Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, Captain Ned

mthguy
Gerbil
Topic Author

help, want music in the kitchen.

Mon May 11, 2009 12:26 pm

I have a big music collection, I just got an iPhone and really enjoy using the remote app to control my iTunes library and fill the house with good music. i would like to wire up (or preferably wirelessly up ;-) ) some cheap speakers with decent sound quality in my kitchen so i can listen to my tunes while making food/eating breakfast without having to pump the tunes so loud the neighbors complain. i am not opposed to building a cheap low power computer for the kitchen, but was hoping to just get speakers up in there that i could control with my iPhone. anyway, i am open to suggestions, so please let me know what you think are good options for either speakers or components for building something to suit my purposes.

Thanks alot
Mathematics is not a language, it’s an adventure. Most mathematics is done with a friend over a cup of coffee, with a
diagram scribbled on a napkin. As Gauss once remarked, “What we need are notions, not notations.”

Norphy
Gerbil Team Leader

Re: help, want music in the kitchen.

Mon May 11, 2009 12:45 pm

Sounds to me that an Airport Express would be ideal!

mthguy
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon May 11, 2009 1:13 pm

the iPhone is my only apple device (other than previous iPods) does the airport work with PCs pretty seemlessly, and what speakers would someone recommend for this project either for use with the airport or with an alternative?
Mathematics is not a language, it’s an adventure. Most mathematics is done with a friend over a cup of coffee, with a
diagram scribbled on a napkin. As Gauss once remarked, “What we need are notions, not notations.”

Norphy
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon May 11, 2009 1:36 pm

It doesn't care whether it connects to a Windows machine or a Mac. iTunes detects the iTunes Express on the network and allows you to stream music to it.

Any old set of speakers would do, the device just has a standard 3.5mm jack on it. I have a pair of Edifier MP300 Plus speakers on my computer, they're nice and compact and make a lot of noise, can't fault them really.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon May 11, 2009 1:51 pm

I recommend a smaller set of active (amplified) bookshelf-type speakers for music. If you want to get something decent for not too much money, try M-Audio Studiophile Series (sold at Amazon). They seem to be pretty price competative. Plugs right into the 1/8" stereo jack on the Airport express.

mthguy
Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon May 11, 2009 5:02 pm

i like the suggestions although i was hoping to mount the speakers such that they were somewhat tucked away, or at least small enough to not be an eye sore, the wife would like something that i can mount to the underside of the cabinets. idk what makes the most sense, i just really would like to have my music available without much hassle.

also is there anything comparable to the apple airport that is cheaper?