Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, SecretSquirrel, just brew it!

SleepNever
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

XP gives Error 1825 when trying to connect to my web service

Mon May 04, 2009 12:04 pm

I've been creating a an application with C# using W2k8+IIS7/SQLExpress 2008/Web Service/Windows Client. I'll be very upfront in that I'm learning how to setup the SQL and IIS and the security for it all. I don't need tight SSL security or any of that, since this is an intranet page inside my company. I do know I setup SQL and IIS to use NTAUTH_SERVICE and that SQL is in mixed mode.

Everything is working on Vista and Win7, except on Windows XPSP3 x86 which will not talk to the service. The purpose of the windows client is to gather the machine specs via WMI and then send it to the web service. Even when I install VS 2008 SP1 on the machine to do some remote debugging (Attach to Process on my server), I get this Error Code 1825:

Windows Error Message 1825: 'RPC_S_SEC_PKG_ERROR' A security package specific error occurred.

I found this http://www.pc-library.com/errors/error-code/1825-0x721/ which tells me the problem, but not really how to fix it. I'm hoping it has something to do with the server and not on a per-client machine basis.

Thanks in advance!

Master Kenobi
Gerbil First Class

Re: XP gives Error 1825 when trying to connect to my web service

Tue May 05, 2009 6:29 am

It looks to be server side, and it looks like the problem is XP being older than Vista/7 (Thus missing some defaults/features). If your IIS Server is atleast 2003, take a look at this article.
http://www.boyce.us/gp/gpcontent.asp?ID=108

For specific code, MSDN discusses the differences between QOS versions, you might need to step it down a notch on the server to handle the XP clients. XP seems to only support Version 2, where as Vista/7/Server 2008 support up to Version 4, and Server 2003 supports up to Version 3. I'd say the easy answer then would be to reconfigure the 2003 IIS serveR (I assume your using 2003) and simply step the QOS version down to Version 2. I'm not entirely sure if this needs to be done within the program code or if there is a registry shortcut you could add/modify to do the same. I'm leaning towards needing to specify the version in the code itself.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa378647(VS.85).aspx

Here's the technet page detailing most of QoS.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 37728.aspx
i7-6700k @ 4.00GHz | Gigabyte Gaming-5 | GTX 980 4GB | 4x8 (32GB) DDR4-2400 Corsair Vengeance LPX | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD | 1x 3TB WD Green HDD

SleepNever
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue May 05, 2009 2:28 pm

Thanks for the comment. I'm actually using Windows 2008 Standard Server and IIS7. I'll take a look at the links you sent me, since that stuff is new to me and see if it sets me on the right track towards a solution. Any ideas with IIS7 in mind?

Thanks!

SleepNever
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2009 7:18 pm

Well, it's not just XP anymore. W2k3 R2 has the same problem. I have some very knowledgeable network peeps helping me out at work right now debugging this thing. When I get an answer... IF I get an answer... I'll post for all to see. If anyone has any more suggestions, jump in!

SleepNever
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Thu May 07, 2009 11:58 am

Spent about 2 hours pouring over IIS, Server 2008, networking, my code and my networking buddy decided to change the Connection Timeout time in my IIS website to 8 mins instead of the default 2 mins. -- It fixed the silently thrown RPC error i was getting on both XP and 2k3 and let the data send. We're not sure if this is the fix or just a work-around for now.

I'll keep this thread updated as I find out more for anyone else out there on the net. :D

Master Kenobi
Gerbil First Class

Fri May 08, 2009 7:32 am

That's odd, if it requires more than 2 minutes to get a response then you've got a different problem. Challenge response should never take 2+ minutes to perform. Something might be bottlenecked on the network.
i7-6700k @ 4.00GHz | Gigabyte Gaming-5 | GTX 980 4GB | 4x8 (32GB) DDR4-2400 Corsair Vengeance LPX | Windows 10 Pro x64 | 1x 1TB Samsung EVO SSD | 1x 3TB WD Green HDD

SleepNever
Gerbil In Training
Topic Author

Tue May 12, 2009 5:23 pm

Yep, it is odd. Very odd. However, I can tell you the chances of bottlenecks here are very likely and I've encountered them before with the thousands of machines on the network, all the policies and services running on the machines, etc.

I don't know enough about IIS and the underlying HTTP stuff to understand why this setting made it work. I plan on setting up a private topology off of the main network to try this with the default 2mins and see what happens.

Also curious, besides the MSDN links you provided having the error message I was getting in them, do you know why/what QoS has to do with the RPC Security problem? Thanks!