Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

Rakhmaninov3
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Manually Setting Top Sites in Safari 4 ?

Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:49 am

Is there a way to manually set your Top Sites in Safari 4, or do you have to wait until Safari clues in by itself? I've visited TR about a dozen times today, yet it hasn't shown up on my Top Sites.
GO CARDINALS!

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Re: Manually Setting Top Sites in Safari 4 ?

Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:00 am

I went through and deleted all the predefined sites because most of them were junk. Once I did that sites I go to started showing up faster then its just a matter of clicking on edit pinning them in place where you want them. Its still kind of odd because you can go to a site one time and it will show up and another site you might have to go to half a dozen times for it to show up . So far I am really liking safari

Rakhmaninov3
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:42 am

I really like Safari 4 also. MUCH snappier than any of the previous versions, and even though I'm usually not a huge enthusiast for squishy graphics, I do like the history and Top Sites implementations. The title-bar tabs are also nice. Great for a beta, can't wait until the final release.
GO CARDINALS!

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:49 am

It seems more stable than chrome so far which is what I have been using for awhile so that part of it is nice. Are you running safari on a windows machine or a Mac ?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:53 am

Safari is weird...title bar tabs are a cool idea, but when I click the window to bring it to the front, if I happen to click on a different tab, it switches. That should be changed - background -> foreground change doesn't mean I want to switch.

I think I "get" why it might be like that right now - if you use Exposé or four-fingered gestures on new MacBooks, you'll never have that problem. So it might be something they didn't notice. If it's still like that in the final, I'll be disappointed, but I'll probably manage.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:17 pm

Now that I've had some time with the beta, I'm enjoying it more.

I also found that you can make the Top Sites page your home page (which I use as a series of "live" bookmarks, which I think is what they intended). Just set the URL for your home page to

topsites://
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

xcwomac
Gerbil In Training

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:27 am

I was wondering the exact same thing, which is how I came across this thread in a Google search. I also came across this: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php? ... query=robg. It helped me out. You probably already figured this out by now, but hope it helps somebody.

Melanie

leighmcc
Gerbil In Training

Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:18 pm

Hehe if only I'd seen the masoxhints hint before. I couldn't figure out how to do it, and only just discovered how to manually set my Top Sites today! i blogged it with video ( http://tr.im/safari4topsites )

I'm using the topsites:// url now too, which is great. I wonder why they didn't just put a "Use Top Sites" button next to the "Use Current Page" button. Apple are mysterious sometimes.