Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

pyrodeus
Maximum Gerbil

Re: What are you READING right now?

Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:30 am

The Dialectics of Secularization, by Joseph Ratzinger (aka The Pope) and Jurgen Habermas (aka "Not the Pope"). More of a pamphlet, really, but a deep, philosophical pamphlet.
For a moment of night we have a glimpse of ourselves and of our world islanded in its stream of stars—pilgrims of mortality, voyaging between horizons across eternal seas of space and time.
--Henry Beston, The Outermost House

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:27 am

Groundswell its surprisingly good.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

ok.maebe
Gerbil

Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:19 pm

Darkmage wrote:
SpotTheCat wrote:
I just read "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger. It's the most amazing love story I've ever read. The story seems so original and imaginative, defiantly worth the read.
Ditto that. Good book.

I just finished Zoe's Tale by John Scalzi, the latest in the Old Man's War universe.

Oh I love that book. It's so beautiful.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:47 pm

The Washington Post Student Weekly Edition.

School SUCKS.
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

CampinCarl
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:51 pm

Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein. For the...zillionth time. Probably one of the best books ever. Too bad the movie(s) were such travesties (in respect to the book).
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming-3 | R7 1700X | 2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200 (@DDR4-2933)| Samsung 960 Evo 1TB SSD | Gigabyte GTX1080 | Win 10 Pro x86-64

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:08 pm

I've finished Revelation Space and Redemption Ark and have got a wee bit into Absolution Gap.

From where I stand reading the trilogy Alastair Reynolds is edging his way into a near-holy triumvirate and asking to be the fourth member. I'm an old fart and have read everything that Asimov, Clarke, and Heinlein ever wrote. Reynolds has the ability to meld the hard sci-fi bits of the Old Masters with the personal-level motivations of Frank Herbert's style and come out with 700-page paperbacks that are still cracking page-turner reads. I'd love to read more from this universe (already have Chasm City), but I'll gladly read anything he writes before consulting the critics. Mark my words; Alastair Reynolds has the potential to retire as one of the few giants of sci-fi.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:25 am

I'm reading through the Star Wars Thrawn trilogy for the first time. It's my first time reading Star Wars books, and it's actually a lot better than I though it would be. I just started book two, Dark Force Rising.

For you fellow Star Wars geeks out there, what Star Wars books should I read after the Thrawn Trilogy?
Twitter: @xmunos

Voldenuit
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:52 pm

I tried to pick up Michael Chabon's "The Yiddish Policemen's Union" the other day, but found it pretty dull. Similarly unengaging was his "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay", which won a Pulitzer Prize some time ago.

Maybe I just don't get Yidlit. About the only things conceivably worse are Chinklit and Chicklit, although it has to be said that there have been good Chicklit books in the past...
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:49 pm

A History of Russia

And once that is done I've got The Man Who Killed Rasputin waiting on the end table.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:19 pm

Just read the dresden files. Now I'm going to go with Leopold's Ghost. Yay for works on colonialism! Belgian Conga=unfun.

re: Star Wars books. Really, the Trawn Trilogy was the only decent part of that line that I saw. Sorry

ned: I'm going to have to give those a go. I'm hurting for good fantasy/sci fi and it's hard to find any. Also, good horror novels are in short supply. Laura K Hamilton needs to be put down for travesties to the genre.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Momento Mori
Gerbil First Class

Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:03 am

Right now I am reading "Necroscope III: The Source".

@paulWTAMU
You might like the Necroscope series by Brian Lumley they fall somewhere between sci-fi and horror, although I think their offical genre is horror.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:29 am

Xenocide, by Orson Scott Card. I'm slowly working my way through the entire "Ender" series.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

LafInBob
Gerbil

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:11 pm

Recently finished reading everything by Brandon Sanderson - Elantris and the Mistborn trilogy. If you sci fi/fantasy fans have not yet read this guy, run, don't walk, to the nearest bookstore and make your purchases! Best new writer (for me) in years, and I've been reading this stuff since my first go through with The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogy in ~ 1974. Sanderson is currently working on the final chapter of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.

At the moment, I'm leafing through the Witcher Game Guide and reading Stephen R. Donaldson's Fatal Revenant, the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, another great series with a different sort of hero.
GA-EP45-UD3R, E8500, NZXT Tempest, MSI N260 OC (216 cores), Core Contact Freezer
Corsair HX520, 4GB Mushkin DDR2 800, WD AALS 640 GB, Vista Home Premium 64 bit

LafInBob
Gerbil

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:19 pm

pete_roth wrote:
Breakfast of Champions, Vonnegut. Not a bad read albeit seemingly unorganized. I hear that's just his style though.

