Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, mac_h8r1, Nemesis

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Now *this* is how you fix a computer

Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:55 am

Some people throw out broken parts, but this guy bakes 'em. I wonder if/why this works.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

tsoulier
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Re: Now *this* is how you fix a computer

Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:06 am

Sweet !
Core I7 2600K @ 4.6 | Asrock P67 Extreme 4 | 16 gig Corsair | EVGA Superclocked GTX 780 | Samsung 840 Pro SSD | Seasonic X-850 W

Phenom II 940 @ 3.6 | Gigabyte MA78G-DS3HP | 2x2 gig G-Skill dr2 800 | 500 W Seasonic | WD 640 HDD | EVGA GTX 570

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:55 am

Well, the temp he used is right about the melting point of solder, so theoretically this procedure could fix a dodgy solder connection (assuming he doesn't fatally cook any of the components, which is a significant risk). I think putting it component side down was probably a mistake; if he had really gotten all of the solder hot enough to reflow it, some of the components would've dropped off the board! (He must've gotten lucky, and taken it just far enough to fix the bad connection without completely desoldering the components...)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

titan
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:10 am

Well, if it were flipped the other way wouldn't there be a risk of the components compressing the solder thereby spreading it and making incidental connections?
The best things in life are free.
http://www.gentoo.org
Guy 1: Surely, you will fold with me.
Guy 2: Alright, but don't call me Shirley.

DreadCthulhu
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:28 am

There is a simple solution to the solder flowing problem - just do the heating in a zero-G enviroment! :)
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use violence well before last resorts are necessary.

If violence isn't solving your problems, then you aren't using enough of it.

Meadows
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:38 am

DreadCthulhu wrote:
There is a simple solution to the solder flowing problem - just do the heating in a zero-G enviroment! :)

Watch out for the necromorphs.

sluggo
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:37 am

titan wrote:
Well, if it were flipped the other way wouldn't there be a risk of the components compressing the solder thereby spreading it and making incidental connections?

It wouldn't work that way. The reflowed solder is significantly more dense than the attached parts. The parts would literally float on the molten solder and would center themselves on the pads as a result of surface tension. And the solder itself is constrained by that same surface tension to stay directly over the metal pad on the board.

As fas as parts falling off, I think only the very heaviest parts (coils, stuff with heatsinks attached) are at risk of falling off, as even molten solder is "sticky" enough (surface tension again) to retain most SMT components against the force of gravity.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action - Goethe

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:54 pm

I might still have a Leadtek 5900 (overclockable past Ultra speeds) that suffered Mail Failure with resulting cracked BGA solder connections on some of the memory chips. Guess I should try this just for the fun of it, although I think that one had electrolytic caps onboard that will need to be pulled first.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration