you take away the questionable calls against the Cards then you open up the possibility that they were the better team. Nothing can take the wind out of a teams sails more than having to fight against the opposition and the refs/umps.

Certainly Ben's stats don't reflect a better Quarterback.

I also thought the foul for running over the placeholder was crap. He fell into him. It's not like he landed on him and started punching him.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:11 pm

^ That's what I meant by it being too bad they feel that they have to give the MVP award to a player of the team awarded the victory, rather than the person that had the best game on the field.

Holmes didn't even have the best game on the Stillers - Harrison did. I think he's still getting oxygen after that runback.

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:18 pm

PRIME1 wrote:
idchafee wrote:

Please watch the part where they were called for "Roughing the Passer." Roughing the passer?! There's a penalty for ATTEMPTING TO TACKLE??

You guys are mostly IT guys, tell me: Do you get a penalty at-random for doing your job?

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:23 pm

ssidbroadcast wrote:
PRIME1 wrote:
idchafee wrote:

Please watch the part where they were called for "Roughing the Passer." Roughing the passer?! There's a penalty for ATTEMPTING TO TACKLE??

You guys are mostly IT guys, tell me: Do you get a penalty at-random for doing your job?
If you don't understand the rules, you shouldn't be commenting on the officiating.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:21 pm

mattsteg wrote:
ssidbroadcast wrote:
If you don't understand the rules, you shouldn't be commenting on the officiating.

Don't the rules allow a single step?

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:23 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
mattsteg wrote:
ssidbroadcast wrote:

If its the play I'm thinking of, that ball was gone for a long damn time before he got hit.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:39 pm

Usacomp2k3 wrote:
mattsteg wrote:
ssidbroadcast wrote:

I've already posted that I felt that call was a bit iffy. That doesn't make ssidbroadcast's post any less stupid.

PRIME1
Darth Gerbil

Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:43 pm

idchafee wrote:

If its the play I'm thinking of, that ball was gone for a long damn time before he got hit.

If I recall he was out of the pocket and had already dodged a few tackles. So he was being chased, that guy could not have stopped. Not to mention the Ben likes to pump fake all the time. Warner took a few hits after the ball was gone and no one seemed to care.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:15 pm

PRIME1 wrote:
idchafee wrote:

If I recall he was out of the pocket and had already dodged a few tackles. So he was being chased, that guy could not have stopped. Not to mention the Ben likes to pump fake all the time. Warner took a few hits after the ball was gone and no one seemed to care.

Then its not the one I'm thinking of because the one I'm thinking of was a hit on Warner

ssidbroadcast
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:24 pm

PRIME1 wrote:
idchafee wrote:

Yes.

IIRC there was exactly one time when "roughing the passer" was called. They played the replay footage. The tackle was indeed attempted as the QB was making the pass. These guys can't stop a tackle on a dime.

mattsteg is thinking of the Unnecessary Roughness call either during the FG kick or another one, and yes both of those were legitimate calls.

btw, that one Steelers guy who was punching and throwing other players imo should've been ejected. Instead he gets 1 penalty and plays the rest of the game to win a Super Bowl. :-?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:37 pm

Hey, he's the defensive player of the year, and he's very important. You can't just eject him because he assaulted another player. ;)

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:37 pm

ssidbroadcast wrote:
mattsteg is thinking of the Unnecessary Roughness call either during the FG kick or another one
No I'm not.

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:46 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Hey, he's the defensive player of the year, and he's very important. You can't just eject him because he assaulted another player. ;)

I think the Superbowl was the first NFL game I've watched all year, and I have to say...what the hell was wrong with that guy? Does he have major anger management issues, or what? I mean there's a good solid line between aggressive and just plain violent, when it comes to football. He crossed it multiple times in one game. How many times during the season?
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:23 am

CampinCarl wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
What the hell was wrong with that guy? Does he have major anger management issues, or what? I mean there's a good solid line between aggressive and just plain violent, when it comes to football. He crossed it multiple times in one game. How many times during the season?
Defensive players are like that. 'Roid rage isn't uncommon.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:00 am

The only thing that sucks about this is that the parade is today at 11am. I'm currently at work so no dice. WHO THE HELL HAS A PARADE ON A TUESDAY?!?! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Kulith
Gerbil XP

Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:26 pm

Why is everybody dissing the refs? They did a gret job. They reviewed almost every single play of the game. The "roughing the holder" call was a huge misfortune and total accident by the cardinals. But it was indeed "roughing the holder" - obviously nobody would do that on purpose. It was the right call, but it didn't affect the game either way.

Harrison was beeing overly aggressive and mean, yes. But he didn't do anything for him to deserve to be ejected. He pushed a guy while the ball was in play, deal with it, this is football. The 15 yard personal foul was the right call. But it was a dick move by Harrison and it makes me sad to watch it.

THE ONLY questionable call was the last one. It looked like an incomplete pass, but it doesn't look like it was Warners arm that it was propelling it forward, so it's debatable. Doesn't matter either way, only 5 seconds left.
Core 2 quad q6600 w/ thermaltake V1 | eVGA GTX260 core216 | Abit IP35 Pro | 4gb OCZ ddr2 800 | 60GB OCZ Vertex | Corsair 750W CMPSU | Antec 900 | Samsung 206BW 20" | Windows 7 Ult x64 | Ideazon Merc Stealth & Logitech G5 | I-Trigue L3800

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:51 pm

Pushing a guy??? Did we watch the same game? I definitely saw Harrison punch that player in the back several times rather forcefully...you call that ok? The guy needs to be punished and rather severely i might add. He should be put in PacMan's league of dumb moves AFAIC :roll:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.