Moderators: renee, SpotTheCat, Nemesis

feivel
Gerbil
Topic Author

esata

Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:11 pm

my cm 690 comes with an esata connector on top
there is no esata connector on my mobo, i doublechecked

can i hook it up to a regular sata connector on the mobo?

thanks

gud4u
Gerbil In Training

Re: esata

Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:27 pm

I used a $3 (MWave) SATA/eSATA cable with PCI mounting bracket.

Plug in the SATA connector to any available SATA port, mount the PCI bracket, connect the eSATA cable from the external device to the eSATA connector on the bracket. Simple as that.

Hope this helps!

Evaders99
Gerbil First Class

Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:03 pm

My understanding is that with the eSATA connector, he would not need a separate bracket. Just plug into a normal SATA port on the motherboard.

Per http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/Coo ... ternal.php
EDs and buttons on the outside of the case have the normal wires on the inside. The only one which may need some explanation for those who are not up to speed with the latest technology is eSATA. This cable actually ends in a standard SATA connector which can be plugged direct into the motherboard.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:01 am

Just keep in mind that your SATA controller needs to be running in AHCI mode, with appropriate hot-plug capable drivers installed; otherwise the drive will not be recognized until you reboot (and you will also be unable to unplug it while the system is running). Not all SATA controllers/drivers support this.

Also, if you originally installed the OS with the SATA controller set to IDE compatibility mode in the BIOS, you may have problems switching it to AHCI mode since the OS does not have the appropriate drivers installed, which will prevent the OS from booting.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

gud4u
Gerbil In Training

Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:41 am

Just keep in mind that your SATA controller needs to be running in AHCI mode, with appropriate hot-plug capable drivers installed; otherwise the drive will not be recognized until you reboot (and you will also be unable to unplug it while the system is running). Not all SATA controllers/drivers support this.

This is true for my situation, where I am in IDE compatibility mode. Installing AHCI requires would require re-installing Windows in AHCI, which I didn't want to do.

In this case (IDE compatibility mode), the eSATA device is only recognized (hardware found) if the eSATA device is powered on before powering-on the PC - and of course hot-swapping is not possible.

Hope this helps!