Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, morphine, SecretSquirrel

kpolk
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Mar 11, 2002 4:28 pm

I've got the 8500 All-In-Wonder + Windows XP Professional. My experience is not a good one!

I've had a problem wherein the machine is randomly rebooted during normal use. This has happened while using pcAnywhere, while using Internet Explorer, and a couple other basic scenarios. No games or other taxing apps required.

It's a pretty nasty problem because it causes a blue-screen/reboot. After rebooting, Windows reports that it has recovered from a serious error (no kidding) and that the 8500 seems to be the culprit.

Yes, I am using the latest driver.

Anyway... I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this level of difficulties.

Spune
Gerbil XP

Mon Mar 11, 2002 4:36 pm

Have you read the blue screen? What did it say? If it just reboots and you don't get a chance to read it, you have to turn off autorestart in system properties/advanced/startup and recovery.

I used to get the IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL which means basically nothing. I eventually figured out that it was my firewall that caused it (stupid black ice).
There is no Spune!

kpolk
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Mon Mar 11, 2002 5:38 pm

The blue screen disappears too quickly, I'll try disabling the auto restart. FYI, I am not running any personal firewall software.

EnDlEsS
Gerbil

Sat Mar 16, 2002 2:22 am

If you recently upgrade to Radeon, please perform a clean install of Windows..

Coz you may get yourself in to driver conflict~~!

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite

Sat Mar 16, 2002 5:15 am

My Radeon install went smoothly.

Had Geforce 2 MX installed.
Booted into windows, went into device manager, uninstalled the GeForce 2 MX.

Shutdown windows.
Installed Radeon ( after removing GF2MX ) booted up, ignored windows wanting drivers, ran the SEtup on the CD, rebooted. Ran setup for newer drivers, rebooted.

Worked perfectly.

0oALio0

Sat Mar 16, 2002 12:57 pm

That's a lot of rebooting :smile:
No such luck for me though. Had to perform the full format :sad:

dmittner
Gerbil In Training

Tue Apr 02, 2002 6:03 pm

Well.. I'm both relieved and discouraged to find someone else having the same (or extremely similar) problem as I am -- for a while I thought it was my bad card and, of course, I lost the receipt.

Anyway... since no answer has been provided yet, I'll just throw in my info. My system has a fresh install of WinXP, which I put on due to it being required by the 8500DV. I'm about 95% sure I have the latest drivers but will check again tonight. My system specs are as follows:

Athlon T-Bird 700
2x256MB SDRAM
40GB Maxtor HD (4 10GB partitions)
Windows XP Pro
DirectX 8.1 (came w/ WinXP)
Soundblaster Live Value
Currently unused generic NIC

Now I haven't had the luxury of the blue screen of death. My reboots are quick, ugly, and apparently for no reason. In addition to reboots, it also just freezes from time to time. I've even had these actions take place while the computer is in sleep mode.

Lastly, just to make sure it wasn't something else on my system, I threw in my ATI Rage Fury and I'm not having any apparant problems.

I notice it's been a while since this topic was started. Did the auto-restart trick work?

hunger
Gerbil In Training

Thu Apr 04, 2002 12:56 pm

for the XP users, try installing the card, let XP install it's own drivers, then install w/ the drivers from ragefury.com see if that works, also if you're using anything w/ the via chipset, y ou may want to go to viahardware.com there's a 'fix' for agp cards for XP and also a set of drivers to upgrade the via chipset...*i'm running win2k w/ a radeon 8500 no problems here, but the AGP update from viahardware.com boosted my card performance*

cip
Gerbil

Thu Apr 04, 2002 2:35 pm

Are you sure your power supply is sufficiently strong for your setup?

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Fri Apr 05, 2002 2:36 pm

Here at work, I've heard of this happening before (XP randomly rebooting on people). I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with any of the cases, but the people that were having this problem didn't have Radeons of any type for video.

yashooa
Gerbil In Training

Mon Apr 08, 2002 11:55 am

I have XP on five of my machines and two of them are running Radeons one is a 7500 and one is an 8500. I have the 6052 drivers and these cards run great no problems at all. Just beatifull games and smooth gameplay. I have copper ram sinks on my 8500. It is overclocked to 315 core and 640 mhz on the ram. My cpu's are overclocked as well. I havent had single problem or incompatibility.

edited: 04-09-02
I have added another 8500 now and it runs fine with 6052's in XP.
Last edited by yashooa on Tue Apr 09, 2002 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Khopesh
Gerbil Team Leader

Easy Solution

Mon Apr 08, 2002 1:09 pm

There's one surefire way to tell if it's the Radeon, take it out of the system and run with a spare card for a bit. If it works then you can narrow it down to the Radeon %100 and at a minimum get the manufacturer to replace it. If it fails after that then you can be reasonably certain it's a problem with the brand of card itself rather than a isolated hardware failure. That's what I'd recommend anyway....