Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nelliesboo

riviera74
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

a newer small green system build

Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:41 am

Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

eric93se
Graphmaster Gerbil
Location: Home of the most reprehensible false flag attack in the world.

Re: a newer small green system build

Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:57 am

Are you going to play games with this system? If not, the video card isn't necessary. The onboard video is capable of playing the basic online games and HD video as well. Also the onboard audio is quite good, most people use **** plastic computer speakers, the onboard audio is plenty good for them.
Increase your half open TCIP connections with the Half-open.com utility.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:13 pm

I agree. The Xonar would be very cool, but unless your speakers are at least worth $50, it won't make a noticeable difference. If you game, the graphics card (or its big brother, the 4830) is a sensible option. If not, the onboard GPU is good enough for anything.

Everything else looks good!
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

riviera74
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:15 pm

The only game I would play on this system is SimCity Societies, not a high-end game, so your point about not needing a separate video card is well-taken. As for the sound card, my experience with onboard sound is that it often introduces a lot of noise in the signal. I am using Altec Lansing VS4221 speaker set, so good sound is required. (I presently use a Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live.)
Omen by HP Desktop: Core i5-7400, 8GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050, 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

eric93se
Graphmaster Gerbil
Location: Home of the most reprehensible false flag attack in the world.

Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:14 pm

Honestly for those speakers the onboard ALC889A chip will be fine. The S/N ratio for the MB is over 100dB, while according to the specs on the speakers the S/N is >80, so the audio comming out of the MB is cleaner than what the amp/speakers can produce. But its your money!
Increase your half open TCIP connections with the Half-open.com utility.

Forge
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:20 pm

riviera74 wrote:
As for the sound card, my experience with onboard sound is that it often introduces a lot of noise in the signal.

Just curious, not knocking on you, but how old is that experience with onboard audio? If we're talking stuff older than 2-3 years ago, and/or the lowest of low-end, I'd agree, but onboard audio has come a *very* long way in the last few years. I've used the onboard on my 680i, P35, and now 780i mobos, and have no complaints. I have fairly high end speakers, too.
Please don't edit my signature for me. Thanks.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:28 pm

Forge wrote:
riviera74 wrote:
As for the sound card, my experience with onboard sound is that it often introduces a lot of noise in the signal.

Just curious, not knocking on you, but how old is that experience with onboard audio? If we're talking stuff older than 2-3 years ago, and/or the lowest of low-end, I'd agree, but onboard audio has come a *very* long way in the last few years. I've used the onboard on my 680i, P35, and now 780i mobos, and have no complaints. I have fairly high end speakers, too.

On-board audio has come a long way. It took forever to move past AC97. I still say it has some ways to go, especially in user simplicity and universal driver support.

riviera74
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:49 pm

Forge wrote:
riviera74 wrote:

Yes, the last time I used onboard audio was about four years ago. Very bad implementation of AC97. That was the reason I got a SB Live then at only about $20 at Best Buy, which was really cheap back then and the quality went from just awful to just fabulous. I will certainly try out the onboard audio before buying/installing the Xonar though to see if that is true.

sub.mesa
Gerbil

Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:28 am

If you want decent audio pick onboard sound. If you want good audio pick S/PDIF digital output - all you need from your computer for 100% intact sound. You still need an amplifier/DAC to convert the digital sound into analog signals ofcourse, but due to the radiation in your computer case that's really not the best place to do it. ;-)

So i'd argue you never need a seperate sound card on a modern system.