Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Effective image preloading

Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:37 am

I have a javascript / DHTML menu system that is basically an accordion-style type drop out that automatically drops out the first level. In this level there are 4 thumbnail-ish images. If the cache of these images is not created beforehand, the dropout fails because the images aren't loaded fully. So to circumvent this, on the page before this page, I created a hidden div with those thumbnails in it. Providing they spend a half second on this page, it should cache them I'd think.

Is there a better way without the use of javascript? This was just the first thought I had.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Re: Effective image preloading

Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:52 am

I can't say that I keep up on the cutting edge of web coding techniques, but I think the consensus these days is to pre-load with CSS -- that's especially true since people are doing as much as possible, and sometimes everything including fancy pop/drop menus, without js so it works even on browsers with noscript, etc. You don't need to do it on the prior page, either -- if you were using javascript you can do it in the load event for the page, or you can stick them in the head tag, or whatever.

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:02 pm

Edit: Never mind. UG said what I wanted to say.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Topic Author

Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:49 pm

Oddly enough, my initial technique of using a div to hide all the images inside (display:none) did not work, however, adding a class where the display is set to none and apply said class to each image DOES work. Not sure why, but it works. So my initial CSS-based approach was correct in theory, but in practice the idea changes just a tad. Thanks!