Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Re: Folding on IGP?

Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:19 pm

Huh. I've never gotten a 234 point WU on either of my GPU's. I get a fairly large number of 511 pointers, of course, because they fold slower on mine...

Anyway, I mainly bought that one to make it easier to get up and running. Maybe some time I'll pick up a video card for it, but for the time being it'll just do SMP folding. Hopefully the proc. will overclock decently.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:03 pm

Ugh.

I forgot to get a HSF for the processor. And I've also got to find some stinking screws for the new HD, since WD doesn't include anything with their OEM drives, unlike the way Seagate does (or did last I bought one, anyway). Fortunately, the motherboard has 2 SATA cables, at least.

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:30 pm

To update this thread for no reason other than noticing it when searching for something else, I got the machine up and running and it adds from nearly 1000 PPD to over 1800 PPD depending on the SMP WU. It's fairly reliable so far, though today with the outside temperatures above 65 F even though we had a low of 8 F this same week (NYC will likely get similar warm weather tomorrow or so) I've turned the window A/C on to make sure the room it's in doesn't get too hot for the multiple machines running.

The HSF I used was a Rosewill and I was too lazy to remove the thermal pad and then put thermal goop on, I just slapped it on there and began testing. It doesn't seem to get much heat, I can't feel any warmth when I touch its side, which makes me wonder how much heat is being transferred to it. Anyway, I was able to OC the processor from its stock 2.3 GHz to 2.86 GHz, which is not great but it's OK. I think if I took the trouble to remove the pad and replace it with Arctic Silver 5 I might be able to get a bit more out of the thing, since it's supposed to be a low-power cool-running CPU (BE-2400, 1.25 v, 45W). But I'll likely put it off until I move some disks out of one machine and try to see if I can change a few video cards around so that the GPU folding done on my main desktop is done on that dedicated machine, and the main machine has an older GPU which can't fold. Or maybe I'll splurge and get a different GPU... I'll decide after I see what can be done with that box. The plan is to test if I can get a Linux distro with Wine running the GPU client as some were talking about on the foldingforum.org site. If I can find a wireless NIC that works with most Linux distros, that would make it a more plausible investment because then I can move the machine to a cooler room.

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:54 pm

So, was the IGP chip on your Gigabyte motherboard to slow to make the GPU deadlines? Or did it steal to many cycles from the SMP client? I assume you are not running an IGP GPU client, since you didn't mention it.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

Ragnar Dan
Gerbil Elder
Topic Author

Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:45 pm

I never even tried any GPU folding with it, I just used the IGP so I could see what was going on when booting and changing settings in the BIOS. It's running notfred's "diskless" ISO from the optical drive (because I still can't seem to get a board which allows me to boot from USB flash drives, though maybe I just don''t understand how to do it properly), and that's all for now. I'd have to build my own ISO in order to run it anyway while that machine has no hard drive, and that would probably require more work than I'm ready to put into it. When I finally give the machine a disk, then I'll see about trying GPU folding with the machine, though I probably won't even test it on the IGP because of the evident slowness others' machines have demonstrated.

Probably the way to mess around with it that would be easiest is to build another Linux virtual machine for VMware, and test it out there. Then if it works, I could just back up the Linux stuff to some place that my network can read from, and then copy from there onto one of the PATA drives and use that drive for the "new" system, if I can get access to the drive from inside VMware (I forget what limitations VMware places on what you can do, but it seems like Linux should allow me to mount, format, and install a distro onto a drive). I'm doubtful it will be worth the trouble to do the copying part, though, and I may just install from whatever Linux distro I choose (hopefully it will have an ISO available to boot and install from) and then download everything folding-related for the system once I get it up and running. But testing in VMware seems like a simple way to find out if I can get any kind of GPU performance while still running the SMP client.

GeForce6200
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:28 pm

I tried folding on my 780V chipset and it says it is unsupported. So I guess I can scatch that. But just got my 4850e going in the meantime. Is TR going to get passed by another team soon? Because I might have to take a 4850 out of my main machine and toss it in my clay class :D
AMD FX8350|Gigabyte GA78LMT Modded (Rev 5.0)|EVGA 980Ti FTW|16GB Corsair DDR3|840 EVO|Raijentek STYX|Enermax TriathlorEco 650|M-Audio BX8a Deluxe

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:40 pm

GeForce6200 wrote:
I tried folding on my 780V chipset and it says it is unsupported. So I guess I can scatch that. But just got my 4850e going in the meantime. Is TR going to get passed by another team soon? Because I might have to take a 4850 out of my main machine and toss it in my clay class :D

TR needs all the folding help it can get. We just got knocked out of the top 10 :oops:

and we have other teams chomping at our heels http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... ?s=&t=2630
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

jeffry55
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Location: Menlo Park - just down the street from the F@H Servers!

Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:18 am

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
GeForce6200 wrote:

TR needs all the folding help it can get. We just got knocked out of the top 10 :oops:

and we have other teams chomping at our heels http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... ?s=&t=2630

SUCK!!! :x
Join UGN's Drive to the Top!
UnitedGerbilNation wants you!!