Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

lordT
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

iPhone Apps

Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:08 pm

I never got around jail breaking my 2G iPhone and didn't really install any apps from the App store. With the 3G though, I've been messing with them a lot and I'd like to know what you fellow gerbils have installed. Jailbroken or from the app store, any must-have or interesting apps I should know of?

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Re: iPhone Apps

Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:14 pm

Here's what I have installed:

AIM
SportsTap
eBay
Facebook
The Bible *
Google search
Wikipanion
iYardage (golf app, haven't used it yet)
The complete works of Shakespeare *
Cube Runner *
PhoneSaber
VoiceRecord
MotoChaser *
Remote *

Believe it or not, I use them all. I put an asterisk beside my favorites.
Twitter: @xmunos

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:20 pm

Mobile News (from the AP) is one of my favorites. Google Earth is really cool but not something I repeat use much. Facebook is nice if you're into it; I also bought Bejeweled and Cro-Mag Rally (racing, when it was on sale). If you want a game I'd just recommend getting Aurora Feint, though -- I still haven't figured out the rpg stuff but you don't need to if you just want to play jewel-matching.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:45 pm

Pandora, Naboko, IM+ Lite, Remote, Parking Lot, Galcon Lite

I have an iPod Touch but its the same difference.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:10 am

Alex have you tried Google search with voice activation? Apparently it was just updated like yesterday or Monday.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

lordT
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:17 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Alex have you tried Google search with voice activation? Apparently it was just updated like yesterday or Monday.
Well, I tried it out for a bit. Apparently it works best with a North American accent. It gets 80% of what I say though. Pretty freaking cool if I can say so myself.

Edit: I can't get it to understand Tech Report. :( It ends up searching for tax rapport. WTF that means I have no idea.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:37 am

lordtottuu wrote:
Edit: I can't get it to understand Tech Report. :( It ends up searching for tax rapport. WTF that means I have no idea.

:lol: Seems we're in for another round of egg freckles.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

jsncable
Gerbil

Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:06 am

I use:

Airsharing -- Copy Stuff to your Iphone over Wireless
Ebay
The Weather Channel - The weather program i like the best
Gasbag - To track my gas cost
Jellycar - Addictive Game
Urbanspoon - find a local restaurant
Moonlight Mahjongg - Practically Crack
Shazam- Find the name of music.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
-Aristotle

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:59 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

Oh wow, I haven't tried that yet! Sounds really cool though. I'll check it out when I get home tonight.

adisor19
Gerbil First Class

Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:10 pm

PDAnet is one of my faves.

It transforms your iPhone into an instant WiFi router. Most of you probably have the obligatory data plan that allows you 5GB a month so why not actually take advantage of it ?

You need to Jailbreak your iPhone and then launch Cydia and install PDAnet.

Adi

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:30 pm

Just upgraded the Google iPhone app to the latest version with voice search. Very cool. So far, it's been accurate, very accurate. Not just cool, but efficient in some situations...

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:21 am

I use:

Shazam
Wurdle
Tanzen
facebook
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

lordT
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:59 am

I feel dirty. I spent $50 on the appstore.

JdL
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:23 am

jsncable wrote:
I use:

Airsharing -- Copy Stuff to your Iphone over Wireless

How well does Air sharing work for you? I'd be interested myself -- though I'm a Vista 64-bit user. Any feedback you could provide would be great!
JdL
286DX > Pentium Pro 200 > Athlon 1000 @ 1.4 GHz > Athlon 64 2.2 GHz > Athlon XP 3200+ > Core 2 Duo 3300 @ 4.0 GHz > Core 2 Quad 6600 G0 @ 3.2 > Core i7 3770 @ stock

lordT
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:43 am

SSHing into a jail broken iPhone is that much easier in my opinion.

JdL
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:54 am

lordtottuu wrote:

Maybe in your opinion, but not on my Windows box.

lordT
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:14 pm

JdL wrote:
lordtottuu wrote:

Maybe in your opinion, but not on my Windows box.
You just need a jailbroken iPhone, install openSSH from Cydia and WinSCP on your Windows boxen.

Just as a FYI, I run Windows too. Vista Ultimate 32bit.

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:50 pm

lordtottuu wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
Well, I tried it out for a bit. Apparently it works best with a North American accent. It gets 80% of what I say though. Pretty freaking cool if I can say so myself.

You might get a kick out of this article.
The free application, which allows iPhone owners to use the Google search engine with their voice, mistook the word "iPhone" variously for "sex," "Einstein" and "kitchen sink," said the Daily Telegraph.

Comments left by users on the application's website seemed to confirm the problem. "Awesome job google. only problem is every time I say the word 'fish' it registers as 'sex'," wrote one, identified as Kevin.

LOL. Sex, Einstein, and kitchen sink...