I haven't read Vonnegut in years, but I'd say you have it just about right. Very naughty and subversive to me when first read in 8th grade. For me, Cat's Cradle is his masterwork, many others (most?) would cite either Breakfast or Slaughterhouse Five.
GA-EP45-UD3R, E8500, NZXT Tempest, MSI N260 OC (216 cores), Core Contact Freezer
Corsair HX520, 4GB Mushkin DDR2 800, WD AALS 640 GB, Vista Home Premium 64 bit

pikaporeon
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:31 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Xenocide, by Orson Scott Card. I'm slowly working my way through the entire "Ender" series.

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/nighttime_stories.jpg ; )

Im reading the god delusion
Hey girl you want a bad boy? I overclock my backup servers.
Ryzen 9 5900X | 2070 Super | 32 GB RAM | BX100 500 GB+MX500 500GB+660P 1TB
Sempron [email protected] | 2 GB RAM | 6 TB | FreeBSD 12

krazyboi
Gerbil First Class

Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:39 pm

Quiet Strength by Tony Dungy. Good and easy read. A book about his life, leadership, and of course football!
"Experience is not what happens to you; it's what you do with what happens to you."

roont
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:30 pm

The Thousandfold Thought - R. Scott Bakker.

this is the third book in The Prince Of Nothing series by Bakker. This is my second readthough because the 4th book, "the judging eye" came out just last week or something.

awesome fantasy read.
"...and she says, 'That's not my expansion slot.' So my friend says, 'That's not my gold plated 22-pin connector!! Ah-hahahaHA!"

GeekyGirl
Gerbil Elite

Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:41 pm

The Best of The best: 20 Years of the Year's Best Science Fiction Edited by Gardner Dozois
NEW SYSTEM DETAILS: i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz |16 GB RAM| NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 | Solid State HDD | 1 TB HDD | and numerous external drives

dustyjamessutton
Gerbil XP

Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:51 pm

I'm reading Magician:Apprentice, by Raymond E. Fiest. The first book in a series of books called The Riftwar Saga. Very good book so far.
Tomorrow will take us away, far from home, no one will ever know our names, but the bard's song will remain....

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:14 pm

Is The God Delusion any good, pikaporeon?

I'm reading A Language Older than Words by Derrick Jensen. I just finished Walking on Water: Reading, Writing, and Revolution by the same author.

I couldn't recommend either of these books highly enough. They are easily two of the five most influential books I've ever read.
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:08 pm

GIMP2 for photographers.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:51 pm

The Dark Half by Stephen King. Actually, re-reading it.

I "inherited" a fairly large King collection - a friend of mine received a bunch of books and gave me what he had duplicates of.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:52 pm

In the fiction category, I just finished The Red Badge of Courage and am just beginning on The Three Musketeers.

For my American culture and history class I'm currently reading Listening In, which is a cultural history of radio from its invention to today.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

Kevin
Administrator

Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:56 am

Captain Ned wrote:
I've finished Revelation Space and Redemption Ark and have got a wee bit into Absolution Gap.

From where I stand reading the trilogy Alastair Reynolds is edging his way into a near-holy triumvirate and asking to be the fourth member. I'm an old fart and have read everything that Asimov, Clarke, and Heinlein ever wrote. Reynolds has the ability to meld the hard sci-fi bits of the Old Masters with the personal-level motivations of Frank Herbert's style and come out with 700-page paperbacks that are still cracking page-turner reads. I'd love to read more from this universe (already have Chasm City), but I'll gladly read anything he writes before consulting the critics. Mark my words; Alastair Reynolds has the potential to retire as one of the few giants of sci-fi.

Thanks to your recommendation, I've started reading Revelation Space. Definitely a good read so far.

Before this, I read the first Uplift Trilogy by David Brin (Sundiver, Startide Rising, The Uplift War). A really cool concept and well executed.
Being right doesn't matter if no one listens.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:04 am

Kevin wrote:
Before this, I read the first Uplift Trilogy by David Brin (Sundiver, Startide Rising, The Uplift War). A really cool concept and well executed.

One of these days I'll get around to the second Uplift Trilogy, as I certainly enjoyed the original.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:17 am

"Rant" - Chuck Palahniuk. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rant_(novel) I like it a lot so far.

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:51 am

What good is a link to a Wiki page that has no information about the book? :-?

This might help a little more.
-Unknown Veteran

StrangeDay
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:27 pm

Currently, I'm reading:
The Long Goodbye by Raymond Chandler

Kevin wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

Thanks to your recommendation, I've started reading Revelation Space. Definitely a good read so far.

I have Revelation Space sitting on the book shelf, waiting for me to finish the other book. I'll have to look into the Uplife books when I'm done with Reynolds' books.

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:01 pm

Well I'm reading Watchmen and HTML For The World Wide Web by Elizabeth Castro from 2002~ :D

Gerbil Jedidiah
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:55 pm

Kevin wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

Agree 100% with Captain Ned. I've read all of Mr. Reynolds books (as far as I know) and feel he is one of the greats.
If you're not folding with your idle computer time you're not part of the solution.