Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

Murso24
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Macbook Pro news

Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:50 pm

what do you guys think is next for improvements for the next line of Macbook Pro's? we've seen a preview on OSX Snow Leopard and how its going to improve on hardware and compatibility with multicore systems. and when would the next line of macbook Pro's be coming out?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: Macbook Pro news

Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:01 am

they got a silent speed bump the day the new desktops came out. I don't think you'll see new MacBook Pros until after Snow Leopard ships.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:13 am

Speaking of which, when is Snow Leopard going to ship? It seems like its been more than a year since we first heard about it.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:54 am

They said when they first showed it at WWDC '08 (which was in June, so it's not been a year just yet, more like 9 months) that it would come out in "about a year". Development has been cruising along, with the most recent seed in early March showing nice progress. There are still some known issues, so I don't really expect it before WWDC 09 which hasn't been set officially yet but is expected to be in early June again this year.

Torrent sites are rampant with Snow Leopard seed leaks, but let's be honest - I don't want to f*** up a perfectly functional production environment with a beta OS. I don't mind running Win7 for Boot Camp because 1.) it's free and legal and 2.) I only use Windows for games. My OS X install is far too important to me to screw up - although I suppose I could if it was publicly available because of the awesomeness of Time Machine (which made migration to my new Mac very easy; I've been using the same "install" for a year because I could migrate from one to the next with little trouble).
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Murso24
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:07 pm

my other question would have to be..when would we (if ever) see price drops? especially on SSDs in the Macbook Pros?

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:13 pm

well, you can always get factory refurbs (which are packaged as and indistinguishable from new) if you want a lower price, but you're not able to customize them in the Apple store - not that you want to; Apple's upgrade prices are no different than Dell's or HP's (which is to say, **** terrible value).

As far as solid state storage, you might see a price drop mid-cycle (as was the case with rev A Macbook Airs) but usually you see component upgrade pricing changes at refresh points.

Combine paragraph 1 (that Apple-installed upgrades are pricy at best) and paragraph 2 (that they probably won't change the price until a refresh) and you get paragraph 3 (this one) which says "buy an SATA SSD on Newegg and install it yourself for the best deal". SSD prices are dropping. At refresh time, I fully expect a bump in capacity (to 256GB drives) or a price drop (128GB for 300? maybe. still not great.)