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:07 am

It's been a few months since this thread got some attention, so I thought I would contribute. My wife got me an iPhone over the weekend, and I'm loving it. So far I've downloaded the following apps:

Twitterific - Twitter client
Darkroom - Waits for the camera to be steady before taking a picture
Facebook - No explanation needed
Urbanspoon - jsncable described it perfectly
Backgrounds - Searches Flickr for backgrounds
Wikipanion - Yay for Wikipedia
Fring - IM Client
iHandy Level

Has anybody found something recently worth sharing?
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

firerules16
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:45 pm

I just recently bought myself an iPhone, and I'm avsolutely loving it. I'm actually typing up this forum post on it now! I'm wondering, is it really worth it to try and jailbreak the iPhone? I find myself quite intrigued and want to do it, but I'm very wary about the risk. What do you guys think?
I7 4770K @ 4.3 ghz (delidded) | Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler | Asus Z87-A Mobo | G.SKILL Ares 16GB DDR3-1866 RAM| Gigabyte GTX 970 OC x 2 (SLI) | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD | 3 TB Mechanical Storage | Corsair Carbide 400R Enclosure | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W PSU

lordT
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:27 am

firerules16 wrote:
I'm wondering, is it really worth it to try and jailbreak the iPhone? I find myself quite intrigued and want to do it, but I'm very wary about the risk. What do you guys think?
It's absolutely worth it. Not for the ability to install cracked apps [ :x ] but for the ability to customize everything on your phone and then some. You get some nifty utilities too including the ability to run apps in the background.

firerules16
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:20 pm

Ok, I just jailbroke my iPhone. Now I have a couple of questions:

First off, what happens when apple releases a firmware update for the iPhone? Will it un-jailbreak the iPhone if I update the firmware?

Next up, what are some good jailbreak programs to try out?
I7 4770K @ 4.3 ghz (delidded) | Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler | Asus Z87-A Mobo | G.SKILL Ares 16GB DDR3-1866 RAM| Gigabyte GTX 970 OC x 2 (SLI) | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD | 3 TB Mechanical Storage | Corsair Carbide 400R Enclosure | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W PSU

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:44 pm

yes, updating the software will return your phone to jail, but then within a couple of days it seems there's usually an updated jailbreak app to bail it back out.

lordT
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:48 pm

firerules16 wrote:
First off, what happens when apple releases a firmware update for the iPhone? Will it un-jailbreak the iPhone if I update the firmware?
Yeah, you will have to re-jailbreak it with the newer firmware.

firerules16 wrote:
Next up, what are some good jailbreak programs to try out?
Winterboard is a must. As is SBSettings.

firerules16
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:12 am

I'm digging winterboard. I downloaded a couple of really cool themes. Still trying to decide which one I want to stick with though. I'm looking forward to see what else I can do with this thing.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:20 pm

Gizmodo is covering the iPhone OS 3.0 preview. MMS, cut/copy/paste, application add-on purchases (buying within the base app)...looks pretty useful. My wife has been eyeing them forever, and I've started to become busy enough outside of work that the idea of a PIM is very attractive. Add that to the fact that the 2G iTouch can be permanently jailbroken, and there might be a pair of these devices in our future. I've been very tight with money so far this year, but the idea is intriguing enough to almost make me do it.

edit: and stereo bluetooth, which IIRC someone was all hot to trot about being a limitation of the iPhone/iTouch on the front page somewhere.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:48 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
edit: and stereo bluetooth, which IIRC someone was all hot to trot about being a limitation of the iPhone/iTouch on the front page somewhere.

That was probably me. I'm glad to hear it.

lordT
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:07 pm

The battery life on these things suck enough as it is without A2DP. :)

Copy/paste is the feature I am looking forward to.

firerules16
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:46 pm

Landscape mode for Texting, Mail, and Notes is going to make me very happy. So is MMS and copy/paste.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:44 pm

Kind of an old thread, but I have made it rise up. After dinking with my wife's iPod touch for a while, I decided I wanted one. Thanks to family that don't know what to buy me so they just give me cash, I now have an 8GB 3rd gen iTouch.

I've found this thread very useful, though. None of the apps I searched for came up dead or anything. I want to contribute, though, so here's a handful of apps that I've fooled around with in the last 7 hours I've had the device, along with some of the apps that she has installed. Everything listed below is free.

Google Earth - just like the Windows version
Flashlight - probably won't use it much, just turns the screen white so that it gives off as much light as possible. Would be more useful if it had access to the brightness slider.
Bubble Wrap - it's free, and mindless. My wife loves it.
Traffic Rush - it's also free but not so mindless. We'll see if it has any staying power but it's cool.
CannonGame - Discovery Channel-sponsored scorched earth-type cannon game.
Minesweeper - looks just like Windows 95's minesweeper
NetNewsWire - RSS reader that syncs with NetNewsWire for OS X and FeedDemon for Windows to track what's been read, so you never read the same feed twice. Also syncs with GoogleReader.
eBuddy - MSN/AIM/etc. IM client

I also paid for a pair of apps - Tetris and Bookworm, both of which are pretty good. Tetris especially.