Personal computing discussed

Moderators: renee, David, Thresher

henfactor
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Apple Rant.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:54 pm

It's December 08, our computer is hitting the ten year mark (PIII ;)) and we're convinced by a Best Buy sales guy that a Mac is for us. Fair enough, we'd been eying them for a while. So, $2200 (CAD) later, we have a nice shiny 24" iMac. No problem. We never shut it off, as it is the home computer and really, who shuts off computers anymore?

Within the last month, we noticed it was becoming slow, so naturally we went through the hard drive clean-ups and background app checks. But nothing seemed to do it.

After a while, we noticed it was hot, really hot. Like HD 62C and PSU 84C. Too hot for my liking, so I did a Google search and, low and behold, these 24" iMacs are notorious for overheating. Great...

Currently I'm using smcFanControl to manually get temps down, but smcFanControl doesn't throttle the fan speed based on temp, just preset numbers, so it's quite loud at the moment.

Now I'm in a pickle, as we still have about six months worth of warranty on a computer that is going to burn itself out, we just don't know when.

A simple update from Apple would be all (I think) to remedy this problem that I know I'm not the only one facing. :(

What do you think? Should I just burn it out and get a new one? Or should I just keep manually controlling fan speeds and deal with the noise? I'm certainly not holding my breath for an update at this point.

-HF
If common sense is so common, why don't more people have it?

Skrying
Gerbil Jedi

Re: Apple Rant.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:59 pm

I would call up support right now and tell them about the issue.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:02 pm

Yeah, I'd call support.

And if you like to control fan speeds (and really, who doesn't?) try this:

smcFanControl2

You can set minimum fan speeds, so if you're not happy wiht your temps (and really those are kinda high) you can push them to be something more manageable in the meantime.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

PetMiceRnice
Gerbil XP

Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:05 pm

henfactor wrote:
We never shut it off, as it is the home computer and really, who shuts off computers anymore?

I shut down my computer when it is not in use, rather than run up the power bill for no real reason (at least to me).

But sorry to hear of your problem, I would definitely take it up with Apple. The temperatures are causing issues for you from what you describe, plus I don't like temperatures that high either for the same reasons you mention.

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:07 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Yeah, I'd call support.

smcFanControl2

You can set minimum fan speeds, so if you're not happy wiht your temps (and really those are kinda high) you can push them to be something more manageable in the meantime.

Bad reading comprehension :wink: Another for calling tech support immediately. Apple charges all that damn headway, there better be some good support to come with it.

Also my computer seems to heat up my room. I like it cold so that means it's off when i'm not on it.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:08 pm

PetMiceRnice wrote:
I shut down my computer when it is not in use, rather than run up the power bill for no real reason (at least to me).

Well, I agree with the concept of saving power. I prefer to just let my computers sleep.

That said, it definitely sounds like sleep was disabled, which is not really a nice way to treat what is, ultimately, a portable computer.

Hey, let's use smcFanControl2! (i like repeating things, and yes, I missed it the first time. Eat **** and live! :p)
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

henfactor
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:10 pm

Skrying wrote:
I would call up support right now and tell them about the issue.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... ID=9388848

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=343504

It definitely looks like they know about it.
derFunkenstein wrote:
Yeah, I'd call support.

smcFanControl2

Probably should have been more specific, I'm running smcFanControl 2.2.2

henfactor
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:13 pm

Heiwashin wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
Yeah, I'd call support.

smcFanControl2

Bad reading comprehension :wink: Another for calling tech support immediately. Apple charges all that damn headway, there better be some good support to come with it.

Also my computer seems to heat up my room. I like it cold so that means it's off when i'm not on it.

This better be a good call! I'll do it later today and see what they have to say, though I still think they know about it.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:15 pm

They might know about it (where "it" is high temps), but they probably don't know about yours in particular - if you're throttling (which is what it sounds like), I'd call anyway. Explain that you're getting severe slow-downs when the system is under load adn tell them waht temps you're observing.

Apple's support is awesome. They've fixed problems on 3 machines for me and friends. Every time they did it right, without hassle.

henfactor
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:17 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
They might know about it (where "it" is high temps), but they probably don't know about yours in particular - if you're throttling (which is what it sounds like), I'd call anyway. Explain that you're getting severe slow-downs when the system is under load adn tell them waht temps you're observing.

Apple's support is awesome. They've fixed problems on 3 machines for me and friends. Every time they did it right, without hassle.

Well if I have to pay for it it better be awesome! :wink: I'm scheduling a call now...

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:21 pm

You sholdn't have to pay a dime. Everything has been free in our experience as long as the machine was under warranty.

henfactor
Gerbil Team Leader
Topic Author

Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:27 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
You sholdn't have to pay a dime. Everything has been free in our experience as long as the machine was under warranty.

I just had a nice talk with a guy from Ontario. I was over the 90 day free call limit, but he let me slide.

He just told me to run some test of which I passed them all.

He was alright with the smcFanControl fix for now, but he said I should bring it in anyway.

derFunk, you were right, Apple tech support is very good!

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:23 am

[quote="Heiwashin".....there better be some good support to come with it.
[/quote]

Apple support is top notch. If you are lucky enough to have a Apple store near you their Genuis' are really good. (I am sure most of it is a shtick, but damn if they fracking helpful.)

I took my Laptop in for a fan acting up, it was fixed in 10 min and then some Apple Genius sat with me for over an hour showing me things on my laptop.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:45 am

Great, good support is one of the things i expect when paying a premium over competitors.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:59 am

Heiwashin wrote:
Great, good support is one of the things i expect when paying a premium over competitors.

Its because of that, support, I splurged and dove into the pool.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!