Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, farmpuma, just brew it!

Shinare
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

VMWare server on Vista x64?

Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:35 pm

Welp, I decided that in addition to my home computer doing GPU folding I would have it try out some VMWare goodness via notfred's excellent VMWare appliance. However, while installing I got 6 errors, one was that IIS was not able to be set up, and the others were all unsigned driver errors. Is there a version ov VMWare server that works on Vista x64?
For with what measure you measure it will be measured to you.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Re: VMWare server on Vista x64?

Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:03 pm

VMware Server 2.0 does indeed work on Vista 64. Make sure you get the x64 build.

You could just use VMware Player instead, since it doesn't look like you're wanting to create VMs, but just use ones that others have created.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:14 pm

And if you do need to create VMs without VMware Server/Workstation, there is always sites like this.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:47 pm

I'm using VMPlayer to run two UNIX environments each on my quad core rigs. Here is the thread which details the pain and agony I went through to accomplish this feat. (OK it's a feat when you know as little about VMware and UNIX as I do=))

http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic. ... t=vmplayer

People refer to me in this thread as David. Just so ya know :wink:
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:31 pm

Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:
I'm using VMPlayer to run two UNIX environments each on my quad core rigs. Here is the thread which details the pain and agony I went through to accomplish this feat. (OK it's a feat when you know as little about VMware and UNIX as I do=))

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57916&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=vmplayer

Wow I looked at that thread I only had a faint memory of ever being so helpful. I was reading some of my posts and I am now saying to myself "how did I come up with those?". :lol:

Anyway, I just set up an Xubuntu VM running LinuxSMP. I may need to do it again so I can create that "idiot competency" step-by-step guide that you want. ;) :P

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:21 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Gerbil Jedidiah wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57916&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=vmplayer

Wow I looked at that thread I only had a faint memory of ever being so helpful. I was reading some of my posts and I am now saying to myself "how did I come up with those?". :lol:

Anyway, I just set up an Xubuntu VM running LinuxSMP. I may need to do it again so I can create that "idiot competency" step-by-step guide that you want. ;) :P

Hopefully the OP knows I was the one wanting "idiot competency" in that old thread and does not think he is being considered the "idiot" :)
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.

Shinare
Gerbil XP
Topic Author

Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:06 pm

Hey thanks for the info on the VMWare player. I looked for the VMWare Server 2.0 for Vista x64 but could not find it for some reason. I probably, like you said, don't need some full blown huge "server" thing if I'm just going to be "playing" pre-made images. Hopefully something smaller might be less resource hungry and therefore fold faster?

:)

Going to download it and try it tonight when I get home.
For with what measure you measure it will be measured to you.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:52 pm

Shinare wrote:
Hey thanks for the info on the VMWare player. I looked for the VMWare Server 2.0 for Vista x64 but could not find it for some reason. I probably, like you said, don't need some full blown huge "server" thing if I'm just going to be "playing" pre-made images. Hopefully something smaller might be less resource hungry and therefore fold faster?

:)

Going to download it and try it tonight when I get home.
Vista != server, so you will not find any official support for a "VMware Server for Vista" at all.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:21 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Vista != server, so you will not find any official support for a "VMware Server for Vista" at all.

It nonetheless exists as a product and (mostly) works. We ended up not using it because USB was really flaky (at least on Vista 64, didn't try 32).
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x