Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, notfred

silvervoid23
Gerbil
Topic Author

Linux at home or at work?

Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:35 pm

Where do you guys usually use Linux (or Unix) at home or at work? I use it a lot at work. Two Red Hat AS 4 and three Solaris machines hold my development LDAP servers, along with a windows 2k3 server. Though honestly I'm really new at this stuff, but I managed to get fairly comfortable with the command line and use it for most of the things I do (including viewing log files and hacking config files with vi, mostly).

I set up Fedora 10 on my home computer by setting aside like 25 gigs on a seperate partition for it. It mostly works, though it took me a long time to manage to get it to work with my wireless nic and my video card (That was the biggest pain in the rear, since I kept making incremental progress but I hit a wall fairly often). I'm still struggling to get it to work with my sound card, but I hear from many many google searches that Creative isn't exactly Linux friendly. Other than that little snag it works fairly well, and I'm having a lot of fun with those Compiz Fusion desktop effects. :) Visually it's beautiful. Still mostly use windows though, I doubt I'll be able to kick it for a long long time.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Linux at home or at work?

Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:13 pm

I run two Linux machines at home. Both Gentoo and one is the hardened SELinux derivitive.

I'm proud to say that I have finally got my printer hanging off the server and now my GF can print anytime she wants without asking if I'm in Windows.

I don't know what took me so long. It was surprisingly easy.
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:07 am

My home desktop dual-boots between Windows XP (for games) and Ubuntu 8.10.

I run two fileswervers at work, one runs Ubuntu 8.10 (which I'm unhappy about; hardware reasons) and the other Debian 5.0, which integrates with our Active Directory.

My work Macbook 2,1 duals between 10.5.6 (it's a Unix) and Vista 64 SP1 (I don't recommend the latter, only because Apple won't provide 64-bit drivers), another old work laptop duals between XP Tablet and Ubuntu 9.04, and there's an old Socket-A desktop that runs whatever I'm in the mood for.

I've been a Debian weenie for ten years plus a month, now. Dammit, when did I get old?
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Momento Mori
Gerbil First Class

Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:33 am

Dual Boot at home between Vista x64 and OpenSUSE.

nerdrage
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:46 am

Dual boot at home with XP32 and Ubuntu64 8.10. I use Windows mostly for games and web surfing, Ubuntu for development purposes for the classes I'm taking. I'm running both ATi and Creative drivers in Ubuntu with no problems whatsoever. I also run several Windows VMs on Ubuntu using VirtualBox for testing purposes. Previously I ran a separate Debian server to run Teamspeak and Ventrilo servers for friends to use, but when the hard drive died I never replaced it. I have also run IPCop since 2003 (currently on an old P2-450 laptop) which serves as my firewall/NAT box.

At my last job I ran Fedora 8 as my main OS. Had a lot of fun trying to get dual LCDs up and running with the nVidia drivers :evil: Eventually I became the office "expert" on how to do so. :lol:
i5-9600K · Z390 Aorus Pro · 16GB G.Skill DDR4-3200 · MSI TwinFrozr HD7850 · Intel 760p 512GB · WD 1TB · HP ZR24w · Corsair VX450 · Antec Solo · Win10/Ubuntu 18.10

bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:28 am

silvervoid23 wrote:
Where do you guys usually use Linux (or Unix) at home or at work?

Both! I'm perhaps more Linux-only than most people. I ditched Windows completely in 2000 (booting natively -- I still use the occasional VM), and I'd been dual booting since 1995. Actually, at that time, I had a dedicated 486DX4 "overdrive" 75Mhz machine with Linux -- and before I ditched Windows I alternated between dual-boots and dedicated machines, depending on my current hardware. When I was introduced to Linux, it was at this "computer programming camp" (during the summer, in middle school). Some of the older guys were using it, and I specifically remember wanting to try Linux because I was impressed that you could change the console font. One of the guys was using the "scrawl" font, and somehow that sold me on the concept. :lol: I also use a lot of other open-source and commercial Unixes for various reasons (some just out of curiosity). I especially like to try the ones that require non-x86 architectures.

At work: well currently I'm a CS grad student, and systems is my area of research (operating systems work and distributed systems often in the context of HPC, although before that I did compilers and PL), so I deal with Linux a lot. A lot of OS researchers tend to use Linux as a base for modification. The computers labs here are all dual boot between Linux and Windows. A lot of our infrastructure is run on either Linux or Solaris.

I've worked at various real(TM) jobs (part time and full time in the summer), and we've used Linux in some capacity at all of them. When I worked at the Fed in economic research, all of the HPC clusters to run their simulations were Linux-based. Some of the research economists ran Linux on their desktop too, and all of the IT staff did. Later, I worked at a computer security startup spun out of my school, and everything was Linux-based there. Since we dealt with malware, we had to run Windows in VMs to analyze that stuff, but the infrastructure was all Linux, and most of the developers chose Linux desktops (except for a few OS X guys). Later I worked at IBM and IBM Research, developing filesystem code for Linux and AIX.

Did I mention I'm a longtime member of the local LUG? :lol:

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:40 pm

Both. Work has a Linux web server. I have to get in there and tinker with it every once in a while.

At home, I have Ubuntu 8.04 LTS server installed. It's functions as a home web server and the plan is to make it a file and print server too. I should probably get an Atom based machine for all this.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:52 pm

bitvector wrote:
Later I worked at IBM and IBM Research, developing filesystem code for Linux and AIX.

So, should I be thanking you for JFS?
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:34 pm

Not been using Linux for quite as long as bitvector, but I'm pure Linux at both home and work and have been for maybe 5 years now. Ubuntu 8.10 on my desktop and my wife's desktop at home with Debian Lenny on the server. Just got a new laptop at work yesterday and put Ubuntu 9.04 RC on it. Also have my work compile beast that's running our internal version of RHEL.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:49 pm

Both.

At home, I've had a couple of Linux servers (one file server and one web server) for many years; I've just recently switched to Ubuntu 8.10 for my primary desktop as well. (I still have an XP box for gaming and other stuff that requires Windows, but I spend most of my time on the Linux box these days.)

At work I have an Ubuntu 8.04 box (with dual 21" monitors) as my primary desktop. I keep a Remote Desktop session open to my Windows XP box for the inevitable Windows-only stuff.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

bitvector
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:39 pm

titan wrote:
So, should I be thanking you for JFS?

Nope: the final version of JFS was pretty much finished by the time I was an undergrad. I worked on GPFS, their commercial high-performance distributed/cluster filesystem.