Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Re: Want a new mp3 player.

Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:08 am

Actually I have become a fan of Media Monkey, it has really allowed me to clean up my collection and sync's with a host of devices. So I can avoid Itunes and the Zune software.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."
If ignorance were painful, half the posters here would be on morphine drips.

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:00 pm

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:11 am

Thread Necro!!!!!

Can you believe I haven't gotten a player yet?!?! No kidding.

First I had a server upgrade to handle at home to clean up all my storage and get more online. I now have 2.1 TB online. Add to that I've been re-ripping my entire collection of CDs. 1) cause I haven't ever done it. 2) I am switching to VBR mp3s. I like the quality improvements and the size is generally the same compared to 192kbps. So I have been slamming CDs into the drive day and night to get it all encoded A - Z. Then I'll merge it with the stuff I have 'acquired' that I still want to keep.

(let stay off the piracy high horse. Most of that stuff that I have is simply because I have not been able to locate a physical copy of it. Which I prefer so I could encode it at a better quality. Seriously my CD purchasing went way back up when Napster was king, Down again since it's demise, since it made it so easy to find things, FM radio sucks and even satellite has been disappointing since the merger, a lot of the better stations are now gone.)

So I am back on the MP3 player market. Going to actually get one this time the ZEN and the Zune are leading the charge. If that new Nano had a FM tuner though it would be my choice. 16GB in that package is hard to pass up.

*sigh*

Most the the requirements are still the same. Budget isn't a major issue, but I am not going to over pay for an 8GB player if a 16GB can be had for the same or less.
"I used to think the brain was the most amazing organ in the entire body. Then I realized who was telling me this."

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:22 am

Creative Zen X-Fi. I don't have the X-Fi, but I do have the 8GB Zen and love it.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

lex-ington
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:24 am

I would like to voice one for the Sansa. My wife has the 4GB Sansa Clip and I have the 2GB version. I love portability without having to baby the device.

I find that the more you pay for an mp3 player, the more you pamper it . . . .and it still dies in the same time frame, so its all about rugged portability now . . . .at least for me that is.
. . . this is the digital projection of your mental self. . . .

morphine
TR Staff

Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:31 am

Samsung's 16GB players have also gotten pretty cheap.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:46 am

Hoser wrote:
Creative Zen X-Fi. I don't have the X-Fi, but I do have the 8GB Zen and love it.

I actually like the regular Zen buttons better, the only issue is I don't like the landscape only orientation or at least I haven't seen a way to switch it.

Still it's not a show stopper.

zgirl
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Topic Author

Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:04 pm

I should note that I am passing on the likes of the Samsung P2 since I really don't like touch interfaces on these kinds of devices. However the Q2 is looking promising.

Blazex
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:18 pm

how about one of the sony a438 models for 8gb and 40 hours rated battery life on a 3 hour charge? bestbuy selling em new for like $99 suppose to have pretty good sound reproduction.
doesn't use a software like creative or zune do, but like the sansa its more a drag and drop or win media player thing.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8954438&type=product&id=1216423923491
probably drinking some tea.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:43 pm

I have an 8Gb sony walkman.. I like it a lot. Shuffle feature doesn't seem to work that well is my only knock against it along with slow library creation and rebuilding, and slow file copy. If you can live with that, it's pretty solid for the price. Does video as well, variety of file formats, excellent battery life.

cygnus1
Gerbil

Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:50 pm

What sold me on the Zune, was the $15/month unlimited download subscription. And they sweetened that when they started giving 10 'buy' credit per month as well.

I've had the 120 GB version for about 6 months, and so far it's been pretty awesome. I'm incredibly happy to be rid of iTunes. Even without proper in-built song ratings (which you can just use WMP to do) the Zune software still trashes iTunes in performance.